Anyone heard of "Kingsound" electrostatic loudspeakers?

richardlai

richardlai

Audiophyte
Has anyone heard of the company "King's Audio" of China? I came across some reviews about their "Kingsound" "King" electrostatic loudspeakers and they seem to perform quite well and cost much less than most other ESLs (see the bottom of this: http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20060201.htm ). Apparently they appeared in last year's CES in Las Vegas. Did anyone see them? Were they any good?

UPDATE: this is their official website: http://www.kingsaudio.com.hk/

Last edited:
K

kgb540

Audioholic
They look like interesting speakers. Electrostats arent my cup-o-tea but the reviewer seemes to like them.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I would not ignore them. I've never heard an ESL I didn't like. I've owned ESL's since 1983. Prior to that it was Magneplanars from 1976. Before the Maggys I had boxes. Yuck!!!:D

T

Tawnos

Banned
Martin logan also produces a lot of their stuff in china, stay away from ESL speakers!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Tawnos said:
Martin logan also produces a lot of their stuff in china, stay away from ESL speakers!
I am going to jump off a bridge, that really blows...actually..."That, ladies and gentlemen, is what grinds my gears"

K

kgb540

Audioholic
A good deal of the current crop of audio/video is being built, or have some roots in China or the far East. That's pretty common knowledge by now. It doesnt mean they are an inferior build or design at all. I wish all American companies products were built in the USA too, but thats just not the case in todays world. I would actually like to know what the big hang up is with the items being built in the far East? It has been done for years and years now.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Isn't Denon (a Japanese company)'s almighty 5910ci $3800 DVD player built on an assembly-line in mainland China? Whats with the all the zhong-gua hatin'?

B

Bee-Man

Audioholic Intern
Agree with Seth.... the west is predominately service ...

i travel to China frequently, and must admit that what is made in China is made they way it is intended....whether it be cheap or someone more costly.....

Most components are from China these days, and more assembly plants are getting set up each year. It is quite staggering and matches the US on scale.

Having said that - exporting industry will eventually come back and bite us in the you know what....but that is a very different argument for a different time...

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Tawnos said:
What's your problem with ESL's?:confused:

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
All my speaker cabinets are made in China and they are drop dead gorgeous.

T

Tawnos

Banned
What's your problem with ESL's?
Ok stay away from martin logans!

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what grinds my gears"A good deal of the current crop of
They move their product build to china to save money but then they do not lower the price any because they can now make a bigger profit.

audio/video is being built, or have some roots in China or the far East. That's pretty common knowledge by now. It doesnt mean they are an inferior build or design at all. I wish all American companies products were built in the USA too, but thats just not the case in todays world. I would actually like to know what the big hang up is with the items being built in the far East? It has been done for years and years now.
I do not care if it is built in china but the price should reflect where it is build. Mcintosh is built in america and you pay for it.

C

cstpeter

Audioholic Intern
To follow up on Joe's question, what's wrong with Martin Logans?

T

Tawnos

Banned
To follow up on Joe's question, what's wrong with Martin Logans?
Low power handling, play some marilyn manson greatest hits at or near the ratted power output and you will start to blow out high voltage boards and power supplies very easy. The ESL panels crap out every 2-3 years on most of them and they require constant upkeep to sound best. This includes vacuuming, washing, keeping them covered, you can not just sit down and play the speakers. If you like playing classical music at low volume levels and fussing with your speakers before playing them each time then try them out.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
While never having owned any Martin Logans I do currently own 2 pair of Acoustat's. The only maintenance they have required in the 9 years I've owned the fronts (Spectra 22's) and 6 years the rears (Model 1's) is a vacuuming semi annually and a treatment with a hair dryer at the same time. The hair dryer causes the diaphragm to tighten up. The Spectra's were the third pair of Acoustats I have purchased. I have never had a problem with any of them. I called the factory years ago with a question and was told they had never had a report of a panel failure.:D

C

cstpeter

Audioholic Intern
Tawnos said:
Low power handling, play some marilyn manson greatest hits at or near the ratted power output and you will start to blow out high voltage boards and power supplies very easy. The ESL panels crap out every 2-3 years on most of them and they require constant upkeep to sound best. This includes vacuuming, washing, keeping them covered, you can not just sit down and play the speakers. If you like playing classical music at low volume levels and fussing with your speakers before playing them each time then try them out.
Not true Tawnos. Not sure if you've owned a pair of Martin Logans, but I have. While they do require sufficient amplification to sound their best (as most speakers do), they don't "blow out high voltage boards and power supplies very easy." And it's ridiculous to suggest the ESL panels "crap out" every 2-3 years...not sure where you're getting your info. Yep, they should be vacuumed a couple times a year, but this is a small inconvenience for the transparency, detail, quickness, and overall tonality a nice pair of Logans provide.

It's one thing if Martin Logan isn't your cup of tea, but don't be hatin' based on misinformation!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Dang!!!just when I was getting a pair of M-Ls for my 2.0 syst.

I owned Acoustats (sold them recently to a good friend)they're excellent, I never had a problem with them, and as for vacuming them: no big deal.

Once you go ESL you'll never go back (2.0);)

T

Tawnos

Banned
Not true Tawnos. Not sure if you've owned a pair of Martin Logans, but I have. While they do require sufficient amplification to sound their best (as most speakers do), they don't "blow out high voltage boards and power supplies very easy." And it's ridiculous to suggest the ESL panels "crap out" every 2-3 years...not sure where you're getting your info. Yep, they should be vacuumed a couple times a year, but this is a small inconvenience for the transparency, detail, quickness, and overall tonality a nice pair of Logans provide.

It's one thing if Martin Logan isn't your cup of tea, but don't be hatin' based on misinformation!
The older ML's were ok but once the company started to cheap out on its parts like the prodigy, ascent, aeon series they became unreliable. Most people do not realize how bad their panels have decreased until you hear other speakers in your room or replace the panels. That is the main problem, over time the panels decrease every time you play them. I would hate to hook up the new designs to a good 500 watt amp and see the speaker start to smoke.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis