Apparently I've Been Subscribed to Audible...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For a while now and didn't realize it. I think I signed up for a trial and forgot all about it. So I saw the charge on my cc yesterday and proceeded to the site and canceled my sub. Well... apparently I've accumulated a dozen credits and can use them still. Each credit is good for any book.

Growing up I was an avid reader. I used to devour books. Somewhere along the way I just kinda stopped reading full length novels. I think a lot of that had to do with better video games and the advent of the internet. I still read a lot but almost all online at forums or researching stuff. I loved the Dune books, LOTR, a bunch of Stephen King and Dean Koontz, and more I don't even remember.

Anyway, I wanna use my credits. I almost got the Dune series again last night because it's been over 30 years since I've read those books. I know I could get into them again, but I've already read them. So... any good sci fi fantasy books out there written in the last 30 years? I'm really out of the loop now. Game of Thrones interests me, but I keep seeing that the author doesn't seem to want to finish the series and it's been stagnating for quite a while now.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For a while now and didn't realize it. I think I signed up for a trial and forgot all about it. So I saw the charge on my cc yesterday and proceeded to the site and canceled my sub. Well... apparently I've accumulated a dozen credits and can use them still. Each credit is good for any book.

Growing up I was an avid reader. I used to devour books. Somewhere along the way I just kinda stopped reading full length novels. I think a lot of that had to do with better video games and the advent of the internet. I still read a lot but almost all online at forums or researching stuff. I loved the Dune books, LOTR, a bunch of Stephen King and Dean Koontz, and more I don't even remember.

Anyway, I wanna use my credits. I almost got the Dune series again last night because it's been over 30 years since I've read those books. I know I could get into them again, but I've already read them. So... any good sci fi fantasy books out there written in the last 30 years? I'm really out of the loop now. Game of Thrones interests me, but I keep seeing that the author doesn't seem to want to finish the series and it's been stagnating for quite a while now.
Check out the Steven Eriikson series Malazan Book Of The Fallen (starting with Gardens of the Moon). Epic Fantasy, good story and characters.
That first novel was conceived as a screenplay: the rest are much longer and more literary.
He and another guy write books in this universe, which was created as a GURPS campaign. Pretty amazing what they turned it into, especially Erikson's novels.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sanderson is a good author. My only experience with his work was his efforts finishing the Wheel Of Time series after RJ passed.
The Mistborn series is often highly recommended.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, Mistborn looks like it might be up my alley. I'll give that a look for sure. When I was a kid my mom had a novel in her room called "The White Dragon". The pic on the cover was of a white dragon and I always thought it looked so cool but the book was so thick and intimidating. As I grew older I finally decided to try and read it. Loved it. That was my first adult book and it introduced me to the Dragon Riders of Pern books. Those were really good too. I'm tryna remember who the author was... Anne McCaffrey!

R-4647546-1371052343-1445.jpeg.jpg

Man, seeing it again really hits me in the nostalgia feelers...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I never read the McCaffrey books, but they were always on my radar. I read all the Dragonlance books I could get my hands on in college (Thanks Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman!), as well as all of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I don't know how well either of them have stood the test of time, but the Sword of Truth series is something like 20 books now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I never read the McCaffrey books, but they were always on my radar. I read all the Dragonlance books I could get my hands on in college (Thanks Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman!), as well as all of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I don't know how well either of them have stood the test of time, but the Sword of Truth series is something like 20 books now.
I started with The White Dragon then found the first in the series and read them all. I think I was 8 or 9 when I started reading them. I can remember being quite proud of myself for reading those big novels at such a young age. At that time I was coming off of Disney read along, comics and those Big Little books. I grew up in the sticks and there wasn't anything else to do! We had 3 crappy tv stations and video games weren't much of a thing so I read a lot.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I started with The White Dragon then found the first in the series and read them all. I think I was 8 or 9 when I started reading them. I can remember being quite proud of myself for reading those big novels at such a young age. At that time I was coming off of Disney read along, comics and those Big Little books. I grew up in the sticks and there wasn't anything else to do! We had 3 crappy tv stations and video games weren't much of a thing so I read a lot.
My mom got me the first dragonlance book from a yard sale when I was in high school and the rest was history. LOL

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... I used to devour books. ....
How did they taste? ;)

Really, that is great. The last sets I read were the Outlander series, 1000 pages in paperback. Eight of them. No, I didn't devour them :) but they kept my interest.
The 9th book is coming later this year.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My foray into high fantasy did not start with Tolkien. I suspect if Hobbit was a better read it may have... alas it was a dreadful way to be introduced to his world.
For me, it was Robert Jordan and the Wheel Of Time series. The guys in my old band were into it. When I bought the first book, #7 had just been released. Good series. Quirky. But highly enjoyable.
A good friend passed the first Erikson book on to me and I was completely enthralled. I think the fact he wrote it with a screenplay in mind made for an exciting read. The following books ballooned to over 1000pgs by the time he was wrapping the main story. His colleague picked up and started writing some interesting side stories that helped flush out the universe even more.
In terms of High Fantasy with an epic scope... I have not read better than the Malazan books. My appreciation only deepened when I learned it was all based on role playing! I used to be an avid gamer, enjoying Vampire in the White Wolf canon and then D&D around the time they rewrote it all as v.3 or whatever. (All the gaming started with the same crew from my band, too.)

Audible was a great way for me to get my literary rocks off. It got to the point where I couldn't read more than a few pages before falling asleep, back when I was in Kitchens. Even after... I would need to be on vacation and sleeping through two days before I could sit and read... and then I could pound through a novel pretty quickly, but taking naps in Hawaii isn't a very sustainable method for reading! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried Audible a few months back, and just didn't care for it, could partially have been choices I tried (The Hobbit and something else I don't recall, and the narrator of The Hobbit just didn't "fit" to me). If I'm going to concentrate on a book I'd rather do it in print and with some music playing and a nice drink at hand rather than just sitting there listening, and doing something that requires a fair amount of concentration while listening would just compete with it. What are you typically "doing" when listening to books being read to you? I don't spend much time driving these days, altho I could perhaps see that as a viable thing to do on long solo drives like I used to do on my way to epic mountain biking locations.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried Audible a few months back, and just didn't care for it, could partially have been choices I tried (The Hobbit and something else I don't recall, and the narrator of The Hobbit just didn't "fit" to me). If I'm going to concentrate on a book I'd rather do it in print and with some music playing and a nice drink at hand rather than just sitting there listening, and doing something that requires a fair amount of concentration while listening would just compete with it. What are you typically "doing" when listening to books being read to you? I don't spend much time driving these days, altho I could perhaps see that as a viable thing to do on long solo drives like I used to do on my way to epic mountain biking locations.
I do a lot of driving in the mornings. Been listening to podcasts and call in shows mostly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I did get the LOTR trilogy and went all in on Sanderson and Erikson with my remaining 9 credits. Looking forward to checking out some new stuff! Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis