surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I purchased an additional 7 channel amp used off of EBAY. It's shown here Aragon - 2007 (Klipsch) (aragonav.com) . It is in pristine condition inside and outside- like new. It sounds pretty good. I'm using my Denon AVR-4520 in pre-amp mode. It's said to be a smart amp. If anyone cares to bring me up to a knowledgeable state on smart amps, it would be appreciated! Although , I don't expect comment- as I'm pretty much goasted on this site.;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What would a "smart" amp mean? Not heard that phrase before. You have an external amp slightly more capable than your 4520. Congrats.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What would a "smart" amp mean?
It's 200 wpc on any 3 channels ... leaving almost nothing for the other 4. Probably a power supply limitation. That might have something to do with the 'smart' thing.

Ahhh ... here:

The 2000 Series amplifiers feature a single power supply design that we call SmartPower™. In this configuration, a channel could provide substantially more than its rated output for short periods of time by getting more energy from the power supply while the other channels aren't demanding as much. SmartPower™ enables the amplifier to perform at optimal levels in high-end two-channel audio environments as well as in the most demanding home theater applications.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If anyone cares to bring me up to a knowledgeable state on smart amps, it would be appreciated!
I had bought that amp from KEW back in the day for 750 and sold it back to him for the same price years later. I just noticed the smart amp thing. I dunno, it worked well, ran cool and looked bitchin'.

In the end it proved to be a lot of extra wiring that took up a lot of space in a small condo. I was lucky to be able to try it out in a couple of systems over close to a decade. Nothing I did phased the amp.

Now I kinda miss it.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Power consumption at 120W idle is quite high.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis