Audio Delay setting on STR-DA7ES?

• Thread starter James Sponaugle
  • Start date
J

James Sponaugle

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I'm considering the Sony STR-DA7ES (or possibly the DA5ES) receiver for my HT, and I would like to know if it has an overall adjustable audio delay for all channels.  Could someone that has this unit look in the manual and tell me if it has this feature?  Oddly, there doesn't seem to be any information on Sony's site about the 7ES (although there are some basic specs on the 5ES).  They don't seem to have the ES manuals online either.  I may add some video processing, and I want to make sure I can delay the audio to avoid lipsync issues.

Thanks!
James</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hey- Sony provides one owner's manual for both the STR-DA4/7ES receivers. Although my 4 is not hooked up yet, I have studied the manual in detail and see no mention of speaker delay settings. To Sony's credit, this receiver has more EQ options than any I have ever encountered. &nbsp; BTW, except for 3 zone/ room capability and an extra 10 watts per channel, the 7 is identical to the 4, and costs about 1/2 as much. &nbsp; &nbsp;HTH, &nbsp; &quot;mrloudness&quot;</font>

J

James Sponaugle

Audiophyte
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>Hey- Sony provides one owner's manual for both the STR-DA4/7ES receivers. Although my 4 is not hooked up yet, I have studied the manual in detail and see no mention of speaker delay settings. To Sony's credit, this receiver has more EQ options than any I have ever encountered.   BTW, except for 3 zone/ room capability and an extra 10 watts per channel, the 7 is identical to the 4, and costs about 1/2 as much.    HTH,   &quot;mrloudness&quot;</font>
<font color='#000000'>Oh well, that's too bad. &nbsp;I was hoping to stick with Sony when I upgrade to 7.1 (very happy with my TA-E9000ES), but I really would like to have the audio delay. &nbsp;Thanks for looking that up for me, mrloudness.

-James</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I just purchased the 5ES and have been spending alot of time with the manual (apologies to my wife but she's used to it). I don't know if this is the case with the 7ES, but by entering values, you can &quot;place&quot; the front speakers from 3 to 40 feet from the listening position and the rears from 5 to 15 feet. This adds &quot;a delay in the output of the sound&quot;. You might do some fancy math, or try to get Sony to give you times in milliseconds for this. I do know 33 milliseconds per frame of delay. It's a bit of a workaround, but there you have it.</font>

J

James Sponaugle

Audiophyte
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>I just purchased the 5ES and have been spending alot of time with the manual (apologies to my wife but she's used to it). I don't know if this is the case with the 7ES, but by entering values, you can &quot;place&quot; the front speakers from 3 to 40 feet from the listening position and the rears from 5 to 15 feet. This adds &quot;a delay in the output of the sound&quot;. You might do some fancy math, or try to get Sony to give you times in milliseconds for this. I do know 33 milliseconds per frame of delay. It's a bit of a workaround, but there you have it.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Yeah, pretty much all current A/V receivers have that capability. &nbsp;It's probably not going to be enough, though for my application. 40 ft works out to around 40 ms (sound travels at around 968 ft/sec at room temp). &nbsp; I'm looking at using an Immersive Holo3d card in my HTPC for video processing, and there are some issues with the video being delayed. &nbsp;This would be on the order of one or two video frames of delay, so I'd need between 30 and 60 ms of delay (or even more) to take care of that. &nbsp;It looks like I'm going to have to spring for an external delay box, or get a unit that does have delay built in (Yamaha Z1, Denon 5803 appear to at this point). &nbsp;Thanks, Steve for checking that out in the 5ES manual. &nbsp;

I sure wish Sony would just put this stuff online! &nbsp;What's up with them lately anyway? &nbsp;If you go to their web page, and dig down into the home electronics stuff, they make no mention that the ES line of products even exits!? &nbsp;It seems like they're trying to hide it or something. Very odd.

-James</font>

G

GermanMan

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Yeah, the Sony website is crap as of late - it was MUCH better several years ago. &nbsp;Whoever took over the managent of Sony in this area, and some other areas, should be sacked.

With your issue though - the real solution ot the problem needs to be addressed with the Holo3D card folks and thier system. &nbsp;Sure, you can 'bandaide' the thing with a delay in the audio outputs, but the is just like putting on hearing protection to not listen to the racket of your dying refrigerator rather than getting it fixed.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis