Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Can someone please tell me how much I would need this or what it actually does? I sent an email to panasonic asking the difference of the PX20 and the PX 25 is and they said this

"The difference between the two is that the PX25 has a built-in ATSC tuner for
high definition reception while the PX20 has a regular analogue tuner."

If my DVD player, XBOX and TV reciever all say they can output a HD signal do I still need an ATSC tuner to truelly get it?

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Yes. Presumably, your HDTV is HD ready but does not have its own HD tuner. You still need a high-definition signal to feed in to your HDTV. I doubt that your DVD player says it can output and HD signal. It cannot.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
The ATCS tuner if for watching digital OTA signals, or HD although not all digital programming is true HD. If you want to watch OTA HD you will need one. DirecTV and Dish HD receivers have ATSC tuners built-in. The HD boxes from Comcast in my area do not have tuners built in. Check what's available in your area if you want to watch HD.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
This is BS!!! So I spend nearly $3,000 more then an EDTV to buy the HDTV and I can not get an had picture without buying somehting more? Below is a link to what my cable company offers. Can I buy a seperate tuner?

What is going on here?

http://www.shaw.ca/Tmplt.asp?pageID=651

Duffinator

Duffinator

The Denon 2910 is NOT an HD-DVD. It up converts the 480P DVD to 720P or 1080i. Regardless of any up conversion it's still a 480P source. The new HD or BD-DVD machines will not be available for another year.

The HD cable box does not state that it has an ATSC or OTA (over the air) tuner built in. I believe this is typical of most cable companies. If you do not buy the TV with the build in ATSC tuner AND you want to watch OTA HD, you will need a seperate tuner like this:

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_24820.htm

I'm not familiar with the state of OTA HD in Canada.

While this seems like an extra hassle and expense, I think for the most part it has been a good idea to keep the HD receivers seperate up to this point. While the HD broadcast standard has been around for many years, there was still some question as to how it would be broadcast. This has been resolved and the FCC mandate for all new HD TV's to include an ATSC tuner is now in place. At this point I think it makes sense to buy a TV with the tuner built in. But again I don't know the status of HD in Canada, although I believe it's the same as in the US.

Good luck.

Duffinator

Duffinator

The TH-42PA20 is and EDTV, meaning that it will display a 480P picture.

The TH-42PX20 is HDTV compatible tv and clearly states so on the second bullet point. You will need either a cable box that is HD capable or the OTA HD receiver in my earlier post. I don't think their site is misleading. :)

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
your right not misleading....but where is all the extra money going that I am paying? Just saying that if I want to watch HDTV I am able to due so by upgrading it with a tuner?

as technical requirement from my cable company to use the HD recieve it says I need an HDTV or HDTV ready tv...is that what I have? perhaps O dont need to buy a new tuner

Duffinator

Duffinator

Maybe I'm not getting your point. An HDTV costs a lot more than an EDTV in a plasma set. You're paying a lot of money for that extra half million pixels. :)

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
true...sorry I am just kinda of new at the whole HDTV thing. I guess I will havet to get a tuner.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Duffinator said:
Maybe I'm not getting your point. An HDTV costs a lot more than an EDTV in a plasma set. You're paying a lot of money for that extra half million pixels. :)
Good Point Duffinator, If your plasma is HDTV and not EDTV there is a good chance it is HD capable. (HD tuner Built in) In my opinion the extra $3000 was a good decision, I don't like the poor picture of the EDTVs. What model of TV do you have, a link would be nice. I know the Pioneer, Philips, and LG HD plasmas we sell have the ATSC tuner built in.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

"Integrated NTSC Tuner and Speakers."

It doesnt look like it has a HD tuner built in, which is fine. I use both the Cable HD box and a OTA tuner for the local channels the cable company doesn't offer yet. (mainly for NFL games)

I hope you enjoy your new TV it looks nice!

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
thanks..I can't wait and dont really know what to espect. What does your OTA tunner do that your HD Cable box doesn't? Where did you buy it?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Here in Wichita, the cable company has failed to make an agreement with NBC and CBS and until recently with FOX. An agreement that would allow them to add the Digital broadcast to their channel line-up. Which if you are a sports fan it sucks not to have FOX and CBS in HD. All the MLB postseason and most of the NFL season are broadcast in 720p on FOX. CBS has most of their NFL games in HD too. All last year I sat around waiting and hoping that they would add these channels. This year I decided to go ahead and buy the OTA tuner so I know I can watch all the HD sports I want.

I bought a LG OTA tuner where I work.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Vancouver:

In the old days (a few years ago) there was no such thing as high definition broadcasts over the air (or anywhere). What you picked up over the air by sticking rabbit ears on top of your TV was 480i television. What we now call standard definition televsion (SDTV). It was about a 640x480 interlaced display format that you could get for free with an antenna and the format it was delivered in fit the NTSC broadcast standard.

ATSC is a new set of standards that includes many formats. Any ATSC tuner has to receive all the new formats which include: 1080i (HDTV), 720p (HDTV), 480p (EDTV), and 480i (SDTV). An ATSC receiver is designed to pick up free broadcasts that come over the air... like a set of rabbit ears on your tv. You must put an antenna up to receive the stations with an ATSC receiver. The antenna really should be a roof mounted version as high as possible for good reception. Even then, it depends on how close you are to a broadcast station.

Do you need it?

Well, probably not.

But possibly! Where I live, Washington DC area, cable companies include NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN, SHOWTIME, HBO, and a couple of other channels in HDTV. An ATSC tuner MIGHT pick up the WB. But, that's about the only channel I would get from an ATSC tuner that isn't already included on my cable box.

If you are using DirecTV or Cable, then you must check with your provider to find out exactly what HD channels they broadcast to your home. Then you will know whether you need an ATSC tuner.

Note: If you didn't get a TV with built in tuner, they are sold separately as stand alone boxes like your cable box or like a VCR.

NOTE: A TV marked HDTV or EDTV has nothing to do with what it can display on the set. It strictly has to do with the resolution of that device. That is, a HDTV can only be called an HDTV if it has a resolution above 720 lines. It still must scale everything to fit into the actual resolution it uses. An EDTV gets its name becuase it uses 853x480 pixels. Or 480 lines of resolution (480p). This doesn't mean it can't display HDTV. It just means that it must convert 720p or 1080i to 480p to fit onto the screen.

It also doesn't mean that at 42" people spending thousands more for the extra pixels aren't simply being ripped off. It all depends on how far you will be from the display device and how well the display device actually deals with the scaling necessary to fit an image on the screen.

There are about twice as many pixels in a HD display as there are in a ED display. This means that if you think the HD display looks absolutely awesome from 5 feet away, then the ED display will look identical from 10 feet away (all other factors remaining the same). Or, about where you might place it in a bedroom. All other factors include the quality of color, scaling, image reproduction, brightness, contrast ratio. People often buy HDTV displays because of the marketing involved with pushing HD over ED. It is fantastic, yet sad, to see how many people have bought into the idea that an HDTV is actually what is required to get the most out of your viewing experience.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
So essentially an OTA tuner steals HD broadcasts? Basicaly gives you HD channels your cable company can't. How do you know if the channels are even in your area to be picked up? Who exactly is producing the signals...I mean who would I be stealing them from?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
When you put rabbit ears on your old TV are you stealing the broadcast? Of course not! NBC, CBS, ABC, etc have broadcast stations. It isn't stealing, it is FREE!

You would be getting a HD feed directly from your local stations tower directly. There is a LOT of information online about what stations are in different areas and what you are likely to receive. Also, a lot of A/V magazines include HD channel lineups and who broadcasts out of what city.

But it most definitely is not stealing! The networks are broadcasting their signal out to you for free so that you are not so dependant on cable companies or DirecTV. You just have to get the antenna up and pointed in the right direction and before you know it you will have full 20 megabit HDTV coming into your home with a total monthly cost to you of zero dollars. Of course that initial display and the ATSC OTA (off the air) receiver will cost a pretty penny.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis