Are these wipes safe for blu ray and 4k UHD discs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why when you already have basic household stuff that will do just fine? Soap and water and a towel work just fine....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@cameron paterson
@lovinthehd

Those wipes are convenient, that's about it. If you don't use them often, they may dry up on you and then it's a waste of $.

I'm with lovin--Most of my CDs I will just run under the water and wipe them off on my jeans or T shirt. If it's a particularly dirty or sticky CD, then I may use good old IPA (i.e. rubbing alcohol) and a lint-free cloth.

If that won't get the job done, then most likely that CD is going to the trash and getting replaced.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What is on the discs that won't come off with a damp cloth?

And, here we go- "
  • Regular cleaning helps eliminate data error, skipping, mistracking and distortion."
Marketing.

When the first Sony CD players were finally available, we wanted to see what it took to make them skip, so I cut a piece of electrical tape, to form a triangle that had the full width of the tape at the outside edge. It played fine. NO light went through the tape. However, scattered light from smudges does affect how well it reaches the narrow track, but are people eating popcorn, fudge or ribs when they handle their discs?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you need to work on scratched discs sometimes a little toothpaste works as an abrasive/polish....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I am just curious, why do you think your discs need cleaning? Do you mishandle them with dirty hands?
The only discs that I need to wipe on my shirt sleeve from time to time are rental discs with a few fingerprints. And even then as a precaution.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
No but I buy used blu rays from red box and sometimes theyre smudged.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Try just water and a soft cloth first. If that is not enough add a very small amount of dish soap, a drop at the most, clean, wipe and dry.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I am just curious, why do you think your discs need cleaning? Do you mishandle them with dirty hands?
The only discs that I need to wipe on my shirt sleeve from time to time are rental discs with a few fingerprints. And even then as a precaution.
As far as I'm concerned, the only discs that I needed to clean were the ones which I rented from a video store, of course before putting them in the player.. The only owned ones that I needed to clean were a few which I had loaned to a girl friend. I ended up by not loaning any disc.
For cleaning I have been successful with a Windex type glass cleaner or an eye glass cleaner. I assume that most of us know that we shouldn't wipe them with a circular motion but from the center to the edge.
As for the wiping cloth, I only use a lint free kitchen paper towel which is soft enough.

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Yes I have heard of the center to edge not the circular motion.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As far as I'm concerned, the only discs that I needed to clean were the ones which I rented from a video store, of course before putting them in the player.. The only owned ones that I needed to clean were a few which I had loaned to a girl friend. I ended up by not loaning any disc.
For cleaning I have been successful with a Windex type glass cleaner or an eye glass cleaner. I assume that most of us know that we shouldn't wipe them with a circular motion but from the center to the edge.
As for the wiping cloth, I only use a lint free kitchen paper towel which is soft enough.
I would not really recommend Windex, it contains ammonium (unless you use the ammonia free variety)

highfigh

highfigh

If you need to work on scratched discs sometimes a little toothpaste works as an abrasive/polish....
That's awfully harsh abrasive- Novus plastic polish is a better choice. A fine cleaner/wax for gel coat is good, too.

I worked with someone who swore that using a silk tie was the best for polishing CDs. Yeah, OK.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's awfully harsh abrasive- Novus plastic polish is a better choice. A fine cleaner/wax for gel coat is good, too.

I worked with someone who swore that using a silk tie was the best for polishing CDs. Yeah, OK.
It seemed similar in grit as the original that came with the original cd repair kit I had....might depend on the toothpaste :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
LOL. Is she still a GF?;)
She still is. As a matter of fact, when I met her for the second time over 20 years ago, I told her that we would be friends forever. We are still friends today most probably because we never got romantically involved. I consider her as my little sister. :)

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
@cameron paterson
@lovinthehd

Those wipes are convenient, that's about it. If you don't use them often, they may dry up on you and then it's a waste of $.

I'm with lovin--Most of my CDs I will just run under the water and wipe them off on my jeans or T shirt. If it's a particularly dirty or sticky CD, then I may use good old IPA (i.e. rubbing alcohol) and a lint-free cloth.

If that won't get the job done, then most likely that CD is going to the trash and getting replaced.
I like you give the clarification of IPA. I shall not attempt to clean with a Harpoon Leviathan.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis