Atmos, DTSX, Aura 3D, Music upgrade

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone, First ever post but I've been reading and watching videos here for a few months trying to figure out what I want. Now I need a little advice. Last week I attended DC Audiofest and was blown away by some of the systems I heard and am jonesing to upgrade ASAP.

What I have:
1. Large Room 25' by 23' with lots of soft sound absorbing furnishings
2. 9 Triad Silver speakers and 10" subwoofer. 3 LCRs 2 ceiling surrounds, 2 front ceiling effects, 2 rear ceiling effects and 2 subwoofers (1 Triad and 1 NHT). All speakers 15 years old in very good working condition.
3. Powered by a Yamaha RX-Z1 and Triad sub amp
4. Sony SXRD projector

What I want:
1. Upgrade the LCRs for better musicality and cinematic richness
2. Upgrade the AVR receiver for Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and Aura 3D with 2 channel bluetooth streaming audio (think Tidal)
3. Budget $4,000 to $7000

What I was thinking about:
Power: Audiocontrol XR-6 open to other ideas also
new LCRs: ? but something that will work with my Triad surrounds and ceiling speakers.

Any and all advice, much appreciated

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Hi everyone, First ever post but I've been reading and watching videos here for a few months trying to figure out what I want. Now I need a little advice. Last week I attended DC Audiofest and was blown away by some of the systems I heard and am jonesing to upgrade ASAP.

What I have:
2. 9 Triad Silver speakers and 10" subwoofer. 3 LCRs 2 ceiling surrounds, 2 front ceiling effects, 2 rear ceiling effects and 2 subwoofers (1 Triad and 1 NHT). All speakers 15 years old in very good working condition.
4. Sony SXRD projector

What I want:
2. Upgrade the AVR receiver for Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and Aura 3D with 2 channel bluetooth streaming audio (think Tidal)

new LCRs: ? but something that will work with my Triad surrounds and ceiling speakers.

I would upgrade the LCR. Can you fit 3 towers up front. Using a tower for a center will perform better than any horizontal center. 3000 - 7000 really opens up your choices.

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
I definitely want to upgrade the LCR and leaning towards Monitor Silver 500s. Unfortunately I don't have room for a center tower.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha RX-Z1: 153W x 2 Ch 8 ohms, 258W x 2Ch 4 ohms.
Yamaha RX-A3060: 186W x 2Ch 8 ohms, 294W x 2Ch 4 ohms.

If you're using the Z1 now in your room, then the A3080 would be a good replacement for 4K/Atmos/DTSX. However, if you want Auro3D, then you would have to look at Marantz, Denon, or AudioControl.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Have you considered allocating some money to subwoofers? I think some new monitor silvers and updated subs from the usual suspects and you’d be set.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I definitely want to upgrade the LCR and leaning towards Monitor Silver 500s. Unfortunately I don't have room for a center tower.
I am a MA fan too I have the Bronze 6. The silver C350 has a good 3 way design especially for a larger room like yours. As William said upgrading your subs (SVS Hsu Rythmik Monoprice JTR) and in addition LCR will bring much more SQ. Finally the avr Yamaha Denon Marantz are at the top of most people’s lists.

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
Right, so if I budget $3K for the AVR receiver and consider the Denon or Marantz I'll have about $3k for the best LCRs I can find for the money. Any other thoughts on speakers? How about the SVS Ultra or Prime? Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated and valued.

And sub

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Most people would drop the Auro3d requirement (no Auro3d content anyhow) and get a less expensive AVR for just Atmos and DTSX. There are big sales on last years models this time of year.

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
Most people would drop the Auro3d requirement (no Auro3d content anyhow) and get a less expensive AVR for just Atmos and DTSX. There are big sales on last years models this time of year.
I've been considering that! Furthermore, the speaker layout seems the most demanding of the three. If it develops momentum in the future I could always upgrade my AVR receiver.

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
A friend is recommending I go with the MA Gold 100s. Any thoughts how they might perform compared to the Silver 500s? Thanks

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Floorstander or higher range bookshelf. What are your room dimensions listening distance and amplifier or AVR choice?

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
Floorstander or higher range bookshelf. What are your room dimensions listening distance and amplifier or AVR choice?

What I have:
4. Sony SXRD projector

What I want:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Bookshelves probably will not be enough SPL in a room that size. In a smaller room it’s a great approach though. YMMV

Last edited:
M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
For the last 24 hours or so I've been listening to a pair of Monitor Gold 50s, small bookshelf speakers (discontinued) and am incredibly impressed, and I agree bookshelf speakers are too small for the volume of the room. Nevertheless, these little Golds with my Triad sub make for some beautiful sound. So I ordered the MA Gold 300s and Gold C250 in Piano Ebony for my LCR set up. Still looking amps. Given these monsters what do you think might drive them beautifully? Should have them in a week. Now this old dog feels like a kid x-mas eve.

p.s. also will need a good music streaming device

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
I’ve been breaking in these MA Gold 300s for a week now. They’re wonderfully musical, easy to listen to and just beautiful. . What an amazing upgrade. Still waiting for the right AVR.

Attachments

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
I settled on the Audiocontrol XR 8 for my AVR upgrade. It's on it's way and I'm psyched. If any of you have this unit, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

What I have:
4. Sony SXRD projector

What I want:

You don’t need to upgrade your Triad Silvers. Upgrade the AVR and subwoofers.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I did actually upgrade the speakers with MA Gold 300s and that upgrade has been spectacular.
Haha oh wow, I didn’t even check the date on the previous messages. My bad. Good to hear the updates are working out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis