R

Rylan

Audioholic
I just purchased an Apple 4K 128GB with Ethernet. I want to make sure I connect things correctly to achieve the best quality sound and picture. I have the Denon X4700H, an 85” Samsung QLED Q70A tv, and a 7.2.4 setup.

I want to connect the Apple TV with Ethernet, and want to know should I run the Apple TV through the receiver? I’ve never used an external streaming device and have always just used the apps on the tv. I keep reading I need the Apple TV 4K to be able to stream better resolution than what the built in Samsung apps are able to do. This might seem like a basic question, but I just want to make sure I get it connected for optimal results. I plan to also watch Genes video below on what settings to change in the AppleTV.

Any tips are appreciated!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You will not have an issue connecting it directly to the receiver. There are potential issues with audio getting back to the receiver when connecting a device directly to the TV using eARC.

Keep in mind that when using a device connected directly to the TV, the receiver’s on screen display will be unavailable while using it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I gave up on tv based apps due issues long ago....eARC has fixed some, but still see no reason to use a tv as a receiver.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Thank you. I connected the Apple TV to HDMI #4 (media player) and it looks good.
I have my TV eARC connected to the receivers eARC. Assuming this is accurate

I followed Genes instructions and made these changes on the Apple TV settings:
Format: 4K SDR 60Hz
HDMI Output: YCbCr
Chroma: 4:4:4
Match Content: Dynamic Range and Frame Rate - On
Audio: Change Format Off ; Dolby Atmos On

I’m also curious if if there is a good link to setting up my tv settings to display the best as well. Maybe someone knows a video Gene had done on tv settings

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m over the “Creator’s intent” crap. As if everything being produced is 100% of what it was meant to be and those involved dreamed of it being streamed to a TV using lossy and compressed audio and video codecs.:rolleyes:

Everybody should tweak to their liking. I hate video drop outs due to changes from SDR to HDR and 24Hz to 60Hz. My TV is in PC mode for proper 4:4:4 color and limiting of picture processing that only results in lag. My Apple TV 4K outputs Dolby Vision RGB 8bit @60Hz ALL of the time and I don’t give a f#%k.:cool:

You do you. Just don’t do Vivid mode.:eek:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed with going through the AVR. My ATV4k goes through my Marantz and 7.3.4 system. If you want to calibrate the display, the “Spears and Munsil” disks are great. Every display needs its own set of tweaks unique to that unit so using an arbitrary set based on someone else’s display is worthless.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Agreed with going through the AVR. My ATV4k goes through my Marantz and 7.3.4 system. If you want to calibrate the display, the “Spears and Munsil” disks are great. Every display needs its own set of tweaks unique to that unit so using an arbitrary set based on someone else’s display is worthless.
Thank you for the recommendation. This is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered the Spears and Munsil disc set.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis