Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What I see quite a lot in thrift stores is mid-fi older HT receivers for dirt. In fact, there was a 7.1 Onkyo TX-something and a Denon (can't remember the model) sitting in a pile in one such place I went to a few weeks back. 20 bucks each.
I can't find anything but junk in my local thrift shops. I still look tho. I keep at it, hoping I'll find that unicorn. I'd love to find what you'd consider a good deal for sure, but it won't happen if I don't look.

You know, I thought about it, and you might not have been far off the mark afterall. I DO hope someone pops in and says "ZOMGZORS! Those are over90000 speakers and you need to go get 'em now!". Yeah. That is the reason I started this. I'm very enthusiastic about this hobby, particularly speakers, but there sure are a lot out there that I've never seen nor heard of before. If I find something that looks cool, but know nothing about it what better place to post a couple of pics and ask questions?

I have found a couple of gems. Those ten dollar IL40s are legit very good speakers, even still today. The whole series is known for their neutrality and clarity. I'd never seen them before. My main speakers are nicer and newer, but I just love those ILs and drag them out every once in a while and listen to them. My whole main system is based around a Craigslist find right now. When I found those Sierra 2s several people jumped and said "ZOMGZORS! You need to go get those right now!".

I think Zilla seeing the RBH sub I found was one of my favorite reactions tho...
Bruh all I know is if you don't get that RBH I'm driving all the way down they're and buying it out from underneath your nose. It'll go perfect with the other 2 I already own and that's a stupidly insane value for that sub. They are the BEST SUBS I've ever had only thing better is JTR or above or extreme DIY where you can get that 10hz or lower brown note performance if you really want to chase that. I don't care about below 16 Hz and those RBH are really out of the world from 16 on up
Crazy good deals are definitely subjective in the end. I can say that I'm sufficiently blown away by that sub, but I never would have gotten one at full retail. Just no way. Zilla jumping in there gave me a nudge to at least go check it out. I'm glad I did. Even at $900 it wasn't cheap and I might have passed. I'm glad I didn't. I absolutely love it and it really does elevate my experience. I'm using it nearfield and getting a lot more tactile bass than I was before.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I can't find anything but junk in my local thrift shops. I still look tho. I keep at it, hoping I'll find that unicorn. I'd love to find what you'd consider a good deal for sure, but it won't happen if I don't look.
To be clear, there's a chasm of difference between a good deal and a ridiculous deal. I got a good deal on my Belles at 2500 bucks, because they usually will run you around 4K. And humping it 2 hours to the coast to get them was a labor of love.

But, I do know a guy over on the Klipsch forum who scored a pair of 60's-era Klipschorns at a garage sale for $100. That's ridiculous. And I hate him for it. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
To be clear, there's a chasm of difference between a good deal and a ridiculous deal. I got a good deal on my Belles at 2500 bucks, because they usually will run you around 4K. And humping it 2 hours to the coast to get them was a labor of love.

But, I do know a guy over on the Klipsch forum who scored a pair of 60's-era Klipschorns at a garage sale for $100. That's ridiculous. And I hate him for it. :D
I look for great deals, but I'm always hopeful I'll find something ridiculous. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I dunno what to think about these B&W CM1 and CM2 Concept speakers? Not necessarily a great deal at $400, but interesting. They're definitely different, but do look kinda cool. Never heard of 'em before.

00O0O_lVCL83VxYiJz_0j40t2_1200x900.jpg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Only real deal I ever got was for a jbl LC2 off a old guy in Florida off eBay new in the box for 100 bucks and shipping. At the time they were still in the catalog going for like close to 600 bucks . He said it was to big to go under his tv it was a year old then he clearly didn’t try very hard to get a good price out of it .

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I dunno what to think about these B&W CM1 and CM2 Concept speakers?
Can't say as I've ever listened to them, but they are, in fact, designed to be clanked together like that - the CM2 was literally designed to be the CM1's floor stand and its low end extension, basically.

I'd bring a good amp with BT functionality (and some good .wav files on my phone) to test them out on site before I bought them, for sure. Reviews of the CM1 I found online indicated them being rather harsh in the high frequency range. But maybe adding the low extension drivers of the CM2 balances that out?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
They were It was very tempting, but left in a hurry. :p They need good ampage for them to shine they say in reviews I added above.
Klipsch KG's are extremely bright, so if that's your kind of thing...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can't say as I've ever listened to them, but they are, in fact, designed to be clanked together like that - the CM2 was literally designed to be the CM1's floor stand and its low end extension, basically.

I'd bring a good amp with BT functionality (and some good .wav files on my phone) to test them out on site before I bought them, for sure. Reviews of the CM1 I found online indicated them being rather harsh in the high frequency range. But maybe adding the low extension drivers of the CM2 balances that out?
Not gonna buy those. They're a bit much for a fun buy, but I thought they were cool and not common nowadays so I figured I'd share.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

As per my recent post, just to illustrate how the once mighty have fallen, I stumbled across this at Costco yesterday afternoon.

AR Sedona

They sounded like Junk. The same is happening all over the industry, people sell off the well know Brand Names, and they get slapped on garbage like this. Sad...

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Got these awhile back 120 bucks jbl north ridge E 30’s going to be rear presence channel’s.Haven’t had time to run the cables and find a good wall mount . They are well built and Farley heavy for there size .

Attachments

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Saw these today. Only got the great condition Dell PC Monitor with HDMI connection 1080p to see if I can resell it on Craigslist for a profit. The Klipch looked great, but some bruises on the box.
Tape deck was nice, but not for $29. The entertainment center stand was $25. Really wanted it. No room though. :( The Bostons would make a nice atmos heights for sure, but alas don't need em. Yammy nice don't need it.
View attachment 47716View attachment 47717
That's all folks. I know you guys were anticipating a return. :D
They are gone!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
They sell because of the brand name ... I would not put a whole lot of weight in the audioreview sight ... they tend to be better for movies ... besides you need room to walk around your apartment.
I just passed by quickly to look at vinyl and was curious if they were still there. The $14 Boston satts are still there. If they are next time I may bite for atmos.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone familiar with Acoustic Research? I found these for a hundred bucks. They look pretty nice. I guess that's an actual phase plug on the woofers. Never heard of them before tho.

They look to be from the Recoton and Jensen days ... just like Advent they went to the wayside

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis