Arcam SR250 Stereo AV Receiver Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Arcam has always designed and produced top notch amplifiers, but at CES in Las Vegas this year they introduced a top notch AV receiver for two-channel enthusiasts - the SR250. The SR250 is designed to fill the gap for audio enthusiasts who have their room setup for stereo listening, but still want the connectivity and flexibility that a networked modern AVR delivers and sophisticated room correction to optimize the speaker to room integration. Is it right for you?

Read: Arcam SR250 Stereo AV Receiver Preview

Let us know if you think a 2CH AV receiver is still viable in the modern age of 5.1 and beyond.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
100,000 people, that's a big problem.

So, I'm both intrigued and confused by this product.

It's a novel idea, especially for someone like me who generally does not care about surround sound. It doesn't take me long after starting a movie to completely forget whether or not I'm listening to surround sound or not. The only time I don't forget is when I'm watching a movie that has a poor sound system in general (anything ranging from TV speakers to soundbars and HTIABs). I am otherwise content with a quality 2 channel system with the augmentation of a decent subwoofer.

BUT.....

The silkscreening or laser etched front panel indicates that it decodes DTS-HD & "Dolby Audio", whatever that means. Does it save ARCAM money to not include the full suite of decoding options? I do wonder why they didn't include 7.2 multichannel outputs and offer a supplementary 5 channel amplifier to make this setup a powerhouse. It's a trickle starter's wet dream (pun is intended) to get a great 2 channel receiver that can be upgraded to 5.1 or 7.1 surround later if you want.

I do agree with the philosophy here that the entire internal amplifier be a strictly 2 channel. That means no heatsink real-estate is wasted on transistors not being used so one can assume this receiver has at least 6 heavy duty output devices for each channel, possibly more. You're lucky to get 4 per channel on even the highest priced multichannel AVRs today and they're often so crowded the receiver needs 1-2 noisy fans in order to keep the amplifier from cooking itself. So for reliability reasons this design may certainly be optimal, especially for those interested in 2 channel audio only.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I do wonder why they didn't include 7.2 multichannel outputs and offer a supplementary 5 channel amplifier to make this setup a powerhouse.
To hazard a guess, their working assumption might be that someone willing to add onto the setup later with a 5 ch amp would probably just start with a pre/pro anyway.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So it's a $3600 AV RECEIVER with pre-outs and just 2Ch of amps, instead of 9CH of amps. I wonder how big are the amps? 125 WPC x 2ch = 250 (hence "SR250") ?

R..........I............G..............H..............T.............

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
So it's a $3600 AV RECEIVER with pre-outs and just 2Ch of amps, instead of 9CH of amps. I wonder how big are the amps? 125 WPC x 2ch = 250 (hence "SR250") ?

R..........I............G..............H..............T.............
Nope. :D

The chaps at ARCAM said:
Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω
2 channels driven, 20Hz - 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 90W
2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 120W
Lame duck.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You guys are mistaken. This is just a two channel receiver. It only has a left and right pre-out along with two sub pre-outs. No multi-channel for this machine.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You guys are mistaken. This is just a two channel receiver. It only has a left and right pre-out along with two sub pre-outs. No multi-channel for this machine.
I'm aware it doesn't have multichannel outputs. I was marveling at the lack of multichannel outputs.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
If it had a humdinger of an amp section, it might have had a hope. At 90wpc - especially considering the asking price - methinks it will be DOA.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It keeps on getting worse and worse by the minute. :eek:

A $3600 90WPC Stereo AV Receiver. :eek:

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I like the idea, but it too expensive for me. I will continue to use a 5.1 AVR as a 2.1. Peace and goodwill.

camelot1971

camelot1971

Audioholic Intern
The reason it's expensive is it uses class G amplification and also has Dirac Live built into it. It's unfortunate that Arcam products are always so expensive in the US with the exchange rate being what it is.

The 90WPC doesn't reflect the capability of this - it's capable of driving any speaker to reference levels :) If you have a dealer near you I highly recommend a listen before writing it off.

The AVR600 and AVR750 were very respected amps and the new AVR850 is getting glowing reviews too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The 90WPC doesn't reflect the capability of this - it's capable of driving any speaker to reference levels :)
Capable of producing reference levels on speakers with sensitivity of 86dB/2.83v/m from 4 meters distance with 90WPC?

95dB from this speaker would require 127W. 100dB from this speaker would require 400W.

camelot1971

camelot1971

Audioholic Intern
Although Arcam don't specify the 4ohm rating for the 250, looking at the 850 (which it is based on), it's reasonable to assume around 160w.

My AVR600 is class G and can drive my 7 SVS Ultra speakers (which are 87db) to reference level with ease.

If you think the SR250 is junk/pointless etc that's fair enough. I just think you need to listen to it (or it's sister amps) before writing it off. The quality of an amp is so much more than how much power it produces.

Or are you saying that the only thing that matters in an amp is WPC?

I know I am coming over as an Arcam fan boy (which I am as I loved them for over 20 years!) but it's annoying when people go .. "90WPC? It's rubbish!" :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
If you think the SR250 is junk/pointless etc that's fair enough.
I wouldn't call it junk, but the price tag of $3,600 isn't going to earn it a value badge. For that kind of dough, one could buy a nice pre/pro like the Marantz AV7702 Mk II ($2,200), a reasonably high end two channel amp like the ATI AT1202 ($895), and still save a few bucks while ending up with a more capable system that could be expanded later.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Although Arcam don't specify the 4ohm rating for the 250, looking at the 850 (which it is based on), it's reasonable to assume around 160w.

My AVR600 is class G and can drive my 7 SVS Ultra speakers (which are 87db) to reference level with ease.

If you think the SR250 is junk/pointless etc that's fair enough. I just think you need to listen to it (or it's sister amps) before writing it off. The quality of an amp is so much more than how much power it produces.

Or are you saying that the only thing that matters in an amp is WPC?

I know I am coming over as an Arcam fan boy (which I am as I loved them for over 20 years!) but it's annoying when people go .. "90WPC? It's rubbish!" :)
I don't think anyone is saying it is junk. Just overpriced for the spec. IOW, some of us think they are being a little stingy. :)

I do agree that quality is more important than quantity. But for $3600, I think 150WPC would be great.

BTW, what's the "1971" in your screen name? :)

Last edited:
camelot1971

camelot1971

Audioholic Intern
It's a shame that anything primarily sold in UK £ then exported to the US will generally be more expensive that it's US competitors.

Arcam have always been expensive and it's very much a personal choice if you think they are value for money or not. My AVR600 was $6000 new - how many people would pay that for an AV receiver? I lived in Pittsburgh for 8 years back in the late 90's and remember my local dealer there getting an AVR100! Can't recall how much it was but I did buy it :)

Of course, a lot of Arcam's US competitors aren't sold in the UK so the choice for "high end" home cinema gear is limited compared to the US market.

I still think people should listen to the SR250 before judging whether it's worth the cost or not. I appreciate *I* haven't heard it either, but I have heard it's brother and the class G amps in my 600 :)

The 1971 is just my year of birth - yes, I am old!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a shame that anything primarily sold in UK £ then exported to the US will generally be more expensive that it's US competitors.

Arcam have always been expensive and it's very much a personal choice if you think they are value for money or not. My AVR600 was $6000 new - how many people would pay that for an AV receiver? I lived in Pittsburgh for 8 years back in the late 90's and remember my local dealer there getting an AVR100! Can't recall how much it was but I did buy it :)

Of course, a lot of Arcam's US competitors aren't sold in the UK so the choice for "high end" home cinema gear is limited compared to the US market.

I still think people should listen to the SR250 before judging whether it's worth the cost or not. I appreciate *I* haven't heard it either, but I have heard it's brother and the class G amps in my 600 :)

The 1971 is just my year of birth - yes, I am old!
Not that old. ;) That's also my year. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis