Are these worth repairing?

S

son of sam

Audiophyte
hi. this is my first post so if it sounds like i dotn know what im talking about, thats why. i know nothing about speaker repair.

i got:
2-Zenith Allegro 4000's and 2-CS-V9920's

i was told that they're pretty bad *** and were pretty expensive at the time.

Heres the problem:
The Pioneers have no foam around the cones. just crumpled off. how easy would it be to re-foam it or whatever with rubberized foam so it doesnt happen again. The Allegros, im not too sure about, but i think the tweeter and/or the midrange is gone or something. ill have to ask the dude i bought it from because i dotn have a reciver amp thing to use them with.

im really short on cash cause im 16 and im too lazy to get a job, so any DIY would be appericated.

i was also told by a friend that i can just use duct tape because the cone just needs to be held to the speaker frame. TRUE OR FALSE!!!

Dumar

Audioholic
son of sam said:
im really short on cash cause im 16 and im too lazy to get a job
At least you're honest, sos.

The good news is you can repair the foam, the bad news is you're going to have to get a job. :eek:

Check out this site: http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speakerrepairinstructions.htm
There are probably others, I just did a quick search under speaker repair and came up with this one. I don't know if their prices are inline or not.

How do you know the mids and/or tweeters are gone if you don't have an amp thingy to drive them with? :confused:

As far as duct tape goes, if the speaker is that far gone, just replace it.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
S

son of sam

Audiophyte
the person i got them from had them going and he was basically using them as woofers (woffers? i lack soberity rite now...). the mid range wasnt working and the tweeters wasnt working.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sounds like you're better off just buying a pair of newer speakers.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
another good place to look is www.wooferrepair.com I got a pair of cones and covers for the 15 inch mains on some Infinity SM150's for $ 28.50 delivered priority mail.. They also send you a DVD with a tutorial on how to put them in.

Buy a new bottle of rubbing alcohol, some cheap plain white rags, and a box knife with a blade you don't really want anymore and you'll be in business.

I don't think the duct tape is stiff enough to move air... :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis