Apple TV Netflix app quality a bit meh.

strongj

strongj

Audiophyte
Here in Sydney Australia I use my Apple TV to view most content, using the Netflix and Disney apps mostly. The other day, I finished watching a Blu-ray with a DTS soundtrack, which was fantastic. When I switched to the Apple TV, the dynamics vanished. Does anyone here know what the compression is used by these companies? They claim HD video with 5.1 sound. The Apple TV is ending its signal to the Marantz AV7701, maybe an issue there?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What codec/format was the stream? May have been a different mix than the blu-ray....

strongj

strongj

Audiophyte
What codec/format was the stream? May have been a different mix than the blu-ray....
The Apple TV only output multi channel signals, the blu ray was DTS master, so I do know there is difference, but it was quite different in my system. Although using Plex, the movies I’ve ripped sound great.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Apple TV only output multi channel signals, the blu ray was DTS master, so I do know there is difference, but it was quite different in my system. Although using Plex, the movies I’ve ripped sound great.
But what were the two particular codecs? On the bluray it seems it was DTS:X? What was it on the stream? DD 2.0 or 5.1?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello, and welcome. Like every other streaming device, the Apple TV 4K delivers Dolby Digital + 7.1 with atmos metadata in a best case scenario. If audio is set to best available, Apple will convert the track to PCM and atmos metadata can be turned ON or OFF. Converting audio in settings will result in Dolby Digital 5.1 being sent out instead. While atmos tracks sound fine streamed, they do not compare to the same title on disc. If one does not have atmos processing available, I'm sure more is lost still with object placement cut out of the mix. DTS disc tracks are coming in hot these days with "Tenet" having the most overblown mix. "Wrath of Man" had a powerful presentation as well.

strongj

strongj

Audiophyte
Hey Trebdp83, thanks for the reply. It might be time to upgrade the Apple TV now. I have an older model, Apple TV HD I think. This unit will let me convert the audio to DD5.1, other than that it’s Auto from memory. I was using a Star Wars BluRay as a demo which has a great DTS sound track. The Pod race scene especially.

J

jeffrey1gardner

Audiophyte
I don't know. I just want a TYT app for Apple TV that has every show and that I can subscribe to through iTunes...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis