Apple TV versus a Sony Bravia's Google TV

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I'm presently using my Sony's native 'Google TV', via eARC, to engage my Marantz AV10.

Am I missing anything? Is a streaming box (like the Apple) cabled directly into the Marantz superior, for audio, compared to the Sony's Google TV?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
If the same app used across TVs and devices supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, there should be no huge difference in its presentation. But, many TV apps lag behind the apps installed in the best streaming devices and sometimes HDR and multichannel audio aren't supported in a TV compared to a streamer. The service tier of a given app is also a key component on any device.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
If the same app used across TVs and devices supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, there should be no huge difference in its presentation. But, many TV apps lag behind the apps installed in the best streaming devices and sometimes HDR and multichannel audio aren't supported in a TV compared to a streamer. The service tier of a given app is also a key component on any device.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my Sony running Google TV supports all formats, including Atmos sound and vision. My reasoning with the high end Sony, was it seemed best for the 'vision' to let the TV do its own thing. But, I like separates, and read great reviews of the Apple TV box. Why buy an Apple box (or another) box? Well, you've answered that question, but still how can I compare my Sony to the Apple box at the level of 'service tier'?

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Many services now do not offer 4K/Dolby Vision/HDR10+ or Dolby Atmos with their basic "With Ads" subscriptions. So, if using a basic tier, the streamer will not matter much here. Eco systems matter here as well. Those all in on Apple will want to use an Apple TV 4K. Lossless audio and Dolby Atmos from Apple Music will not be had from any other streamer. Unfortunately, for those with movie files on a NAS, the Apple TV 4K is limited in audio signals it can accept and put out. LPCM, DD and DD+/Atmos are supported audio signals here. It does not bitstream audio. For those wanting more audio signal support and customizability, look to the Nvidia Shield TV Pro.

Many await the next Apple TV 4K. I'm still using a Gen 1 from 2017. I did upgrade the remote controller but there is still no compelling reason to get the Gen 3. The Gen 4 would have to support bitstream, DTHD and DTS:X for me to get another one. Disney+ rolled out IMAX Signature Sound by DTS(lossy DTS:X) recently but no current streamer is supported at this time as only certain new Android TVs that can decode DTS:X Profile 2 are able to use it. I had hoped my Nvidia Shield TV Pro would be a supported device at launch but it did not work. So, I'm waiting it out a bit.

The purchase of an external streamer will be necessary for some if their preferred apps do not run optimally on their Smart TV. Research needs to be done when considering matching streaming service apps with the optimal streaming device.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Many services now do not offer 4K/Dolby Vision/HDR10+ or Dolby Atmos with their basic "With Ads" subscriptions. So, if using a basic tier, the streamer will not matter much here. Eco systems matter here as well. Those all in on Apple will want to use an Apple TV 4K. Lossless audio and Dolby Atmos from Apple Music will not be had from any other streamer. Unfortunately, for those with movie files on a NAS, the Apple TV 4K is limited in audio signals it can accept and put out. LPCM, DD and DD+/Atmos are supported audio signals here. It does not bitstream audio. For those wanting more audio signal support and customizability, look to the Nvidia Shield TV Pro.

Many await the next Apple TV 4K. I'm still using a Gen 1 from 2017. I did upgrade the remote controller but there is still no compelling reason to get the Gen 3. The Gen 4 would have to support bitstream, DTHD and DTS:X for me to get another one. Disney+ rolled out IMAX Signature Sound by DTS(lossy DTS:X) recently but no current streamer is supported at this time as only certain new Android TVs that can decode DTS:X Profile 2 are able to use it. I had hoped my Nvidia Shield TV Pro would be a supported device at launch but it did not work. So, I'm waiting it out a bit.

The purchase of an external streamer will be necessary for some if their preferred apps do not run optimally on their Smart TV. Research needs to be done when considering matching streaming service apps with the optimal streaming device.
Ok, thanks for that! Research does need to be done, I'm convinced. But of course I wish I didn't have to...

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I have encountered an issue with MAX movies via Google App with Sony OLED TV, when watching a movie a green band appears horizontally at the bottom of the screen . I don't understand why is that?..
I have the AD Free package on Max and recently they stopped Dolby Vision with our package which now costs $16:95 .

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I must add Netflix tho an extremely WOKE looks good via Google & Sony OLED when it comes to Dolby V & Dolby Atmos

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I have encountered an issue with MAX movies via Google App with Sony OLED TV, when watching a movie a green band appears horizontally at the bottom of the screen . I don't understand why is that?..
I have the AD Free package on Max and recently they stopped Dolby Vision with our package which now costs $16:95 .
Yeah, at on point I saw this too. Now, it's gone'

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I must add Netflix tho an extremely WOKE looks good via Google & Sony OLED when it comes to Dolby V & Dolby Atmos
For me, living in Poland, and using a VPN, Netflix registers on my Marantz as Atmos sound, but the picture is anything but 4K (let alone Atmos) quality. The only dependable high quality streaming is via Apple, great picture and sound. I think most providers, especially Netflix, are cheating on sound (reduced dynamics and detail, but all the channels are there) and vision, all of them. And we cannot quantitatively detect this cheat. My old BluRays, for example, the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy offer sound, with dynamics and detail, beyond anything Netflix provides with 'Atmos'.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I wonder, how much audio data, that encodes dynamics and detail, we are missing by streaming, compared to BluRay discs. I've seen posts that suggest it's a huge margin.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder, how much audio data, that encodes dynamics and detail, we are missing by streaming, compared to BluRay discs. I've seen posts that suggest it's a huge margin.
Even with a better service on a good streamer, the difference is noticeable. So if audio is the priority, you'll want physical media. I rarely buy, but when it is something like Dune 2, the best audio will be media not streamed. Not that streamed audio is bad, but it is a compromise.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Even with a better service on a good streamer, the difference is noticeable. So if audio is the priority, you'll want physical media. I rarely buy, but when it is something like Dune 2, the best audio will be media not streamed. Not that streamed audio is bad, but it is a compromise.
Yes, I'm sure your impression is correct. This is a sad situation, since most of us are streaming. And buying a BluRay disc, 'physical media', in a streaming world, would seem to be absurd decision. But, the streaming services are not honest, I think, about their data. It will only get worse as the streaming services further eliminate physical media, with their 'fakes'. And no one, in any numbers that matter, cares...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I'm sure your impression is correct. This is a sad situation, since most of us are streaming. And buying a BluRay disc, 'physical media', in a streaming world, would seem to be absurd decision. But, the streaming services are not honest, I think, about their data. It will only get worse as the streaming services further eliminate physical media, with their 'fakes'. And no one, in any numbers that matter, cares...
Buying a disc is the way to go still, has been all along.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
For me, living in Poland, and using a VPN, Netflix registers on my Marantz as Atmos sound, but the picture is anything but 4K (let alone Atmos) quality. The only dependable high quality streaming is via Apple, great picture and sound. I think most providers, especially Netflix, are cheating on sound (reduced dynamics and detail, but all the channels are there) and vision, all of them. And we cannot quantitatively detect this cheat. My old BluRays, for example, the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy offer sound, with dynamics and detail, beyond anything Netflix provides with 'Atmos'.
Sound & pic from a a disc is always better than streaming . Have you tried the Sony Bravia streaming? is very good compare to MAX & Netflix . I bought the Lawrence of Arabia from Sony Bravia Pure Stream It beats iTunes pic Quality plus you get DTS audio via streaming . I was introduced to Sony Bravia when bought my Sony OLED TV.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
The content on Netflix is unwatchable & they don't stream old movies in 4k or Dolby Vision. My friend give me his Netflix logon . I like a few car shows I watch plus the tumber dude that cuts wood in Canada with his family but their new episodes too far n between.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The content on Netflix is unwatchable & they don't stream old movies in 4k or Dolby Vision. My friend give me his Netflix logon . I like a few car shows I watch plus the tumber dude that cuts wood in Canada with his family but their new episodes too far n between.
Yeah, I am not that impressed with the quality of streaming services I have (Netflix, Max, Disney+ and Amazon Video). Quite often there are banding artifacts with scenes that are somewhat “monochromatic”, like dark scenes or even sunsets. Sound is typically much better on Blu-ray as well.

But here we are with limited or nonexistent Blu-ray rental options.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Sound & pic from a a disc is always better than streaming . Have you tried the Sony Bravia streaming? is very good compare to MAX & Netflix . I bought the Lawrence of Arabia from Sony Bravia Pure Stream It beats iTunes pic Quality plus you get DTS audio via streaming . I was introduced to Sony Bravia when bought my Sony OLED TV.
No haven't tried Sony Bravia Pure Stream. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try...

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
Apple TV 4K box will work best with Apple streaming services and pretty well with other streaming services. Video and audio quality should be the same as with Google native apps if set up correctly. Some Google apps, like Netflix, could have additional features like calibrated mode on Sony. Also Apple TV will match the frame rate and dynamic range of content but not the resolution so you might need to set resolution manually when switching from HD to 4K if you want display to do the upscaling (which Sony should do marginally better).

I really like Apples simple and effective remote. Perhaps worth waiting for new Apple TV gen though. Probably not too many upgrades but new chip will for sure be snappier. Rumours were it would come out in June, but it did not. Perhaps September?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis