yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
The Arx A3rx-c are wonderful speakers. If you read nothing more, know that. They have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall I think they are worth the asking price and deserve to be more well-known than they are. I won’t claim to have a golden ear, but I like to think I can hear subtle nuances in sound and will do my best to convey my observations as concisely as possible.

Let me preface this by outlining my audio preferences, use case, and equipment:

• Lots of electronic music, but a wide variety of music of all kinds
  • Appreciation for textured, deep, tight bass
  • Appreciation for smooth but sparkly treble (hard to find)
  • Appreciation for quick, not muddy sound
  • Appreciation for an open, airy sound (without sibilance)
  • Appreciation for rich vocals
  • 90% music, 10% movies
  • ~7 feet away, ~10% toe-in
  • Macbook Pro via Toslink > Emotiva UMC-200 > Emotiva UPA-500 (2ch)
  • SVS PB-1000 used in conjunction when running speakers as Smalls

Appearance

Tall, nondescript towers. Jon at The Audio Insider (now Chane) told me that they don’t go out of their way to pretty these up. I happen to like their industrial look. I run them with the grilles off, because I feel they look cooler and sound better that way. The appearances aren’t what matter, though. Let me say that their sound easily defies their appearance.

Sound Signature

Initially, the Arx struck me as fairly warm and even slightly congested. I’m used to a more open sound, so I was slightly worried that this is how they would sound forever. However, I hoped they would open with more play time. Short answer: they did. Long answer: they opened up to the point that they certainly don't sound congested anymore, and the sound is definitely airier than it was before. I’m sure I have adjusted to their sound signature, but they’ve definitely opened up over the ~70 hours I’ve put on them so far. At first I was disappointed because I thought they wouldn’t have the desired signature for electronic music, but as they’ve opened up, I’ve become more and more satisfied with their performance.

The level of detail with the Arx has also impressed me. People sometimes associate forward treble with detail, but that isn’t the case here. There is significantly more noticeable detail than my Polk Monitor70 II despite the treble being more relaxed. I can easily pick out parts of songs I’ve never heard before, but part of that is due to the excellent instrument separation, which I’ll get to later.

I would almost go so far as to call the Arx very close to neutral. The timbre is very natural-sounding, with instruments like pianos, trumpets and saxophones sounding very true to life. It can’t match speakers in higher price brackets, but you knew that already.

I am used an energetic sound, and the Arx are laid-back in contrast to my Polks or Audioengine A2. They’re not slow though – they are actually surprisingly quick given their laid-back and neutral sound. The space between notes is very discernable with a completely black noise floor. When a song stops, even just for a moment, there is no discernable lag in the decay of the note. It just stops. The PRaT is impressive for something that almost sounds warm. I’m just not used to it.

Lows, Mids, Highs

The bass on the Arx is better than I expected. Their advertised frequency response goes down to 55Hz +/- 3dB (with a cutoff at 45Hz -6dB) which is significantly less (advertised) bass extension than my Polks, which are advertised as 30Hz +/- 6dB. I can comfortably say I think the Arx are very close to matching them on extension, and only a little less on output due to the Polks having 4 larger woofers. They go low enough to be satisfying for electronic music (though lacking for some genres like deep house or true dubstep) and are more than adequate for everything else, including rap and hip-hop. The bass is very tight and textured, never boomy. They also come with foam inserts for the ports in the back.

The mids are quite breathtaking. They could be a tad smoother and there’s the slightest hint of dryness to them, but it’s only there if you really listen for it. Artists like Lana del Rey, Zoë Johnston, and Richard Bedford sound better on the Arx than I’ve ever heard them before. When running the speakers as Small, the mids open up more as the woofers are freed of their low-frequency shackles. Vocals are effortless in this configuration – pure audio bliss. The midrange really is where the Arx excel, due to their natural timbre. They sound real, not artificial. I won’t go so far as to say it sounds like you’re at a concert hearing them live, but it’s pretty close.

Treble is something that can really make or break a speaker. If it’s too relaxed, music sounds flat and lifeless. If it’s too pronounced, it can more easily induce hearing loss, and your ears can quickly become fatigued. Electronic music really sounds best with sparkly treble, which is tough to get without a little sibilance here and there. The Arx strike a careful balance between flat and sparkly. Cymbals have just the right crash to them without being startling, and snare drums have a satisfying snap to them that sounds pretty accurate to my ears. Airy synths and the endless plethora of electronic samples sound like I imagine they were meant to be heard – without fatigue, but with authority. The Polks were more lively in the treble without being fatiguing (or so I recall) but the Arx manage to balance all frequencies in a way that is accurate but very musical and entertaining.

Soundstage, Imaging, and Separation

I read a few reviews for the Arx A1b and A5 saying their soundstage was huge. I can mostly echo this sentiment for the A3rx-c. It may be the way my room is designed (large rectangle, ~2500 cubic ft) with wood floors, but I didn’t feel that the soundstage was so massive that I felt like I was at a live show. However, it’s much wider than the Polks were, and is more than adequate for something at their pricepoint.

Imaging on the A3rx-c is easily one of its strongest points – no pun intended. There is a very defined center image with sound traveling left to right, while giving the slight impression of sound moving horizontally in a circle around your head for some songs. I didn’t get too much vertical imaging, but it showed itself from time to time on great recordings, like Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours. Running the speakers as Smalls really improves the imaging as well.

The instrument separation on the Arx was another thing that caught me by surprise, again due to their more laid-back sound. I can hear every single track in a song, even the ones with anywhere from 6-10 tracks playing at the same time. Some music like that of Infected Mushroom (one of my FAVES) almost always has more than 5 tracks playing at once in the heavier portions of the song. Some parts are extremely faint while others are extremely present, and if I listen closely enough, I can hear the faintest whispers or claps. I can track them through the entire portion of the song once I’ve “locked on” to them. Every track has its place, and they’re overlayed in a way that almost lets me expand them out as layers and pay attention to any one that I choose. It’s a wonderful effect.

Summary

To be quite honest, I was a little disappointed with the Arx at first. They were too warm for my taste, and definitely not tailored for my audio preferences. But I didn’t give up on them! When I spoke with Jon from The Audio Insider (now Chane), he told me that their goal was to give everyone the opportunity to hear music as it was intended to be heard. By this, I assume he meant neutral. I didn’t take him for a swindler, so I kept listening. Slowly but surely, I began to realize what he was talking about. The effortless midrange, smooth, unfatiguing treble, and tight bass really encapsulated the notion of a “balanced” loudspeaker that I had imagined in my mind for so long. I’ve heard great sound on my Sennheiser HD650s and Beyerdynamic DT880s, but they can’t match the feeling of hearing a great loudspeaker.

I really enjoyed the Arx A3rx-c running full-range, but combining them with a good subwoofer and running them as Small has considerably improved almost every single aspect of them. I highly recommend this configuration, though I would still easily recommend them without a subwoofer.

The Arx may not be for everyone. I’ve had to become accustomed to their more balanced, natural sound over something that accents treble and bass with a slight “V” shaped sound signature. I’ve started to prefer this unfatiguing sound, especially when paired with a beautiful acoustic or vocal-centric track. I’ll definitely be keeping them for a long time. I can only imagine they will sound better with more time and a properly treated room.

Jon and company have done a fantastic job with the Arx A3rx-c, and this guerrilla brand is worth more than a look – it’s worth a listen. A thousand listens, to be specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Song Impressions

Here are my impressions from specific songs!

------------------------------------------------------------

UMC-200: 40.0-45.0
PB-1000: ~40%
A3rx-c: Small
Crossover: 100Hz
MBP/Audirvana > BJC Toslink > UMC-200 > UPA-500 > A3rx-c

Daft Punk – Random Access Memories (24/96 vinyl FLAC)

Give Life Back To Music

• Great instrument separation
  • * Crowd in the background easy to hear
  • Drums sound very real
  • * Pretty accurate timbre overall
  • Easy to hear the claps getting louder

Touch

• Easy to hear fluctuations in voice in beginning
  • Can hear space between quick xylophone sweep
  • In quick high synth, no problem keeping up with the quick changes
  • After breakdown, wonderful separation of all instruments
  • Womens choir is smooth, can hear separation of alto/soprano
  • Black noise floor – SILENT.
  • Piano sounds very good

Fragments of Time

• Guitar just makes me want to get up and dance
  • * Whammy bar sound is spot-on
  • Rhythm is just perfect
  • Vocals not as lush as some other songs, but could be singer’s voice
  • Can hear all instruments but some are a little more faint than I’d like
  • Song is a good test for separation because there are so many instruments

Doin’ It Right

• Bass from PB-1000 is awesome for the low notes
  • Clap is authoritative
  • Can hear hi hat echoes easily
  • Wood block sound when Panda Bear sings “if you lose your way tonight” is present and clear
  • Just heard a back-track I had never noticed was near the end of the song

---

Above & Beyond – Acoustic (16/44.1 CD FLAC)

Miracle

• Song is a little bright overall
  • Vocals are a little too bright but still good
  • Great separation, could be a little better
  • Hearing a tiny bit of silibance from the part where the low bass kicks in – possibly room config/treatment, but also probably a part of the recording
  • * Definitely in the recording, hearing it again
  • Violins are wonderful
  • Sounds very whole and room-filling, mastering is great other than being on the bright side

Satellite / Stealing Time

• Vibrato in her voice is beautiful and apparent
  • * A little bright
  • Harp picking is present
  • Can hear the muted guitar strums easily
  • Strings sound spot-on, maybe slightly on the bright side?
  • Vibrato in guy’s voice is easy
  • * A little on the bright side, could be his voice
  • Song is a little bright overall but very enjoyable

---

Pink Floyd – Money (V0 MP3)

• Groovy from the get-go
  • Instrument separation is great
  • Can finally understand the lyrics that I never fully heard before
  • Squelching sax is accurate
  • * High notes clean, not piercing
  • Guitar solo!!!!!!
  • * Authoritative
  • * Feel like I could see the guitarist rocking out and muting strings
  • * Not piercing

Lana del Rey – Summertime Sadness (320 MP3)

• Great separation of vocal tracks
  • Good demonstration of the dynamics of her voice
  • * Low, medium, and high pitch all very accurate
  • * Vibrato is spot on
  • Instruments take a back seat, but I think that’s what they were going for.
  • * Brings her vocals forward

Lana del Rey – Ride (V0 MP3)

• Luscious vocals, could be a little smoother, but I think they added grittiness to it intentionally
  • Drums in beginning travel easily between speakers with good imaging
  • Violins sound smooth and natural
  • Her whispering is clear and present, not recessed
  • Feel like I heard some crackling during louder portions – possibly from the lower bitrate? Maybe clipping..?

Coldplay – Don’t Panic (V0 MP3)

• Great instrument separation
  • Vocals are great
  • * A tiny bit of bite on the upper end of his voice when he says “we live in a beautiful world”
  • ** Possibly due to recording, some of the higher volume guitar notes have a bit of the same bite
  • Guitars sound natural, can easily hear strumming

Benny Benassi - Cinema (Skrillex Remix) (320 MP3)

• Definitely loud
  • * On the bright side, but that’s to be expected
  • Vocals decent, not lush, not sharp
  • High notes are just the slightest bit sharp, but could be much worse for this kind of genre
  • Airy pads/synth are sparkly without being fatiguing

Passion Pit – Sleepyhead (V0 MP3)

• Great rhythm
  • His high tenor vocals are on the border of being fatiguing, but tolerable
  • * Possibly due to the “echo” effect put on them
  • Good separation of all the background instruments

Deadmau5 – I Remember (V0 MP3)

• Definitely on the loud side
  • Pads/synths are nice and smooth
  • Vocals are excellent, airy and smooth

Rusko – Jahova (V0 MP3)

• Good texture to the main “wubwubwubwub” track
  • Airy overall, not bloated but not thin
  • Percussion has a nice snap to it

Bon Iver – Towers (24/96 vinyl rip FLAC)

• Natural, slightly soft electric guitar
  • Separated and natural sounding vocals
  • Horns come in softly but perfect
  • Saxophone quiet but easily there
  • Percussion sounds soft but that’s the sound of the whole album – accurate otherwise
  • Everything just sound natural

Billy Joel – And So It Goes (V0 MP3)

• Piano is just right
  • Can feel the emotion in his voice, with every breath
  • Vocals are just right, not too warm/muffled, and not sharp/grating

Katy Perry – Teenage Dream (V0 MP3)

• Can clearly hear two separate guitars playing at the same time
  • Airy vocals, nice and smooth
  • Can still hear guitars in the background once she goes into the chorus!
  • Great separation, hearing faint synth tracks I never heard before

Kanye West - Coldest Winter (V0 MP3)

• Fantastic bass with sub
  • Very open and present vocals
  • Running speakers in large: sounds a little more closed/congested
  • * Bass is still satisfactory but can’t compare to the sub
  • Great percussion

Miles Fisher – This Must Be The Place (320 MP3)

• Awesome imaging
  • Snappy claps
  • Vocals could be a tad warmer, they’re slightly on the bright side
  • Wonderful harmony in vocals
  • Great separation, can hear guitar in the background

Infected Mushroom – Poquito Mas (320 MP3)

• Excellent guitar in the beginning, can hear the twang perfectly
  • Vocals are upfront and neutral
  • Song has some very quick parts and the Arx keep up with almost no problems
  • * Some parts could been just a TINY bit more staccato (more defined with the 1/32nd notes)
  • Guitar is mean and raw, just as it should be
  • Imaging is great as well

Infected Mushroom – Project 100 (320 MP3)

• Great separation between guitar, drums, and synth
  • Crisp synth snare without being harsh
  • Bass guitar just flows, which transitions into the gritty electric. So good.
  • Crazy imaging back and forth between speakers. Just phenomenal.
  • Authoritative punch
  • Can follow a faint track through all of the louder ones – heard one I’ve never heard before!
  • Big violin/cello sound – gives an impending feeling. Combined with the chanting vocals, there’s definitely emotion to this song
  • Some of the quicker parts where it has the high wavering notes (around the 5min mark) don’t have as much definition and are slightly more blurred together than I’ve heard on different setups
  • The guitar twang near the end quiet part with the back-and-forth has the perfect bite
  • Silent noise floor!
  • The song just KEEPS GOING!!! It really is an epic journey and these speakers take you along for the ride. When you think it’s almost over, it picks right back up.
  • Definitely one of the more laid-back presentations I’ve heard of the song, but didn’t kill my enjoyment of it. There were a tiny few aspects missing, notably the very quick parts that the Arx blurred together just slightly
  • * Overall not a bad tradeoff considering other speakers could make the music too bright

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Please show some images of the speakers and your room. Thanks.

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Looks like I can't edit the OP anymore, so here is an album of photos I took with my HTC One (and one from my Nexus 4):

arx a3rx-c / svs pb-1000 - Imgur

Excuse the purple/red tint in some of them, it seems the camera firmware has actually gotten worse over time... never used to have that problem. If I had a proper camera these shots would be amazing!

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the review.
Just wondering.... Why the A3s and not the A5s?

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the review.
Just wondering.... Why the A3s and not the A5s?
I was really close to pulling the trigger on the A5s, but I spoke with Jon on the phone for a half hour and he convinced me that to him, the A3rx-c's sound more musical. Plus they're cheaper, and I don't need LOUD speakers in my apartment. I'd love to have a dedicated midrange driver, but I do get the 3rd gen ribbon tweeter, so I'm content. I could've afforded the A5s, but if the designer tells you a different (and less expensive) pair are better for your needs, you'd think he might have just a little bit of an idea what he's talking about. I don't regret my decision at all.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Excellent work yokken. You obviously have spent a lot of time and energy not only listening to the speakers, but on your write-up as well. I'm very familiar with the Arx speakers, having also reviewed them, so I have a very good understanding of what you're referring to.

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Jman. I just sat in front of the speakers for hours listening... just pure bliss. And the PB-1000 never fails to make me grin... some songs have almost made me soil myself when the bass hits. I just got a new single of some true dubstep, the old school style... it's gotta have some 20Hz in it for sure. This setup overall just makes me smile time and time again.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it looks like you have graduated.

You would be surprised how better it may sound, if there was
no coffee table in the middle. However, that is part of life.

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Well, it looks like you have graduated.

You would be surprised how better it may sound, if there was
no coffee table in the middle. However, that is part of life.
You just had to go and say that didn't cha... now I'm gonna have to move it and see how they sound. :mad:

:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis