Audio Library On A Tight Budget

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've been in the market for a music server for a while, I thought the Sonos was great but too pricey when you consider peripherals (roughly$1000.00+), the Squeezbox was limited by it's architecture, it's Linux based and it requires you to download it's software into a NAS (you need an NAS or a PC.) The DUET looks promising but it hasn't hit the market yet and it will be $400.00, not exactly cheap either and it'll probably be limited as well.

The other day noodling around a couple of pro audio sites, I stumbled upon the most unlikely option for my needs. Of all things, it's marketed to professional DJs, it's called the Cortex HDC-500 Digital Music Controller, it retails for about $250.00 and the beauty of it is that you don't need a PC running or an expensive NAS, all you need is a common low priced external hard rive, Cortex provides the software for you to rip and burn and create lists. The unit supports MP3 and WAV files. Obviously this is a non option for those wanting a "media" server that also supports video, but for those looking for an audio library that won't break the bank, this looks like the way to go. I did the cost comparison and it's a no-brainer. The unit will cost me $250.00, a Nady Pro amp (400 watts) $179.00, (I had no extra amp lying about), 2 500 Gig drives (one for backup) $250.00, so I'm looking for a grand total of $679.00 for a complete system, I have an old pre-amp that I don't use so it'll come back to work again, speakers I already have. For the features that it brings, that you most likely will never use at home, (remember this is marketed to pro audio users, in this case pro DJs) it can't be beat.

There's a couple of other brands producing something similar, but they're more money. Denon, Numark and Cortex are the best of the lot. Cortex has the right unit for my needs.

http://www.cortex-pro.com/hdc_500.php

I'm ordering the system tomorrow and I'll post as soon as I get it installed and running, this system will become the nerve center for my whole-house audio library.

Any of you guys looking for a budget library this might be what you need.
I posted a bit on this in the general a/v forum, but I think it's better here.

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The Duet will be the same as the Squeezebox from what I can tell from the slimdevices site. It's just the Squeezebox separated into controller and remote. If you want to play local files it still has to talk to the 'server' which will be a PC running the SlimServer software.

The Turtle Beach Audiotron started the whole audio streaming category and it stored everything internally so didn't require a PC or an external drive. This device you are talking about sounds like a hybrid. It will use the external drive for storage but the software to retrieve the files and decode them will onboard in the firmware - similar to the Audiotron.

It does sound interesting though and I'd like to hear your impressions of it once you get it all set up.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It's definitely more affordable than the Fireball. Having said that, I'm very happy with the Fireball. It finds and plays songs quickly, virtually without delay. And I like having the album art downloaded. Trying to use the PS3 streaming files from the PC is simply an excersize in patience. It takes forever to do anything. Besides, the Fireball was my wife's choice (read: demand) of component, but in this case I was more than happy to oblige her.

I'll be interested to hear your comments on search/load times and general usability.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Well guys I did a complete 180! Instead of opting for Cortex, I did something totally different. Frustrated by the thought of making a bad decision, I expanded my search (whew! This has chewed up 80+ hours of my life on Google! ), went to Dell, they had some nifty deals going (I know, I've said it before I'm not a fan of Dell, BUT this is not my primary computer and the deal was too good to pass up!)I bought an Inspiron 530, custom configured including a 17 inch flat display, Intel Core Duo processor 4MB L2 cache- 2.33 GHz, 1333 FSB Processor, 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 RAM @ 667 MHz-2DIMMs, 250 Gig SATA HDD, 48X CDRW/DVD combo, Windows Vista Home Basic all for $539.00 before tax and shipping (approx. 75.00), I also ordered Turtle Beach's Montego DDL sound card to replace what comes with the Dell, The Montego has some nice features like S/PDIF in and out, supports Dolby Digital and DTS all for the price of 67.74 including shipping. Next came Snap Stream Media's Firefly PC Remote bundled with Beyond Media which allows complete control of PC from remote (it also supports MediaMonkey, my software of choice for music)you can even do play lists on the fly! All of this for $77.39 including shipping and taxes! So for a total of $759.13 I have a dedicated MUSIC LIBRARY that allows for expansion in the future and video.

By comparison the Cortex and peripherals came in at about $510.00, the drawbacks no display, no remote, no MediaMonkey support, NO digital in nor out!, forced to buy two external HDDs.

The Sonos out of the gate was too expensive, to configure it to what I need $2000.00+, Sonos plus Infrant Ready NAS (1050.00)

The Duet came in at $400.00, not available till end of month, if added computer about $1000.00 and change, still more than the PC based system, plus the PC display is 17" while the Duet has a 2.4" display.

Overall I think the PC based system is the way to go for a budget MUSIC LIBRARY, only as long as you can pick up a PC at an excellent price, that's the only way I thought it was worth it. PM if you want details and particulars.:)

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I think I will call you both sides now or Judy for short.;)

Sounds like a nice solution. A few years back I wanted a music server without a PC being required. Therefore, I purchased a used Yamaha MCx-1000 on e-bay for $300, upgraded the hard drive to 300gb for $125, and purchased a used standalone DAC for $250. I have about 400 albums on it with room for about 60 more eventually. The nice part for me was all PCM without compressed formats Loss less or not. Good luck with your method.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Muuuuud, just call me Juuuudy!:D I'm hyped about my new library! Have you any experience with MediaMonkey?

Senior Audioholic
I just use my Tivo-HD, it's already attached to my network and my HTS.

I only need to install the Tivo Desktop software on the computer that has all my mp3 files and set the directory.

Operation is simple as using the Tivo remote. All the shared directories and files show on the TV. It has the standard play modes you would find on any mp3 player.

BTW: Anyone with a Tivo series 2 or 3 can run this. An added benefit is I can transfer recorded TV programs right off the Tivo, convert them to mpegs and burn them to DVD.

If you were starting from scratch I would recommend a PC and something like a Linksys music bridge. You don't need anything faster than a 1Ghz to stream audio, and that's probably overkill, you just want something that will run XP decently and put the bulk of your money into hard drives. PC plenty capable can be found on your local Craig's list for $100, and a bigger hard drive and you are set.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.download.com/MediaMonkey-Standard/3000-2141_4-10109807.html

I have no experience with it but it appears to be a good file manager. I have conversed with people that had the squeeze box and are quite pleased with the FLAC. I will be most interested in your thoughts when you have it installed. Better get a good book to read while loading your music, however.
Yup, to be frank, I don't relish the thought of ripping an entire CD collection, 400+ at last count. And most will be ripped in their entirety.:eek:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Well all things are scheduled to arrive today (freak of nature), so I guess I'll have a busy weekend putting all things together. Hopefully installing the soundcard will be an easy thing. I'll keep posting till all finished.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Well my Montego card arrived this morning! And my PC just got here! Now I need my Firefly to show up and my cable from BJC. Today I'll get my RAID solution, I'm looking at:

http://www.sansdigital.com/mobilestor/ms2ut.html

Which looks nice has received good reviews and I can pack 2 TBs of uncompressed music!

OK! my BJC just showed up, great service, ordered Sunday got it right now!

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Well my Montego card arrived this morning! And my PC just got here! Now I need my Firefly to show up and my cable from BJC. Today I'll get my RAID solution, I'm looking at:

http://www.sansdigital.com/mobilestor/ms2ut.html

Which looks nice has received good reviews and I can pack 2 TBs of uncompressed music!

OK! my BJC just showed up, great service, ordered Sunday got it right now!
That is not an NAS solution, you would have to connect it to your local computer. I would suggest an NAS storage device, if you want to go the network route that is. That was it will be out of sight out of mind.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
That is not an NAS solution, you would have to connect it to your local computer. I would suggest an NAS storage device, if you want to go the network route that is. That was it will be out of sight out of mind.
Hey K,

Yup I know, I decided not to go the NAS route, I think this will fit my bill, as I get this together sometime this weekend I'll post results, all I need now is the Firefly to arrive.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Dell is short for Dumb Electronics Losing Life.

Hopefully yours will last longer than the 5,000+ units we have at work... in which case the HDD's die at the same time 4 years from purchase, and PSU's randomly poop out.

Even the new Optiplex series we have is junk!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Dell is short for Dumb Electronics Losing Life.

Hopefully yours will last longer than the 5,000+ units we have at work... in which case the HDD's die at the same time 4 years from purchase, and PSU's randomly poop out.

Even the new Optiplex series we have is junk!
It was so cheap that I really don't mind, I crunched numbers for the last 80+ hours, this is the best solution at the best price. I'll replace most of this stuff before 4 years anyway.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
You are unlikely to run it as hard as a work computer. I purchased my son a Dell two years ago and have not had one problem with it.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
UPS just dropped off my Firefly!!!! WoooHooo, I've got a busy weekend in front of me!!!!

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
So, is it up and going? Have you burned your Bay City Rollers collection yet?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis