krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hey I need a little help, I have athena surround speakers(2 asb1 for surround, 2 asb2 for l/r channels, 1 asr1 rear surround, and 1 asc1 center) and a klipsch synergy ksw-12 sub. The athena speakers sound great and the sub rocks the house, but I am moving into a nice big house where I will have room for upgrades. :) I am considering buying tower speakers, possibly the athena asf2 or switching to an all klipsch surround setup with tower speakers. Will towers make a dramatic difference? And what do you think I should go with athena or klipsch?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I'm assuming your new room is a lot bigger?
The most effective upgrade would be the following IMO

- get the F2's for the front. If you have a PLIIx receiver, maybe move the B2's as presence channels for a 7.1 setup.
- get a new sub, the KSW-12 only goes down to 26Hz, you could probably find something that goes down to clean 20Hz. This is especially important if your room is a lot bigger than what you have now, you just might find that the current sub may not provide the same kick in a bigger room

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The Athena F2's have virtually no competition at the price they're generally selling at now. I've heard from people who've bought them for $300/pair or less. :eek: I can't think of another even decent tower for that money. Since you already have Athena's, you couldn't go wrong stepping up to the larger ones.

That said, there's a better speakers out there, if you're willing to spend the money. How much are you budgeting for the upgrades? I'm not a big fan of Klipsches personally, but some of their newer ones aren't bad at all. But there's a lot of great speakers on the market right now, and it's never been easier to get good sound on a budget than it is today.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I kinda go along with all the others.

The F2's are hard to beat. Great front mains.

Promote the B2's to rear surround duty.

Keep the C1. It's a durn nice center speaker.

You may find that the F2's go so low so well, your sub may be lessened in importance. You will probably want to seriously upgrade it soon.

What to do with the poor old B1's? Several choices spring to mind.

If you want to maintain a 5.1 system (and many do), then they make great remote speakers in another room.

If you want to go 6.1 or 7.1, you've already got matched speakers.

(If you had the said the F1's, you would now have my 5.1 system with a Velodyne woofer.)

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Rob Babcock said:
The Athena F2's have virtually no competition at the price they're generally selling at now. I've heard from people who've bought them for $300/pair or less. :eek: I can't think of another even decent tower for that money. Since you already have Athena's, you couldn't go wrong stepping up to the larger ones.

That said, there's a better speakers out there, if you're willing to spend the money. How much are you budgeting for the upgrades? I'm not a big fan of Klipsches personally, but some of their newer ones aren't bad at all. But there's a lot of great speakers on the market right now, and it's never been easier to get good sound on a budget than it is today.
I agree 100% :D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'm running a yamaha htr 5740 which seems to be adequite and the dsp sounds great. Thanks for the help guys I think I am gonna go with the f2's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis