Anyone here have a Panasonic microwave?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Does it still work? :mad:

I bought a Panasonic NN-T995SF microwave last June. It was their top of the line model and it uses an inverter to step down the power for different levels. I had been very happy with it. It cooked better than any microwave I'd used and I really liked the control knob (instead of buttons) to adjust the cook time and choose settings.

Anyway, this morning, when company is on their way, the microwave decided to shut off partway through the set time without beeping or anything. Now it doesn't stay on for more than one second regardless of the power level.

I did a bit of research on Google and discovered that I'm not the only one who had this problem. The internet theory is that they used too high gauge wire in the inverter and it overheats and arcs. It's still under warranty but I'm afraid if I get it fixed that it will do the same thing again. This is not how a $250 microwave is supposed to behave. The previous microwave, an Amana Radarange, lasted exactly 30 years. I bought the Panasonic because I have never had any problems with any of their products and they always seem to put quality first. Now I'm very annoyed (to put it lightly) that I have no microwave on Easter Sunday when 12 people are coming for dinner.

Has anyone else had a problem with a Panasonic microwave (particularly an inverter model)?

Last edited:

Senior Audioholic
I did a bit of research on Google and discovered that I'm not the only one who had this problem. The internet theory is that they used too high gauge wire in the inverter and it overheats and arcs. It's still under warranty but I'm afraid if I get it fixed that it will do the same thing again.
We have a Panasonic microwave, I am not sure if it is an "inverter" model. It has to be going on ten years old now. Seems to work "ok" still cooks food. Sometimes it does not shut off. The microwave cooker part stops but the light and fan stay on. Sometime I can hear arcing inside... Time to get a new one I am thinking a nice one that has an integrated browning element.

Anyway the theory is flawed or mis quoted because too large of gauge wire would not over heat and arc, but too small of wire gauge could.

If this is a common warranty failure, they might have a good fix for it using the proper wire size. Besides if its a free fix then why not?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Anyway the theory is flawed or mis quoted because too large of gauge wire would not over heat and arc, but too small of wire gauge could.
Higher gauge means smaller wire.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I had a Panasonic counter-top microwave that sounds similar. It came with my house. It never had any problems with arcing or shutting down.

I gave it away to buy an above range microwave (GE). The GE died in ONE DAY. The problem was that the fan comes off and therefore stops spinning and the heat sensor shuts the unit down. I was told it is a fairly common problem across all brands. They wanted to repair it but I said I want a new one because it is only one day old and the new one hasn't had any problems.

If the Panasonic is less than a year old, it should still be under warranty. The problem is probably a simple one like the fan failure on my GE.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Bummer that it happened on Easter Hi Ho. Sorry. :(

I have had a couple of Panasonic microwaves. They are more powerful than your average mw and the inverter technology is wonderful.

I don't know the specific failure mode, but I had likely the same thing as what happen to yours happen to my 6 month old, similar model. I just took it back to Costco and got my money back. Another local membership store (Bi-Mart) had a slightly older model Panasonic with 50 less watts. It does not have the control knob that you like (I didn't). It was being closed out. I got if for $50 less and it has been working like a champ ever since.

Perhaps it is just a problem with that one model.

Good luck.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Well this microwave emitted a slight burning plastic smell from day one. I figured it was just new microwave smell but after several months, when it still emitted that smell, I began to wonder but didn't think much of it. Now I'm thinking that smell was probably the inverter coil slowly baking.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Well this microwave emitted a slight burning plastic smell from day one. I figured it was just new microwave smell but after several months, when it still emitted that smell, I began to wonder but didn't think much of it. Now I'm thinking that smell was probably the inverter coil slowly baking.
Mine did not emit an odor until it died. Then it got very hot and let loose with that unmistakable burnt electronics smell. :eek: It does sound as though yours was heating up undersized wire, doesn't it?!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
If the Panasonic is less than a year old, it should still be under warranty. The problem is probably a simple one like the fan failure on my GE.
I'm thinking Hi Ho was concerned not with the warranty status, but the fact that it seems to be a major design flaw - he could easily get it repaired/replaced, but will suffer the same exact problem again in the near future.

Still, I'd give it at least one shot - return it for a new unit, and if the same thing happens again, get a full refund or at least store credit towards another model/brand altogether.

Damn bad timing though - Easter Sunday. Hope everything worked out for you. :)

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Cooking dinner for twelve for Easter in a microwave :confused: Ugh, glad I ate at home ;)

The problem in returning something like that under warranty is going to be the shipping and the PITA of boxing the thing up. You'd think that after two or three decades using the technology they'd have figured out how to make one last a while.........course, then they couldn't sell as many new ones I guess.

Mort

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I can't remember the brand on my microwave. What I do know is that I can use it at most once per day. Attempting to use it twice in a day will throw a breaker, every time. Full power is the only option, because a lower setting makes it cycle on and off, which throws the breaker.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I can't remember the brand on my microwave. What I do know is that I can use it at most once per day. Attempting to use it twice in a day will throw a breaker, every time. Full power is the only option, because a lower setting makes it cycle on and off, which throws the breaker.
That sounds like a house electrical issue rather than an issue with your microwave. I think you're simply overloading a circuit.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
That sounds like a house electrical issue rather than an issue with your microwave. I think you're simply overloading a circuit.
When it first started happening, I had maintenance come and check out the electrical system. They couldn't find anything wrong, but replaced the outlet as a precaution. It didn't help.
(I also tried it in other rooms. It throws whichever breaker it happens to be on.)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...I gave it away to buy an above range microwave (GE). The GE died in ONE DAY. .
I have a GE now for about 14 years, no problems to speak of. Certainly not your kind. Temp probe failed, too many bending:D That was an interesting troubleshooting affair. Thought the circuit board was going bad; went erratic with the probe. Probes are expensive from GE so a local store just gave me one.:D
then, I think I had a door interlock switch go. Still ticking. I will rename it Timex pretty soon:D

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Cooking dinner for twelve for Easter in a microwave Ugh, glad I ate at home
Certain processes are much faster/easier done in a microwave. Definetly not the main course (ham). ;)

I don't have to worry about shipping it because there is a service center in town (local mom/pop shop). They weren't open today but I hear they may be months backlogged. If that's the case my boss said I could take it in where I work. The only thing I'm really worried about is that I don't want it to die again quickly. It's very possible that all of the complaints I found online were by the discruntled xx% that got defective ones like me. I'll see how it goes.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I took it to the service place today and the guy said they have not had any more repairs on Panasonic than normal. He said they're actually among the most reliable brands. He also said the burning plastic smell definetely wasn't normal and that it was probably defective from day one. I'm much more confident now that it won't break again any time soon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis