Are ribbon/planar speakers suited for HT?

J

jordanny

Enthusiast
In reading many threads about speakers, I notice no mention of ribbon or planar speakers for HT. Are such speakers--Magnepans, for example-- not suited for HT? I've heard several Maggies ( models MMG, 1.2 and 1.6, to be exact) and for music they are amazing. Great 'air', depth, tonal qualities, and the imaging is to die for. Would these qualities not transfer well to HT? According to their website, they now have a matched system specifically designed ( they say...) for HT-- MMG W wall-mount and MMG C center. Combined, 2 sets of the walls and a center are under $1000, but are recommended to be used with a powered sub. Even 4 of the much larger floor standing MMG's and center are only about $1500. Does anyone know anything about these or other ribbon/ planars? I'm pretty new to this site, but already I've learned to listen to the advice of people here. I'm looking for new speakers, and Maggies have crossed my mind. BUT, I don't want to throw my $$$ away. Any thoughts?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
everything I've read about the Maggie sound is that it's fantastic. The only potential problem is that they are 4 ohm speakers and take one whale of an amp to drive well.

there is also no end to the coolness factor of speakers that are only an inch or two thick :)

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
I have a pair of Apogees in the 2 channel room. (Very similar to Maggies) They are outstanding for music, especially acoustic, choral, and chamber music.

The sweet spot is very small however, and my HT room is quite large. Also, planar speakers don't have the dynamic punch that my other speakers do.

In the HT it's actively biamped compression horns. Detail, huge sweet spot, incredible dynamics, and incredibly efficient. Sounds good with music, especially rock, dance/trance, R&B, etc.

Not that you can't do either with both kinds of speakers, but that's what I decided was the best use of these types.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis