Atmos home theatre setup help

J

Joe-fr

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I’m setting up new home theatre.

Room size 18X14(attaching pics of the room)

10 feet height ceiling

Please help me with how many channels can I setup. I will buy new gear based on your suggestions.

Gear I have:

Klipsch rp 280f
Klipsch rp 450c
Dual SVS pb 2000 pro
2 pairs Klipsch rp 600m
Denon 6700h

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Please let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

I’m setting up new home theatre.

Room size 18X14(attaching pics of the room)

10 feet height ceiling

Please help me with how many channels can I setup. I will buy new gear based on your suggestions.

Gear I have:

Klipsch rp 280f
Klipsch rp 450c
Dual SVS pb 2000 pro
2 pairs Klipsch rp 600m
Denon 6700h

View attachment 44204

View attachment 44205

Please let me know if I missed anything.
It has 11 amps, so you can set up 11 channels plus subs. It has 13 preamp channels, so with a two channel external power amp you could set up 13. However in that room, I would set up a maximum of 11 and may be just 9.

J

Joe-fr

Audiophyte
Hello @TLS Guy thank you for responding.
I thought of setting up dolby atmos 9.2.4, but if it doesn't fit this room, then I will return this receiver and get 4700 with external amp and setup 7.2.4.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hello @TLS Guy thank you for responding.
I thought of setting up dolby atmos 9.2.4, but if it doesn't fit this room, then I will return this receiver and get 4700 with external amp and setup 7.2.4.
Well, that receiver has 9 power amps. So that would let you do 7.2.2 or 5.2.4. In our room I would do 5.2.4 is you want Atmos. That would give you the front three, two surrounds and four ceiling speakers. If you are not using ceiling speakers I would just fo 5.2 or 7.2. I think if you really want to do Atmos, then ceiling speakers are mandatory. Anything less is a waste of time and money.

J

Joe-fr

Audiophyte
Hello @TLS Guy can I do 4 ceiling speakers four surrounds, three fronts that would be 7.2.4 atmos. Do you think will that be good with the room that I have? Sorry for too many questions. Your input will be really helpful to me.

I will keep denon 6700.
If you have any other suggestion on setup that you think really works, please let me know.

I really appreciate your help

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hello @TLS Guy can I do 4 ceiling speakers four surrounds, three fronts that would be 7.2.4 atmos. Do you think will that be good with the room that I have? Sorry for too many questions. Your input will be really helpful to me.

I will keep denon 6700.
If you have any other suggestion on setup that you think really works, please let me know.

I really appreciate your help.
I think the length of your room is marginal for 7.2.4. I think it depends somewhat on your seating plan. If the speakers are too close together it is not good. Sometimes less is more. I would tend to favor 5.2.4 in that room. However if you put in rear backs, you can always turn them off if you don't like it. I have another 11ft in length to work with in my room. I do see a problem with that ceiling for Atmos. The ceiling with the sloping sides in general should be very advantageous as far as irregular reflections are concerned. However it creates a dilemma as far as positioning the ceiling speakers. The ceiling speakers should be inline with the mains, So that would put them on the sloped sides. They are supposed to face downwards. So if it were me I would make some sealed enclosures with angled sides, so they can be placed in the correct position and still face down.

You will only get two rows of seats in that room. I have 9' ceilings. I use these Mark Audio drivers for my ceiling speakers.

The speakers are in 0.25 cu. ft. sealed enclosures which is optimal for them. They work extremely well and are as ideal for a ceiling Atmos speakers as you can get. I think speakers should always be enclosed, rather then let any speakers radiate into wall or ceiling spaces.

So this is the layout the 7.2.4 system which follows Dolby specs precisely.

So your room is in many ways similar to mine, a little narrower and not as long, but with a different ceiling profile. The latter is likely to be a benefit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis