Are These Finds Good Deals?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These have been in there for coming up on a couple of weeks now. Thought of you when I saw 'em.

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE. 3 of them for $330
Tad high on price I think. Can't remember what I paid for a pair, but I got b-stock, too, think less than $300 delivered? They're $510 new delivered for a L/R/C set now...

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That looks like a pretty good deal, nothing insane, but that’s $550 new + shipping.
They're on sale, exactly $510 new for the L/R/C set at the moment ($458 for the three speakers plus 52 shipping). If you're in California or some other states I guess you need to add tax, tho.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
They're on sale, exactly $510 new for the L/R/C set at the moment ($458 for the three speakers plus 52 shipping). If you're in California or some other states I guess you need to add tax, tho.
Yep, California resident here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aren’t you in Oregon? No sales tax up there right?
For now :) (I mean the tax, I'm staying no matter what). Nevada didn't have one when I was growing up but believe they do now. I expect a national value added tax like many countries use some day....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just to clarify---This speaker had a blown woofer when you bought it, you replaced the woofer, then that one blew too?

That would suggest that you have some other problem on that particular speaker that has now blown 2 woofers!

Don't replace the woofer again until you determine and correct root cause of the failures. 2 blown woofers in a row, I would absolutely expect 3 in a row without some other repairs first.
I missed this post until now. I found and ordered another woofer for the PhaseTech. It should be here in a couple of days.

You think there could be something a little more sinister than me just playing it too loud? There's also a possibility that the woofer I used to replace was already shot and I didn't notice.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
It is always a good sign when the only "con" they could find sounds like as much compliment as complaint!

Kind of like a subwoofer review where the only "con" is:
"requires two people to lift"
I thought that was awfully funny too :O

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I spent the day listening to the PhaseTechs (finally got a working, in good condition woofer) and the Overtures, switching back and forth between them and my Ultras. I had some time to kill... lol.

It wasn't a level matched, hardcore test but I can say that I preferred the PhaseTechs over the Overtures. They both image well, but the 7Ts have a wider soundstage and handle bass better. What I mean by that is, they roll off high enough that they didn't sound as stressed at higher volumes as the Overtures. I think a person could be pretty happy with either one, but if you gave me a choice I'd take the 7Ts.

An unexpected side effect of this was I now have a renewed appreciation for my Ultras. When I finished and hooked 'em back up I was kind of surprised (and relieved- I was starting to think I might even prefer the 7Ts over my Ultras, lol) at how much better they sound. They're a clear step above the other two pretty much across the board and completely demolished them in the bass department, as they should be. I mean, I only paid 35 bucks for the Overtures and I think I have around 90 bucks into the 7Ts now.

I have the socks, PhaseTech badges and I'm going to get the caps finished up nice for the 7Ts. When I get them finished they're going to look and sound really nice! I'll try my luck reselling them here locally on Craigslist. I doubt I'll make any kind of a profit tho. Having to buy another replacement woofer ate up any chance I had of that, but I might break even if I'm lucky. I'm kinda stoked to get them done now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These I'm just curious about. Spica TC 50s. Asking price is too high at $250 but I've never seen them before and am wondering if any of you guys have.

00202_9fscfIKQWm1_600x450.jpg

01717_ejey6SwbWBQ_600x450.jpg

American Acoustics for $50. Cheap enough, but again I'm more curious about the brand.

00x0x_8ip5JzDGtNt_600x450.jpg

Hafler 300 towers for $100. And again, more curious about the brand than anything.

00b0b_8Siab9HVjkn_600x450.jpg
00U0U_a0rOzMZuyBa_600x450.jpg

Finally, these Infinity Interludes are still there for $95. I'm tempted to go listen to those if they're close enough.

00K0K_2dpG5LyUq3h_600x450.jpg
00m0m_gBHDC3G5Q0P_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hafler is good
They have that look to them. Are they $100 good for those towers? This is the entire description.
"Great quality speakers in a quality box, drivers are good, no tears in dust covers, trades welcomed but Cash is King".

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They have that look to them. Are they $100 good for those towers? This is the entire description.
"Great quality speakers in a quality box, drivers are good, no tears in dust covers, trades welcomed but Cash is King".
Worth $150 to me .... however, $100 is a good deal

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis