Anyone built a DIY Acoustically Transparent Screen?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If going AT still, then I would really consider going with Seymour AV for the screen. It is a suitable and appropriate match. Silver Ticket tends to live at the entry level, which doesn't mean 'bad' for sure. But, once you are getting into the $5,000 projectors, then pairing it up with an appropriate screen isn't a bad call.

It doesn't mean it is the best call either as screens can sometimes have very miniscule differences in overall quality. I certainly have screens I would prefer and buy over other screens. I'm a fan of DaLite's HD Progressive screens. But, I'm not there financially. So, I am using my eBay find screen... which is still pretty darn nice.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
If going AT still, then I would really consider going with Seymour AV for the screen. It is a suitable and appropriate match. Silver Ticket tends to live at the entry level, which doesn't mean 'bad' for sure. But, once you are getting into the $5,000 projectors, then pairing it up with an appropriate screen isn't a bad call.

It doesn't mean it is the best call either as screens can sometimes have very miniscule differences in overall quality. I certainly have screens I would prefer and buy over other screens. I'm a fan of DaLite's HD Progressive screens. But, I'm not there financially. So, I am using my eBay find screen... which is still pretty darn nice.
Ordered a screen today. It's most likely a "stop gap" entry level screen I got off of Amazon. I really just want to try it out with the new speakers (Paradigm 800F and 600C) I'm getting, and I had 500$ in Amazon gift cards to use. Probably not going to be upgrading the projector for a while until I save enough up, and decide which one to get. Then I can see about possibly upgrading the screen as well.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ordered a screen today. It's most likely a "stop gap" entry level screen I got off of Amazon. I really just want to try it out with the new speakers (Paradigm 800F and 600C) I'm getting, and I had 500$ in Amazon gift cards to use. Probably not going to be upgrading the projector for a while until I save enough up, and decide which one to get. Then I can see about possibly upgrading the screen as well.
Nice. I'm in no hurry either. I'm hoping they decide that VRR is a good thing for a projector. Will wait and see.

M

man_79

Audiophyte
Hello,

Are you happy with the picture and sound coming from behind the ATS screen ? I plan to renovate my media room and go the ATS route with the LCR speakers behind the screen. I have a paradigm studio 100 V3 main and 690 V4 center. Do you experience high frequency rolloff with the ATS screens ? I just spent a grand upgrading tweeters on my LCR to beryllium and would like to have the best possible audio. What screen would you recommend ? I plan to go with Epson Pro Cinema 4050 4K

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I have the AT cinema wide 158" Silver Ticket screen and the Epson UB5050 and am mostly happy. I would have preferred the JVC for better blacks but the Epson was cheaper and I plan to replace it in a couple years. Overall, I'm thrilled with the Silver Ticket screen and the sound is coming through perfectly fine. For $600 it was an excellent option before diving into the super exotic high end over priced stuff without really knowing the difference. When building everything you have from ground zero nothing, ever dollar adds up and sometimes economically priced stuff can turn out fantastic.

I forgot to mention, in the beginning I designed my own DIY frame and sourced screen material but the weight of the frame using lumber and the risks involved with it warping over time was way too much burden compared to the superior light weight strength of extruded aluminum you get with screen kits.

M

man_79

Audiophyte
I have the AT cinema wide 158" Silver Ticket screen and the Epson UB5050 and am mostly happy. I would have preferred the JVC for better blacks but the Epson was cheaper and I plan to replace it in a couple years. Overall, I'm thrilled with the Silver Ticket screen and the sound is coming through perfectly fine. For $600 it was an excellent option before diving into the super exotic high end over priced stuff without really knowing the difference. When building everything you have from ground zero nothing, ever dollar adds up and sometimes economically priced stuff can turn out fantastic.

I forgot to mention, in the beginning I designed my own DIY frame and sourced screen material but the weight of the frame using lumber and the risks involved with it warping over time was way too much burden compared to the superior light weight strength of extruded aluminum you get with screen kits.
Thank you so much ! Exactly what I was looking for . If I may ask , what speakers are you using ?

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Thank you so much ! Exactly what I was looking for . If I may ask , what speakers are you using ?
Klipsch RF7 III towers and center. More on my system can be found at the link in my sig

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Hello,

Are you happy with the picture and sound coming from behind the ATS screen ? I plan to renovate my media room and go the ATS route with the LCR speakers behind the screen. I have a paradigm studio 100 V3 main and 690 V4 center. Do you experience high frequency rolloff with the ATS screens ? I just spent a grand upgrading tweeters on my LCR to beryllium and would like to have the best possible audio. What screen would you recommend ? I plan to go with Epson Pro Cinema 4050 4K
Just saw this post.

I did end up upgrading my projector to the Epson 5050UBe. Huge upgrade over the Epson 8350 I had previously.

As far as the ATS goes, I got a QualGear 110". It was only about 500$ Canadian, but so far it has been great. I haven't noticed any degradation in sound quality, in fact quite the opposite. Of course that is probably due to the new LCR and surrounds I also bought. Here is the review I left on Amazon for the screen:

"I bought this as a way to hide my speakers behind my screen like a real movie theatre does. After a lot of research, I figured I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars on a screen. I saw this one and figured why not, Amazon has a great return policy. So after having it for a few months, I must say I'm very impressed with this screen especially for the price. It was easy to assemble (did it myself in less than 1.5 hrs), and it seems to be high quality. I've been using it regularly since I got it, and my only 'issue' is that it might be too transparent. The support bar that holds the centre up is visible when the projector is on, as a dark line on the screen (I was aware of this from other reviewsbefore I bought the screen). Also, the light shines through and produces a double image/shadow on the back of the screen. But really, those are minor issues that I was easily able to remedy by buying some acoustically transparent black backing to mount behind the screen. Now, it looks amazing. There are lots of other screens out there, and most are a lot more expensive than this one. They 'may' be better, but honestly for the price I don't think you'll get a better one. And really, even if they are better I'd bet you'd have to do a literal side by side comparison to see what (if any) difference paying 2, 3, 5 or even 20× as much money would make.

Cheers."

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Does anyone on here have a Seymour AT XD screen? I've been seeing those are very popular.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This is a very comprehensive list and test of multiple AT screens that were put through some reasonable testing. I hate linking off-site, but just the main information presented is excellent...
Nice list. Thanks for posting that.

I ended up doing this. Twice actually, and it works quite well with my HC4000. I'd test it with a newer PJ, but I'd probably go with a purpose built material for future screens.

Best Budget Material: Spandex/Milliskin Matte
No surprises here. This material is an AVSForum darling and it is easy to see why. The spandex sample was so smooth that I could make out the pixel structure of the 5050UB from around 2′ away (the only other material to achieve this is the DreamScreen). Pretty impressive for a material that costs about $80 for both the front and back layers! I’ve used this material to make my screen and from experience, I can say that it is very easy and forgiving to install, making it a great DIY’ers choice. The biggest (and well-known) issue is its estimated gain of 0.75, so you need to make sure your projector can account for the light attenuation. Max dB loss comes in at 2.5dB with both layers.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone on here have a Seymour AT XD screen? I've been seeing those are very popular.
That's what I used for my DIY screen and I'm quite happy with it. But, I haven't had experience with any other models, so I don't have anything to compare it against.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
That's what I used for my DIY screen and I'm quite happy with it. But, I haven't had experience with any other models, so I don't have anything to compare it against.
I'm down to two screens. Stewart or Seymour. I personally don't think I'll have any issue with either of them. My first row will be at least 12ft from the screen. So there shouldn't be any issues of seeing the weave. I just want to make sure the screen is not hurting the sound quality too much.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis