Anyone go from a signal to a Dual VTF-2 MK5 or VTF-3 MK5 HP?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The addiction will continue. ;)

You pretty much just nailed the description of Bad Bass and LF Distortion in that sentence.

I'm glad you found a great sub and are happy with it!
Good bass is worth the investment! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe its a good thing you didn't play with the duals too much, you might have ordered two ultras ? :) Are you measuring response or doing it all by ear?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So, I finally settled and am done. I think I may have an obsession or am now addicted, but I started off saving money and just getting a Black Friday deal of 2 definitive Tech 2000 subs for $300 each, and then I got 2 SVS PB2000's, and then got the PB4000, but then found a great deal for a new SVS 16 Ultra for around the same price as the 4000 so got the Ultra.

This may sound insane, but I'm new to subs, and have to say, I stuck with the Ultra 16. I thought I would be saving money, but realized, you get what you pay for. The 4000 was a very close contender, and would have kept it even after the 16 test, but considering it was around the same price, I kept the 16.

For my room size, the 16 and the 4000 completely filled the room, both are smooth and effortlessly spread oxygen molecules into your body and walls, you can feel the air hit you, it is truly an amazing experience that the Def Tech 2000 and older Super Cube could not do. The Def Techs I still think sound good, but they are just loud, and do create the Bam I like, but it was just noisy and not once have I felt the air molecules hit my body with them.

The PB2000's were good, but they just didn't push enough air. They are very clean though and do deliver a nice sound, but I wasn't blown away and they didn't come close to the 4000 or 16. I perhaps am being biased as I didn't really mess around with the dual PB2000's as I played around with them a little, and then just went to the 4000 and didn't turn back after this. Perhaps I'd be happier with the 2000's, but once I had an amount of air surround my by body I was sold. I don't know much about subs, so perhaps if I knew how to and what to do, I would have more tests, but it's over now and am really happy.

This was a long experience, but I learned first hand what good bass sounds like, and just wanted to share this with anyone that maybe considering these subs.

I really wanted to go with HSU, but went with SVS due to the fact that they were easy returns, although more money, in the end, I knew if I choose HSU, and if not satisfied, I knew I'd be out of money with the returns, and with SVS I could decide to just get a full refund.

Thank you too anyone who chimed in, I appreciated your time. I couldn't be more pleased, and eventually upgraded my theater with a 7.1.4 receiver and got height speakers.
There really is nothing like a good home theater. Better late then never, but anyone consider upgrading, do it if you can. The 7.1.4 was a nice upgrade as well, but the major upgrade in the sub blows away anything I have done or experienced in my home audio experience, and as of now with the limited experiences I have, I would take a great sub over speakers any day. I was majorly impressed once I went with surround backs, but a good sub is favored more if I had to choose.Or maybe, if the addiction continues, someone will have to recommend a great center and front speakers that would blow me away. Or maybe, don't. :)
I might redirect some doubters to this post in the future...

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Has anyone heard if hsu is coming out with a new sub soon? Im looking at buying 2 vtf3s but would like to know if i should wait??

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Has anyone heard if hsu is coming out with a new sub soon? Im looking at buying 2 vtf3s but would like to know if i should wait??
There was a sealed dual 15" coming out, but production is being held up for the moment. Hopefully we will see its release sometime in 2020.

T

tchest77

Enthusiast
Maybe its a good thing you didn't play with the duals too much, you might have ordered two ultras ? :) Are you measuring response or doing it all by ear?
Doing it all by ear. Really, I'm not that knowledgeable with speakers, subs, ect, but, it just sounded and felt better to stay with the Ultra. It is a monster, but, it was worth it to me. The PB4000 was awesome as well, but I got the Ultra for around the same price so took the big guy. I would be just as pleased with the PB4000, I feel I couldn't go wrong either way.
Lol, dual Ultras would be insane, I couldn't imagine, and I think for at least the next 10-15 years this Ultra will be my baby, maybe one day I'll get a second one.

Weird fact here, the Ultra wouldn't power on for a couple of days after I hooked it up, and SVS was dumbfounded as well, so much so they sent me a new amp to replace it. However, keeping the unit on for approx a day, although it wasn't working, eventually I came home and the light panel was on. It has worked fine ever since, and really was just an odd thing. I was assuming perhaps since it was stored in my garage, approx 30 degrees Farenheight, for approx 10 hours, perhaps the unit was just too cold and wouldn't start. I don't know, but it works and I'm extremely happy with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doing it all by ear. Really, I'm not that knowledgeable with speakers, subs, ect, but, it just sounded and felt better to stay with the Ultra. It is a monster, but, it was worth it to me. The PB4000 was awesome as well, but I got the Ultra for around the same price so took the big guy. I would be just as pleased with the PB4000, I feel I couldn't go wrong either way.
Lol, dual Ultras would be insane, I couldn't imagine, and I think for at least the next 10-15 years this Ultra will be my baby, maybe one day I'll get a second one.

Weird fact here, the Ultra wouldn't power on for a couple of days after I hooked it up, and SVS was dumbfounded as well, so much so they sent me a new amp to replace it. However, keeping the unit on for approx a day, although it wasn't working, eventually I came home and the light panel was on. It has worked fine ever since, and really was just an odd thing. I was assuming perhaps since it was stored in my garage, approx 30 degrees Farenheight, for approx 10 hours, perhaps the unit was just too cold and wouldn't start. I don't know, but it works and I'm extremely happy with it.
I meant more the integration/setup than just comparing "by ear" as many do without integration/setup. I didn't see the avr in your OP but see you mention a 7.1.4 capable avr later, hopefully it has decent tools for integration that you're using. In your sized room the one may do well particularly if you can avoid most issues at your primary seat.

The cold may have affected it. I'd probably just install the new amp just in case since you've got it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis