Apartment layout advice

gamegenieny

gamegenieny

Audiophyte
Sorry for the crude drawings but it was the best i could do atm.

Moving to a new apartment in August and as the pictures show I'm trying to nail down the best layout possible.The room itself has one opening, at the bottom left of the pics. The room is 17 feet and 5 inches long by 13 feet wide and 8 feet high. I plan to have 2 subs and place them using the Harman room mode caculator as a starting point.

Because of that opening (bottom left of the pictures) I've been considering using the second picture. It would be place the TV a few feet from the top (not as far as it appears in the drawing) since there are windows there and the couch/chairs would be near the bottom a few feet from the wall. Not sure if that layout is better for the front sound stage by avoiding placing a front speaker near the opening and also using the room mode calculator for sub placement but thats why I'm here looking for any and all advice on such things :)

The picture with the TV based on the left would be something I'd like feedback on especially, as my wife may want that one. Would I be able to set up that way and still place subs based on the Harman room mode calculations ? I Personally am leaning towards the first layout with the TV at the bottom near the opening, but that would possibly have the right front speaker near the opening and with toe in on the main listening position, would have the back of the speaker facing the opening. Pretty sure that WOULD effect sound a bit but again, thats why I'm hoping for any and all input so I'm not rearranging my layout 3+ times. Thanks in advance !

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’d go with sideways, with the sub in the right corner.

There are many benefits.

The surround speakers will be some distance from the seating, which always sounds better than rear speakers too close.

The sofa will be close to a wall, which will result in bass levels being perceived as louder than they would at the other options. The other options have the seat basically center of the room, which is the worst location for bass. The center of any room is kind of a “bass hole,” and bass levels increase as you move from there towards any boundary.

In addition, bass levels will be more uniform in all seats on the sofa compared to the other arrangements.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gamegenieny

gamegenieny

Audiophyte
I’d go with sideways, with the sub in the right corner.

There are many benefits.

The surround speakers will be some distance from the seating, which always sounds better than rear speakers too close.

The sofa will be close to a wall, which will result in bass levels being perceived as louder than they would at the other options. The other options have the seat basically center of the room, which is the worst location for bass. The center of any room is kind of a “bass hole,” and bass levels increase as you move from there towards any boundary.

In addition, bass levels will be more uniform in all seats on the sofa compared to the other arrangements.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Sorry for the late reply but packing has been all I've done for days now! That idea seems solid if I use the side set up. I'm hoping for the long way but I have to make sure everyone in my place is on board with it. Thanks for the input !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis