AppleTV and Dolby Digital

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I'm having some weird behavior with my AppleTV and not sure if the issue is with that unit, my receiver (Denon x4100) or software/content. When I select my AppleTV as the source input for the Denon, it shows Dolby Digital as the audio output mode on the main menu screen, on the screen where I pick a movie to watch, and when it plays the movie title screen. However, when the movie itself actually starts to play, it reverts to Stereo output. This happens regardless of the movie chosen. I've heard some content on the iTunes movie store apparently isn't sold in Dolby Digital or TrueHD, even if the trailer is, but in that case, shouldn't I at least be getting a ProLogic output? And these are all pretty new films (Jason Bourne, Harry Potter & Deathly Hollows Pt. 2) that show in the iTunes Store as having DD content.

I've tried setting the Audio output in the Apple TV to both "Best Quality Available" and "Dolby Digital" and I get the same issue regardless. I'm stumped. Help!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm having some weird behavior with my AppleTV and not sure if the issue is with that unit, my receiver (Denon x4100) or software/content. When I select my AppleTV as the source input for the Denon, it shows Dolby Digital as the audio output mode on the main menu screen, on the screen where I pick a movie to watch, and when it plays the movie title screen. However, when the movie itself actually starts to play, it reverts to Stereo output. This happens regardless of the movie chosen. I've heard some content on the iTunes movie store apparently isn't sold in Dolby Digital or TrueHD, even if the trailer is, but in that case, shouldn't I at least be getting a ProLogic output? And these are all pretty new films (Jason Bourne, Harry Potter & Deathly Hollows Pt. 2) that show in the iTunes Store as having DD content.

I've tried setting the Audio output in the Apple TV to both "Best Quality Available" and "Dolby Digital" and I get the same issue regardless. I'm stumped. Help!
Try doing a reset on the Apple TV and then set audio output and HDMI to auto.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
It’s pretty common for streaming providers not to deliver movies in 5.1. You might try manually switching your receiver to Dolby Pro Logic when you see it revert to stereo output.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does iTunes indicate the movies are provided in regular DD or DD+ ? Seems to me I've read of issues with certain Denons of that era and DD+....

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Streaming is cool but I'm not a fan of the audio quality. I find the video to be very nice and so much better over the years but I also get a lot of stuff in just 2 channel or stereo.
However make sure your Denon is set to "Auto Detect" for audio which it probably is. I see you went into the audio settings of the Apple Tv and seem to have it set correctly. Reboot the Apple TV and check for firmware upgrades. Also you might want to go out and grab a new one to compare. See if it's returnable before you buy it so you can test your system and make sure the issue is the Apple TV and not your Denon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis