Article: Discovering How Amplifiers Dramatically Affect Loudspeaker Output

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Hmmmmm

The article title is misleading considering the speaker choice is the infamously difficult 801 D4 and has a known low impedance drop that makes it a difficult speaker, but still.

Also, it is also said that there were measured differences, but not a lot in the way of how they were conducted.

I dunno, maybe my article standards are too high.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Absolute Sound is an audiophoolry magazine and there's always some bias in reviews which is in line with the source of the incoming monies.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Hmmmmm

The article title is misleading considering the speaker choice is the infamously difficult 801 D4 and has a known low impedance drop that makes it a difficult speaker, but still.

Also, it is also said that there were measured differences, but not a lot in the way of how they were conducted.

I dunno, maybe my article standards are too high.
That was a subjective review. There is a review in the UK Hi-Fi News with some measurements.

They drove them with a Classe amp.

This is the FR they show.

This is the Waterfall plot.

They recorded impedances as low as 3.4 ohms and phase angles negative to -71 degrees.

Those measurements are far worse than the ones I obtained from my late friend Phil's pair of 800 D3, which those speakers replace. The 800 D3s actually measured well, and were far from the most difficult drive.

The 801 D4s, if those Hi-Fi News measurements are reliable, are a disgrace at $34,000 per pair. I would certainly not be pleased with those measurements from a set of my speakers for sure.

To be honest though, if you are going to design a state of the art high output speaker in this day and age, the days of having it passive are OVER, period. They absolutely have to be active. I know I could not get the results I get in my theater, without having active elements. My former studio speakers designed in 1984, and now my rear backs were, and still are, a hybrid active/passive design. High powered low frequency low and high pass passive crossovers just do not, and can not cut it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
TAS is good for amusement now and then I suppose...
It was a recommendation for me to read. I removed the site after looking at the article.

How are you going to say you measured the difference then not show the graphs?

I'm getting tired of articles that are just about feelings.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It was a recommendation for me to read. I removed the site after looking at the article.

How are you going to say you measured the difference then not show the graphs?

I'm getting tired of articles that are just about feelings.
The guy was stating the obvious about the need to drive those B&M speakers with suitable power amps. Not only he failed to show his graphs and measuring conditions, he also cited his session in an Audio Fest.

I heard the new 801s at Capital Audio Fest played with a pair of McIntosh MC901s, the solid-state section driving the woofers and the tube section handling the upper drivers. The results were stunning.
There would be nothing wrong for that, except he put it in such context that again, mislead the readers, as though he was trying to compare the MC901s to the other amps he mentioned.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
If an amplifier clips as a result of driving a low impedance load, you will likely hear the clipping. On the other hand you will have a hard time finding a modern amplifier that will clip under normal domestic listening with normal speakers. Absolute Sound deals in possibilities and biased listening reports rather than reality. It isn't a good place to get audio advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis