Audio connections advice needed

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Hi...I'm mainly a Home Theater enthusiast so just using the standard HDMI connections from player to receiver is the norm. But when it comes to 2 ch music listening I'm a newbie so I need some help. My gear is a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 as the music streamer paired with an Integrated McIntosh Amp MA8900. Questions are listed below...thanks.

1) What is the recommended mode of connection from the CXN V2 to the MA8900? Using balanced RCA cables or Coax or Optical?

2) Am I correct that if I use the Balanced RCA connection that I'm using the CXN V2's internal DACs? And if I connect using either the Coax or Optical cable then I'm using the McIntosh's' internal DACs?

3) If #2 is correct which has the better DAC/connection should I use?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't worry about balanced cables unless you need to connect the equipment in the way these were invented/intended- over long distance. There's no reason to use them unless the distance is great or if the equipment has no other type of connectors- the latter, BTW, doesn't guarantee that you can't have issues.

You shouldn't hear a difference between optical and digital coax unless McIntosh designed one to be better.

WRT the DACs- you'll have to be the judge of which is better. Don't sweat the cable quality if you try the digital coax output. Make sure it's decent, but don't fall into the trap of believing that cables need to be expensive.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Don't worry about balanced cables unless you need to connect the equipment in the way these were invented/intended- over long distance. There's no reason to use them unless the distance is great or if the equipment has no other type of connectors- the latter, BTW, doesn't guarantee that you can't have issues.

You shouldn't hear a difference between optical and digital coax unless McIntosh designed one to be better.

WRT the DACs- you'll have to be the judge of which is better. Don't sweat the cable quality if you try the digital coax output. Make sure it's decent, but don't fall into the trap of believing that cables need to be expensive.
Thanks...oh believe me I myself don't buy into that snake oil BS. So am I correct that if I use the Balanced RCA connection that I'm using the CXN V2's internal DACs? And if I connect using either the Coax or Optical cable then I'm using the McIntosh's' internal DACs?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks...oh believe me I myself don't buy into that snake oil BS. So am I correct that if I use the Balanced RCA connection that I'm using the CXN V2's internal DACs? And if I connect using either the Coax or Optical cable then I'm using the McIntosh's' internal DACs?
Using the RCA outputs OR the XLR on the Cambridge uses its DAC but yes, you're correct in your thinking.

As I wrote- try both and listen (without any extraneous noise) and decide if you hear a difference and at that point, which is better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
RCAs aren't balanced to begin with. Which dac you want to use, meh.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis