Asymetric Cathedral Ceilings

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>My home-theater room has a &quot;shed&quot; style high ceiling that slopes from about 15' high on the right side on the room to 8' high on the left, so the ceiling is not symetrical when viewed from the screen looking towards the audience.

Will this cause any special problems and will the auto set-up on my Yamaha RX-V2400 correct for this?</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>SELL YOUR HOUSE!! OR TEAR OUT THE ROOF AND CEILING!!

Just kidding!

Going out on a limb here but based on my limited research I'd say don't worry about it. Sure, theoretically a symmetrical room is &quot;ideal&quot; (or at least more predictable) but unless we're talking about a recording studio or speaker testing lab, you're fine. Use the setup program and futz with speaker placement a little and enjoy. If you're feeling techy and/or obsessive-compulsive you can get a spectrum analyzer and parametric EQ unit to make further adjustments!

From what I've read, room effects are most important in the bass, and the assymetry of your room might even help there in breaking up some of the &quot;nodes&quot; that cause boomy bass. Carpeting, drapery and cushy furniture will take care of the treble ricocheting around and smearing the sound.

See the room acoustics page on Siegfried Linkwitz's site, and some of the white papers written by Floyd Toole, available for download at the Infinity Speakers site, for authoritative, yet accessable and common-sense info on room/speaker interactions. Linkwitz room acoustics page</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I think an assymetiral room eliminates any standing waves which is good for audio reproduction.</font>

<font color='#000080'>Cathedral/vaulted ceilings wreaks havok in some areas and help others. We all live in an imperfect world... even reviewers. All I can say is take it as a challenge. Gene did (same problem in his home), and he got some excellent results, though he IS dealing with a $10k pair of speakers... &nbsp; :)</font>

G

<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
RX-V2400 : My home-theater room has a &quot;shed&quot; style high ceiling that slopes from about 15' high on the right side on the room to 8' high on the left, so the ceiling is not symetrical when viewed from the screen looking towards the audience.

Will this cause any special problems and will the auto set-up on my Yamaha RX-V2400 correct for this?
My HT(16'x20') has a symetrical cathedral ceiling(15' high) that slopes from 11' on both sides. I liked this high ceiling, so I moved in here. All walls and ceiling are dry-walls. This is a nightmare for any sound. (HT and music) Constant echo hurts my ears. Especially, 2 side sloped ceiling collect the sound and shooting at listening chairs. Rasing the volume kills me with haedache. I fought echoes with Sonex(sound absorber) for 5 years now, and nothing really worked. Finally, I find a products to solve the problem.

Anyway, I don't recommend a cathedral ceiling for anyone whether it's symetric or not. I wish Yamaha 2400 may compensate reverbration. Good luck.

Alex</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Sorry, misunderstood the thread!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis