Are surge protectors really necessary?... If YES, which brand!

R

rudecast

Audiophyte
I just bought an ONKY HTS570 from circuit city. The sales person insisted I get a surge protector, so I bought "Monster Cable MP AV600 Power Protector" for $30.00. As I looked around the store I found other brands that were much cheaper $15, $20 (RAYOVAC, GE, etc). I asked another sales person what was the difference between the Monster and the other brands, he said "Monster is 10 times better than any other brand". Is that a true statement????....

Now, the real reason why I bought the surge protector was b/c I had to return a previous system (same ONKYO) b/c the fisrt one I installed had to be returned. The reason, I plugged the system at home (on an extension cord with a lot of other component on it) and the it got disconnected from the outlet. After that the Receiver never came back on. I believe the "amp. protection circuit" was activated.

Thanks
RC
NYC

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Yes, they're necessary if you don't wanna see your receiver fried by a lightning or something. I don't know if Monster would be 10 times better than their competitors, but i doubt it. They're used to do that kind of merchandising with everything they sell; my experience is in cables and i remember the Monster XP that suppossed to sound "dramatically better" than ordinary 12 awg zip cord and they didn't. They were better looking but that's all. A 1200 watts surge protector would be sufficient.

R

rudecast

Audiophyte
Thanx toquemon......

So, do you think my system will sound just as good with 16 guage wire from Radio Shack (100' for $19), as with 16 guage Monster wire (100' for $50)

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Yes your system would sound the same if you compare the radio shack to monster. I would like to recommend Panamax surge protectors. I use them on my HT and computer.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Check tripp lite for some very reliable and affordable designs.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
rudecast said:
Thanx toquemon......

So, do you think my system will sound just as good with 16 guage wire from Radio Shack (100' for $19), as with 16 guage Monster wire (100' for $50)
There will be zero difference in sound between the Radio Shack and Monster speaker wire.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
rudecast said:
he said "Monster is 10 times better than any other brand". Is that a true statement????....Thanks
RC
NYC
Of course he would say that. He is financially tied to selling Monster stuff.
In reality, they are not.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Apart from Monster check out old time surge protector and other power conditioner makers like APC and Tripp Lite, both make genuinely good protectors with true EMI/RFI filters as well as good clamping speed.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
These are best: Wiremold L10320

No power strip or conditioner will save your system from lightning. Most of those strips with a circuit breaker, noise filter, lights, swithes, fuses...reduce performance.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
cornelius said:
These are best: Wiremold L10320

No power strip or conditioner will save your system from lightning. Most of those strips with a circuit breaker, noise filter, lights, swithes, fuses...reduce performance.
Well, in that case, better use an ADCOM line level conditioner and surge protector, or, use the famous PANAMAX. The point here is that the use of a surge protector is vital.

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
Power conditioners are also a very good thing to have installed but can be cost prohibitive (anywhere from $200 to $500+). Another option is a good uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that conditions the power output. APC BP280S includes automatic voltage regulation (AVR) to the protected outlets and will only set you back about $130. MinuteMan MBK550E also uses AVR and includes $50,000 MINUTEMAN Platinum Protection Plan for under $90.

Either way, if you live anywhere that power problems exist (lightning or voltage spikes/dips) protection at whatever level is better than none at all. APC surge strips also have a $2,500 equipment protection for their really cheap ones. Monster is a fine brand, don't get me wrong, but there are other alternatives.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I think it depends what you buy, and why you buy it. If you buy it thinking it will dramatically and noticably improve the sound of your system, I think you will be dissappointed. If you buy it to protect your system, I think it will serve you well. I have one (see sig) because my power is routed to the small town I live in by overhead power lines. Lightening fried my 56" big screen, and it cost me $1 per minute (yes a buck a minute) to get it fixed, as the repair guy had to drive to my house to fix it. I think of it as insurance, and if it filters out some garbage and potential noise out of my power, great.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
There are:

Power Strips.... just serve as an extension cord with additional outlets. Price $5 to $25

Surge Protectors... actually serve to prevent large electrical spikes from reaching expensive equipment. Most Surge Protectors are $10 to $60 and many will also serve as a Power Strip with addition outlets. Easily confused with Power Strips, especially because of price similiarity. Check for warranty regarding electrical spikes. Monster Cable, Panamax, Belkin and many others will over a significant warranty (free) for equipment items that are connected to their units and damaged by electrical spikes.

Line Conditioners.... eliminate EMI and RFI noise. Also serve as a Surge Protector, and in most cases, a Power Strip. Prices starting at $30 and UP. Surprise, surprise, Line Conditioners look much like Surge Protectors and Power Strips. Same manufacturers.

Things to remember....

don't send somebody (the wife, kids, your cousin Dave, or your Mom) to buy a Power Strip, because that is exactly what you will get... a Power Strip. Sending them for a Surge Protector, will still most likely result in you getting a Power Strip. These items all look alike. Sending them to some stores for a Line Conditioner will result in you purchasing a $350 rack mounted Line Conditioner. A bit of overkill.

Connections. You can never have enough outlets. Unless specifically adviced against, if at all possible, have an entire HT routed through one surge protector. If a single surge proctector is not possible, then segments should be grouped on a surge protector. In other words, the TV, cable box, and VCR should be on one surge protector, while the Receiver, DVD etc should be on another surge protector, if all components could not be on a single surge protector.

Remember cable, telephone, and other equipment items that may be connected to the HT system should be connected through the surge protector.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis