Attic find "Fane" 18" bass driver- would like to make hifi sub

T

tonymm

Enthusiast
Hi all

I was rooting around the attic and found a speaker my dad had left there many moons ago (30+) years.
No case, no crossover. I cautiously hooked it up to my amp and its giving out sound. No tears or rust.

I'd like to make a box for it (found plans on fanes website - https://www.fane-international.com/resources

But I've only recently learned about crossovers by replacing some caps in an old pair of AR92s.
I would ideally make this a passive sub, unless i can be convinced otherwise.

Can anyone advise on a driver?

I'm not a high end audiophile, i do have a keen ear and appreciate the feel of music as well as the sound, the room is a large to meduim room.
Its only going through a Marantz 5005 but i guess this is more about the project that'll sound cool rather than a perfect system.

Thanks in advance.

T
93618553_564226287542376_3168084692050116608_n.jpg

93358700_782843878911171_8246272977084088320_n.jpg
93158078_3134498589935168_5595104821926428672_n.jpg

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hi all

I was rooting around the attic and found a speaker my dad had left there many moons ago (30+) years.
No case, no crossover. I cautiously hooked it up to my amp and its giving out sound. No tears or rust.

I'd like to make a box for it (found plans on fanes website - https://www.fane-international.com/resources

But I've only recently learned about crossovers by replacing some caps in an old pair of AR92s.
I would ideally make this a passive sub, unless i can be convinced otherwise.

Can anyone advise on a driver?

I'm not a high end audiophile, i do have a keen ear and appreciate the feel of music as well as the sound, the room is a large to meduim room.
Its only going through a Marantz 5005 but i guess this is more about the project that'll sound cool rather than a perfect system.

Thanks in advance.

TView attachment 35434
View attachment 35435View attachment 35436
That looks like a pro audio driver, hinting that it's going to have a high resonant frequency and a sharp rolloff below 40 Hz. You wouldn't be able to design a proper box for it without knowing its Thiele-Small parameters, which you'd most likely only get by measuring with special equipment. I suspect this would make a horrible subwoofer, but may make a fair to decent speaker for live performance, maybe for a bass or keyboard amp? Then again, that surround could have some dry rot. Honestly, you're better off buying a new driver rather than trying to repurpose this one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is not a sub driver, it is a guitar speaker, in other words what is known as an instrument speaker. Fane have been around since the fifties, they specialize in commercial and especially instrument speakers. That speaker you will have will not play lower than about 70 Hz. You can NOT make a sub with it.

Fane's only foray into home audio was the ionofane tweeter.

1586957720855.jpeg

This was a tweeter with no moving parts, that was the reverse of a lightening conductor. So it used the principle of what is known as brush discharge to move the air. It probably was the best tweeter ever made, except for one problem. It was lethal to human health because of the massive amount of ozone it created. An interesting foot note to audio history.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! Pretty cool.
Unfortunately I agree with rojo. 30+ years ago nobody was designing drivers thinking about ultra low bass, so the frequency response is likely to start between 30 and 40hz. Pretty high. It does seem like a pro audio driver as said too. Also, does the cone even move? I see a lot of corrosion on the outside, and my hunch is that the inside is in just as rough condition. Might make some cool art!

T

tonymm

Enthusiast
Lots of great info there guys thanks a million for your input.
I am now strongly reconsidering, I do play bass but that's another can of worms- unless i can just buy an Orange head and fire away?
I'll try educate myself on subs and make a better choice. Advice welcome.
Thanks to you all again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis