Anyone Familiar W/Polk LSiM704C Center Speaker?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone here own or have owned the Polk LSiM704C center? Perhaps, someone that has heard it and is at the very least familiar with it? How would you describe the sound? Given that it is half price right now has me curious. I have heard the Ring Radiator tweeter before, but in Ty's entry-level Freedom Line of speakers and loved it. More specifically, how is the 704C in terms of dialogue intelligibility? Bright? Harsh? Smooth rendition? Thanks!

Phil

PS Sale ends in (3) more days! Time is a ticking! :):):)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone? Not finding very many user reviews either. It does look like a decent center. Just curious to see if anyone here has owns or has owned one. Perhaps, just familiar with it, no? I admit it is rather tempting.

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What speakers will you be using with the center? I'm just curious, I don't have any experience with the center.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What speakers will you be using with the center? I'm just curious, I don't have any experience with the center.
It will be my Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary speakers. Will use center speaker ONLY when watching a BR/TV. Not worried about musicality but much concerned w/dialogue intelligibility.

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The good news about that center is that the crossover between mid woofer and bass drivers is at 280 Hz. That will really help to keep lobing down as a problem. It doesn't look like that bad of a center speaker relative to other center speakers. The LSim series have been voiced for a flat response as far as I have seen. It should do well.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The good news about that center is that the crossover between mid woofer and bass drivers is at 280 Hz. That will really help to keep lobing down as a problem. It doesn't look like that bad of a center speaker relative to other center speakers. The LSim series have been voiced for a flat response as far as I have seen. It should do well.
Well, I have already bought me a new center. My local BB has the Klipsch R-25C on sale for $200. Luckily they had one when I got to the store. Mine was the very last one that they had in stock! After all discounts it only cost me a little less than $142!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-dual-5-1-4-center-channel-speaker-black/6228067.p?skuId=6228067

That is a deal if I say so myself. Not too concerned if it is a little bright and/or forward. Heck, that might even help some given it is a center channel speaker. Just looking for clear dialogue intelligibility. Hope I made the right decision! :):):)

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My cousin had one of those R-25C center speakers.

He doesn't have it anymore. ;)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Well just have to see for myself. HT is not really important to me at all. Just want to hear dialogue better and more clearly. Figured the R-25C would suffice. If not, then back to the drawing board it is. Want to at the very least give the R-25C a chance and go from there. Hope to have things up and running very soon. Just moving at a snail's pace here lately. :):):)

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Ken, what was it about the R-25C that your cousin did not like? What was he using for his mains? The reason I ask is that over on the BB website the R-25C has a user rating of 4.8 out of a possible 5. No, that is not necessarily significant, but there are also over 600 reviews. That makes it a bit more interesting. For what I gave for it, I believe that it will suffice for my needs. If not, then I will make a change. Thus, over 600 reviews w/a 4.8 rating is a bit impressive for such an affordable center channel speaker inmho.

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ken, what was it about the R-25C that your cousin did not like? What was he using for his mains? The reason I ask is that over on the BB website the R-25C has a user rating of 4.8 out of a possible 5. No, that is not necessarily significant, but there are also over 600 reviews. That makes it a bit more interesting. For what I gave for it, I believe that it will suffice for my needs. If not, then I will make a change. Thus, over 600 reviews w/a 4.8 rating is a bit impressive for such an affordable center channel speaker inmho.

Phil
This one got a 4.7 with 234 reviews and is a little cheaper. For what you're describing it should work for you and you can save a few bucks in the process. Maybe you could return that one?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
This one got a 4.7 with 234 reviews and is a little cheaper. For what you're describing it should work for you and you can save a few bucks in the process. Maybe you could return that one?
Thanks for the link, but I am not interested in a Polk center such as this. I have owned a lot of Polk centers throughout the years and will have to pass. Not going to spend very much anyways b/c I really am not a HT guy. But, do appreciate the link. :):):)

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Forgot to mention the ONLY reason I was considering the POLK LSiM704C was that it is on sale for half price until Saturday the 20th. The deal that I got on the R-25C from BB won me over. I do believe that the R-25C will suffice for my needs. Over 600 user reviews with a rating of 4.8/5 is not too shabby. Given thst my preference is 90% on music, the R-25C will not even be used all that much anyways. Let's hope that I am right in my assessment. :):):)

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Phil, my cousin used it appropriately...as a center speaker to his R-24F mains and R-14M surrounds. The reason he moved on was he found it all (the whole speaker system) to be fatiguing to listen to. His limit seemed to be about 30 minutes. Mine was 2. ;)

Those ratings are useless. The only negative ones you typically find are from folks who got a genuinely faulty speaker or had a bad buying experience. The vast majority aren't going to post that the spent the money and hate the sound, at least initially. You may very well have a great experience with them. I find that series from Klipsch to be particularly bright, lacking in any bass and cheap looking in finish. That's me personally and I don't want to project everyone should feel that way.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, my cousin used it appropriately...as a center speaker to his R-24F mains and R-14M surrounds. The reason he moved on was he found it all (the whole speaker system) to be fatiguing to listen to. His limit seemed to be about 30 minutes. Mine was 2. ;)

Those ratings are useless. The only negative ones you typically find are from folks who got a genuinely faulty speaker or had a bad buying experience. The vast majority aren't going to post that the spent the money and hate the sound, at least initially. You may very well have a great experience with them. I find that series from Klipsch to be particularly bright, lacking in any bass and cheap looking in finish. That's me personally and I don't want to project everyone should feel that way.

Thanks Ken for the reply. In years past the Klipsch speakers were way too bright for me as well. Fatiguing and/or aggressive is how I remember them to be. I am also aware that the Reference Premiere line has tamed a lot of that. However, was not looking to spend that much on just a center. It will be used less than 10% of time if that much. Being a bit bright may help dialogue somewhat since I am only using a Klipsch center. Guess I will know soon enough. :):):)

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis