Apple TV 4K questions

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Hello everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. I have had a busy summer. Last 6 months I’ve been building a new shop. Haven’t had any free time to play with the new home theater.

I have a question about an Apple TV 4K. I currently have only been using the apps built into my Samsung QLED.

First question - Does the Apple TV 4k allow me
to use Amazon Prime? If so, will it also allow me to watch Amazon in 4K and Dolby Atmos when available? I want to be able to watch Amazon Prime in 4K on my 7.2.4

Does Apple TV 4K allow me to use YouTube in 4K? I saw a video on the Apple TV 4K and they said it will not allow YouTube in 4K because it doesn’t support the proper codec.

I’m trying to determine what device will best suit my needs for 4K atmos. My wife and I currently watch a lot of Amazon Prime.

I appreciate any advice and suggestions

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are three generations of Apple TV 4k. Youtube 4k should work on the second-gen (2021) or newer Apple TV 4k. It should also work for Amazon Prime 4k streaming.

C

cyclo

Audiophyte
Hello everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. I have had a busy summer. Last 6 months I’ve been building a new shop. Haven’t had any free time to play with the new home theater.

I have a question about an Apple TV 4K. I currently have only been using the apps built into my Samsung QLED.

First question - Does the Apple TV 4k allow me
to use Amazon Prime? If so, will it also allow me to watch Amazon in 4K and Dolby Atmos when available? I want to be able to watch Amazon Prime in 4K on my 7.2.4

Does Apple TV 4K allow me to use YouTube in 4K? I saw a video on the Apple TV 4K and they said it will not allow YouTube in 4K because it doesn’t support the proper codec.

I’m trying to determine what device will best suit my needs for 4K atmos. My wife and I currently watch a lot of Amazon Prime.

I appreciate any advice and suggestions
I have an Apple TV 4K Gen 3 and I have Amazon Prime on it. If the show supports it, you can have both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Example is Season 2 of Reacher. However, most of the shows I watch on Prime are HDR and Dolby Digital surround.

I mostly watch youtube videos on my PC and phone but not via Apple TV because I hate ads. But there is a youtube app for Apple TV. Netfilx (premium subscription), Apple TV+ and Disney + all have plenty of shows with both Dolby Vision and Atmos. If you have a fast enough internet connection, the streaming video and sound quality is very good... Very hard to distinguish from physical 4K blu-ray discs that I play on my Sony X800M2 blu-ray player.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Are you still connected to the internet using a modem?
Everybody connects to the internet via a modem, dumbass...go over to Reddit, where you'll fit right in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Everybody connects to the internet via a modem, dumbass...go over to Reddit, where you'll fit right in.
My phone has a modem?

ps Yes it does apparently, altho they usually are just called baseband processors or radios.....

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I thought the "dial-up" modem part was implied. Showing my age I guess. I still have a US Robotics 56k modem in storage in case we ever move to the country but I'll be damned if I know whether any carrier still supports dial-up. :D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I thought the "dial-up" modem part was implied. Showing my age I guess. I still have a US Robotics 56k modem in storage in case we ever move to the country but I'll be damned if I know whether any carrier still supports dial-up. :D
56K? You call that old????? If you don't have a 1200 BAUD modem, I can't even consider yours to be old.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
56K? You call that old????? If you don't have a 1200 BAUD modem, I can't even consider yours to be old.
Well, I had a U-Call modem interface for my Atari 800XL and a SmartTeam 1200 baud modem. I was thrilled when I learned that I could use Kermit to upload assignments to the Engineering main frame at university and not have to trudge through the snow to hand in a paper copy. That was cutting edge in the 80's. :cool:

The USR 56k that I have was the best 56k modem on the market and marked the pinnacle of dial-up. Not that I ever want to go back to those days. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I had a U-Call modem interface for my Atari 800XL and a SmartTeam 1200 baud modem. I was thrilled when I learned that I could use Kermit to upload assignments to the Engineering main frame at university and not have to trudge through the snow to hand in a paper copy. That was cutting edge in the 80's. :cool:

The USR 56k that I have was the best 56k modem on the market and marked the pinnacle of dial-up. Not that I ever want to go back to those days. :D
Makes me think of looking back fondly at an old ford T bucket, and being damn glad for the pickup that’s in my garage! Lol
This thread is turning poignant for me as I’m currently watching the creator. Scary stuff…

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Stop being disingenuous, he's talking about a dial-up. So answer the question, are you still using one :)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Stop being disingenuous, he's talking about a dial-up. So answer the question, are you still using one :)
Lets see...I did around 400 gigs since yesterday (slow winter days)....so on dial-up that would take ??
Just found out one gig via dial-up takes around 16 days continuous.:eek:
So roughly two years !!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My 1st Commodore 64 Modem accessing Compuserve was 300 Baud. That did not last long upgraded to blazing fast 1200. <--Not quite old as dirt, got my C64 in 4th grade. Was fast enough to download games from BBS(s). Early Pirate Captain lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis