Anyone tried cable modding Grado headphones?

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
So, I've basically had it with my Grado SR-125 headphones. I love their sound, but their usability and comfort seem to have been designed by someone who was trying to achieve the level of torture device and succeeded.

The cables are constantly getting bound up and have been tangled and untangled so many times they have developed a short if I move around to much (or basically at all really). I'm very interested in doing something like this, but I really don't have the tools, time or know how to get it done without driving myself even crazier. Anyone know how difficult this actually is?

Even more unlikely, anyone with some skills interested in doing this (all expenses paid of course) as a learning experience + a little something extra for your time?

I feel like I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place here as I don't want to replace the headphones, but if I keep going with them like this I am going to toss them into the damn SF bay (which is conveniently located 30 yards or so from my house). Best case scenario is I *might* be able to sell them, but I would feel bad about selling someone something that doesn't work properly.

Open to any advice/ideas or just people that want to rant along with me about their phones :)

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I might be willing to give this a go. I'll give the video a closer look tomorrow (only spot checked it so far). I've got the equipment and a general enjoyment in tinkering.

For my modification background highlight:modded original xbox, no easy feat requiring soldering cables directly to the mainboard after a complete teardown. This looks a bit easier.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So, I've basically had it with my Grado SR-125 headphones. I love their sound, but their usability and comfort seem to have been designed by someone who was trying to achieve the level of torture device and succeeded.

The cables are constantly getting bound up and have been tangled and untangled so many times they have developed a short if I move around to much (or basically at all really). I'm very interested in doing something like this, but I really don't have the tools, time or know how to get it done without driving myself even crazier. Anyone know how difficult this actually is?

Even more unlikely, anyone with some skills interested in doing this (all expenses paid of course) as a learning experience + a little something extra for your time?

I feel like I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place here as I don't want to replace the headphones, but if I keep going with them like this I am going to toss them into the damn SF bay (which is conveniently located 30 yards or so from my house). Best case scenario is I *might* be able to sell them, but I would feel bad about selling someone something that doesn't work properly.

Open to any advice/ideas or just people that want to rant along with me about their phones :)
That does not look difficult at all. I would be happy to do it for you.

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
You guys are truly awesome. When I have some free time later this week, I'll throw out some PMs to figure out particulars of who wants to do what etc. Really made my morning :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis