Are Polk R15's any good for $80?

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for a new pair of bookshelf speakers but I don't want to spend alot of money. CC has a pair of Polk R15's on sale for $80. My question is whether I would be better off saving a little extra and getting a pair of Athena AS-B1 for $129 at BB?

U

Unregistered

the polks are good but you would be better off with the athena the athenas sound more like the RTi series a better choice

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
You should listen to them and decide for yourself. The reviews i've read are very good.

U

Unregistered

Rÿche 1 said:
You should listen to them and decide for yourself. The reviews i've read are very good.
Its so funny you should mention these speakers b/c I was debating this same issue. I ended getting the Polks. I had a 10% off coupon at CC (however if you look hard enough you will see there is a Bestbuy 10% off coupon this weekend).

I listened to both and for me there was not a 50 dollar difference in the two. You would be very hard pressed to find the quality of the polks for under 100 bucks.

For eighty bucks you can't beat it. Plus they will become my rears in a couple of months.

Does anyone have thoughts on the CSI20? I saw them on eBay for pretty cheap. NIB.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
I have Polks. My mains are older RT7 bookshelves, but they sound very good for the price with a very warm sound and excellent soundstage/imaging. I also have a CSi30 center channel which again sounds very good. I personally can't comment on the sound of the R15 having never heard them, but in general Polk speakers are very good (and very under-rated IMO). The price is certainly right. Just audition them before buying if possible.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I agree. At $80, they're unbeatable. The Athena's are a great speaker also and worthy of consideration, but the R15s are an unbelieable value at that price.

U

Unregistered

nm2285 said:
I agree. At $80, they're unbeatable. The Athena's are a great speaker also and worthy of consideration, but the R15s are an unbelieable value at that price.
This might sound like the newbie of all newbie questions but how can I find a center channel that is matched to my new r15s. I saw that the CSI20 is matched but I may buy a better center if I knew what to look for.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Unregistered said:
This might sound like the newbie of all newbie questions but how can I find a center channel that is matched to my new r15s. I saw that the CSI20 is matched but I may buy a better center if I knew what to look for.
Some feel timbre matching at least the front three are fairly important for a seamless soundstage. I'm among them. Generally, it's best to simply purchase the center speaker that was made by the manufacturer to compliment the mains. Their literature will usually specify which ones meet this criteria.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I heard the R15's at CC but ended up buying the Rti4's at $200/pair. At $80 the R15's are a great value. Peace.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I wouldn't spend the money on a better center until you buy better main speakers (unless the 15s are your surrounds). The CSi20 would do you fine. But, stick to the Polk line if you do decide to upgrade.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis