Arendal 1723 2V sub owners help needed

Newhouse

Newhouse

Audiophyte
I have now owned this sub for year and half. Really awesome subwoofer! But one thing has been bugging from day one, and that why I need help from other owners.

I have placed subwoofer behind my couch, port facing towards to forward of the room, (cable was too short to place it otherway :D) I like low frequencies what the sub produces when in vented mode, but I have experienced alot of port noise coming from the sub. Does anyone else have experienced this issue? Noise is coming when frequencies are lower than 25hz. 10 to 16hz is probably the loudest.

In sealed mode with the foam inserted to port, no problems. Bass is really tight, but it doesn't extend that low as in vented mode. I'd like to use vented mode in movies and sealed while listening music, but at the moment I have used only sealed mode, because the port noise.

Thanks in advance!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With that sort of placement, any sort of port noise at all will be heard. I recommend simply turning the sub around so the port faces the other way. Get an extension cable if you need to. That should solve your problem.

Newhouse

Newhouse

Audiophyte
With that sort of placement, any sort of port noise at all will be heard. I recommend simply turning the sub around so the port faces the other way. Get an extension cable if you need to. That should solve your problem.
I could test this, but I don’t think it is a solution. Chuffing is so heavy, so I believe it will be audible anyways. Svs for example has ports facing forward and haven’t heard this loud chuffing. But I will test this. Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sounds like that sub should have had a slot vent.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I could test this, but I don’t think it is a solution. Chuffing is so heavy, so I believe it will be audible anyways. Svs for example has ports facing forward and haven’t heard this loud chuffing. But I will test this. Thanks
How do you have the lower end setup eq-wise, and what material are you playing and at what volume for this constant chuffing? My first thought was like Shady, to simply orient the port away from you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Are you using bass Eq? If you are, you can not, and should not, use it on a ported sub.

Newhouse

Newhouse

Audiophyte
Are you using bass Eq? If you are, you can not, and should not, use it on a ported sub.
it is not constant. Only in heavy low bass scenes. Explosions for example.
I have used eq to lower few spikes according to rew measurements. I used minidsp umik calibrated mic for measurements. After that I made audussey xt32 measurements with 8 measurement points which also reduced some frequencies. Then I used +1,5sub boost from audio settings to boost little bit sub frequencies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You just may be boosting eq a bit much for that much farting port stuff.

Newhouse

Newhouse

Audiophyte
You just may be boosting eq a bit much for that much farting port stuff.
But I’m not boosting with eq. If I remember correctly there was 3 frequencies which are lowered with-5db to -9db. Without eq sub is way too loud on some freqs. Room modes cause this probably. I only boosted volume 1,5 db after eq.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

But I’m not boosting with eq. If I remember correctly there was 3 frequencies which are lowered with-5db to -9db. Without eq sub is way too loud on some freqs. Room modes cause this probably. I only boosted volume 1,5 db after eq.
Chuffing occurs when the port air velocity exceeds 20 meters/sec. In a correct design you always keep the port air velocity below that to the maximum excursion of the driver.

The problem becomes that commercial sub designers want to use the cheaper air vents, and if they used enough then the ports would be too long to fit in the cabinet. The correct solution is to construct a slot vent that can turn a corner.

So if you can hear chuffing and the driver does not seem in distress, then the port area is too small, for the design.

This illustrates the point. Attached is a design I did for a member, and I don't think he would have been happy if his sub chuffed, after going to the trouble of building it.

The vent air velocity is shown in the sixth graph, in the attached pdf.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are you using for eq particularly? What sort of volume levels generally? What does Arendell say?

Newhouse

Newhouse

Audiophyte
I tried to rotate sub 180 degrees, so the port is now facing to wall. Didn't help. I try to continue discussion with Arendal support. Thanks for help.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I thought I had heard somewhere that you cannot both use Audyssey to EQ and then turn the Sub Trims up... IIRC, adjusting the Trim defeats the Audyssey correction.
If correct and you want a House Curve, you would have to use the App and build that in your curve editor.

I know in my Marantz, if I go to Sub Trims and boost just a little, they get significantly louder. While I can't definitively say, it is more than just a bump. ;) So anecdotally I tend to believe the above statement is more likely true than not.
*shrugs

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis