Arcam AVR300 Replacement Suggestions

quern

Audiophyte
All:

I have a sick AVR300. When I turn the unit on it powers off almost immediately after the "SAT" clicks on to hear my DVR. I called a local repair center and they said it's a known issue with the MB and a fix is in the $450-500 range.

So, with that said I am thinking of moving to something newer with HDMI switching and Audessy (or similar).

My issue is I want similar sound quality but less $$. I purchased my unit back when I was single... now I'm a married father of 2 children (both under 1 1/2yrs of age) so I need to spend more wisely.

What suggestions do you all have for something under $1K but with high quality sound for 2CH and Surround?

I have a 5.1 system with Atlantic Tech 350THX Speakers.

Thanks in advance.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you have a decent source for music and you are using analog, then your high quality sound is coming from there anyway, so you can definitely step down in price and still have solid music. I like the Arcam stuff, but it is just too expensive for my liking. I am not familiar with those speakers, but you'll probably be looking at something mid-level from Marantz, possibly Harman Kardon to get comparable sound. Ideally I'd say something like the Marantz SR7005, but that isn't going to be found under $1K right now. There is a refurb on Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices! for $1100.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Pre Pro

Have you looked into separates? Say the Emotiva UMC-1 with a good 5 or 7 channel Amp? They are currently selling the UMC-1 for $499 and you can pick up a decent Amp from Outlaw from $699 to $999. I know it's a little more than the $1,000 you wanted to spend, but the Emotiva DAC's are very good and I think you'll get better SQ than the Arcam. I had an AVR-350 and while it was a good receiver, it can't compare to going with separates...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Have you looked into separates? Say the Emotiva UMC-1 with a good 5 or 7 channel Amp? They are currently selling the UMC-1 for $499 and you can pick up a decent Amp from Outlaw from $699 to $999. I know it's a little more than the $1,000 you wanted to spend, but the Emotiva DAC's are very good and I think you'll get better SQ than the Arcam. I had an AVR-350 and while it was a good receiver, it can't compare to going with separates...
I was going to mention that as well, just not sure how firm that budget is.

J

jeffster15

Enthusiast
If i was going to run a power amp for my fronts, would it be better to get a 3 channel amp and power the center as well?

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Yes. You should always power the front 3 channels with the same amp. You can always run the rears with a receiver or a separate amp, but the front 3 should always be powered by the same power amp as amps have specific sound signatures that you'll want to match

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes. You should always power the front 3 channels with the same amp. You can always run the rears with a receiver or a separate amp, but the front 3 should always be powered by the same power amp as amps have specific sound signatures that you'll want to match
I guess there may be amps like that but I want no part of those. I prefer amps that just do their job, that is amplify the signal faithfully and linearly and I know I am not alone on this. I am not sure if the OP would want amps that have their own signatures. In case he does, I would suggest he find ways to listen to them (I wouldn't know what they are, presumably either low end ones or expensive ones designed to sound different to suit different taste..) first to make sure he likes the particular signature. Or he can choose to not believe such talks and simply go buy one that suits his power needs and budget. As suggested, for a 1K budget EMO may be the ticket.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
All:

I have a sick AVR300. When I turn the unit on it powers off almost immediately after the "SAT" clicks on to hear my DVR. I called a local repair center and they said it's a known issue with the MB and a fix is in the $450-500 range.

So, with that said I am thinking of moving to something newer with HDMI switching and Audessy (or similar).

My issue is I want similar sound quality but less $$. I purchased my unit back when I was single... now I'm a married father of 2 children (both under 1 1/2yrs of age) so I need to spend more wisely.

What suggestions do you all have for something under $1K but with high quality sound for 2CH and Surround?

I have a 5.1 system with Atlantic Tech 350THX Speakers.

Thanks in advance.
For under 1K, the RX-A2000 should be able to make those 4 ohms speakers sound good in 2 channel stereo mode. For 5.1, just be careful not cranking the volume too high, I suspect up to -15 or even -10 would be fine. 7 or 8 years ago there may not be many AVR that can compete with the AVR-300 in sound quality but new ones such as the mid range RX-A Yamaha or AVR33XX Denon, or Onkyo TX-NR100X should come extremely close if not as good.

J

jeffster15

Enthusiast
Ok or how how about 3 of the outlaw 2200's monoblock to power the fronts and center?

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Peng, all I'm saying is that he should power his front 3 channels with the same amp or type of amps. I think that anyone would agree with that, and some amps sound different than others. If they didn't, companies like Emotiva would put companies like Classe, Krell, and Mcintosh out of business. Don't get me wrong, Emotiva makes a fantastic product for the money, but to say they are as good as McIntosh amps would be just naive. Honda and Ferrari both make cars that get you from point A to point B, but how they get you there is vastly different.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Jeff, 3 mono blocks from Outlaw would be and sound great if you have the rack space. You could also do just a multichannel amp that might give you bi-amping capabilities as you upgrade speakers down the road.

J

jeffster15

Enthusiast
Jeff, 3 mono blocks from Outlaw would be and sound great if you have the rack space. You could also do just a multichannel amp that might give you bi-amping capabilities as you upgrade speakers down the road.
Ok thanks for your help, i like the outlaws cause they aren't very tall and there stackable, and space is in issue with the bigger multi channel amps

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Size-wise you mean depth or height? The Emotiva XPA-3 would be my choice, but it is 3" taller than 3 of those monos stacked. In both cases, you will also need to allow room above them for airflow.

J

jeffster15

Enthusiast
Size-wise you mean depth or height? The Emotiva XPA-3 would be my choice, but it is 3" taller than 3 of those monos stacked. In both cases, you will also need to allow room above them for airflow.
Height wise, i have an open air tv stand that has 3 shelfs, and i want it on the bottom shelf, which the opening is only 9 inches tall, so idk if thats enough airflow for it. So thats why i looked into the outlaws because there slim.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Height wise, i have an open air tv stand that has 3 shelfs, and i want it on the bottom shelf, which the opening is only 9 inches tall, so idk if thats enough airflow for it. So thats why i looked into the outlaws because there slim.
If you can find them, the older Marantz MA700, MA500 and MA6100 monos can typically be found pretty cheap and they are solid amps, if you don't mind used. They aren't shorter, but three will take up even less physical space than three 2200s (except the MA700s). I ran three 500s for years.

Since it is an open rack, 9" is probably adequate for the XPA-3 as long as there's a few inches on either side as well. Here's how I have mine:

My side panels are perforated metal, so they let air flow and as you can see, the back is removed also because my receiver and amp are too deep for the standard back plates.

J

jeffster15

Enthusiast
If you can find them, the older Marantz MA700, MA500 and MA6100 monos can typically be found pretty cheap and they are solid amps, if you don't mind used. They aren't shorter, but three will take up even less physical space than three 2200s (except the MA700s). I ran three 500s for years.

Since it is an open rack, 9" is probably adequate for the XPA-3 as long as there's a few inches on either side as well. Here's how I have mine:

My side panels are perforated metal, so they let air flow and as you can see, the back is removed also because my receiver and amp are too deep for the standard back plates.
Ok cool, ya i will take a look at those, but i think i would still prefer new.

Ya it would probably be the only thing on the bottom shelf, maybe a ps3 or something, but it would have plenty airflow on the sides, just wasn't sure about the airflow on top.

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
If I was replacing my Arcam AVR280 I'd be taking a serious look at the Yamaha RX-A2010.

G

goldenbear

Audiophyte
Hey quern! I just stumbled upon this post and I have been having a very similar issue with my Arcam avr-350. Would you mind enlightening me on what the repair center told you, if they remember? What is the "MB"?

Thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis