Atmos speakers: 2 or 3 way?

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Hi all!

planning an atmos install for the new house with 4 overheads. I’m going to be going with Monitor Audio speakers since their controlled performance line comes with sealed back boxes already equipped. Planning on snagging them from eBay as they can be had new for a good discount.

The question is which ones to get? There are two ways and three ways. My initial inclination is to get the best speakers available which would mean the three ways. But I’m wondering, since these are going to be used as atmos speakers wouldn’t the two ways Be sufficient? Would there be any benefit at all in springing for the three way? The bass would reach down further but they’ll be crossed over at 80 anyway. I’m thinking if these would be used as a second zone for music in another room the three ways would make more sense but perhaps for atmos it would be a waste.

Thoughts?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For surround effect it does not matter, just get the best speaker for your situation. 3 way as a measure is not going to always give you the best speaker.

S

schick05

Audiophyte
Hi Mpsafranski and Jedi!

I have the same or similar issue. I have WT-280s as fronts, a WT-250 LCR, and CT280-IDCs for surround. Sub is a powered Yamaha, stand-alone. I was concerned about the enclosure, or lack thereof, because I used cheap in-wall/in-ceiling speakers in my previous home. But I am very pleased with these Monitor Audio speakers! They rock and sound amazing for movies, games and music, even without midranges in the front, which frankly shocked me. But yeah, if I had the dough for CPs I may have gone that route. Still there's nothing in my current setup that makes me regret leaving the backs open. Anyways. I have been wanting to put 4 up top for Atmos and have had the same question, 2 ways or 3 ways??. I can get 4 matching CT280s on eBay,(2-ways), but should I install four CT280-IDCs instead? And, just because I dont know what I'm missing...should I have gone with IDCs in the fronts?

Let me know how your setup turned out and what you used for Atmos.

Cheers

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all!

planning an atmos install for the new house with 4 overheads. I’m going to be going with Monitor Audio speakers since their controlled performance line comes with sealed back boxes already equipped. Planning on snagging them from eBay as they can be had new for a good discount.

The question is which ones to get? There are two ways and three ways. My initial inclination is to get the best speakers available which would mean the three ways. But I’m wondering, since these are going to be used as atmos speakers wouldn’t the two ways Be sufficient? Would there be any benefit at all in springing for the three way? The bass would reach down further but they’ll be crossed over at 80 anyway. I’m thinking if these would be used as a second zone for music in another room the three ways would make more sense but perhaps for atmos it would be a waste.

Thoughts?
I use one ways, for the Atmos speakers, and they are great. These designs with speakers in front of the bass cone, are just insane and plain idiocy. The ideal Amos speaker is a good full range driver and they are out there.

They are in a 0.25 cu.ft. back box.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis