Any tips for software to play HD DVDS on HTPC?

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
I recently had my first HTPC built for me by a friend. I had him install an LG Blu-ray/HD DVD player; however, he installed Power DVD 9 on it so it only supports Blu-ray. I guess I am looking to add another player to just handle the HD DVDs if there is an option that is not too expensive.

I know HD DVD lost the battle; however, I can buy them for $2-3 a piece and I'd like to have a small library of them.

Thanks

R

redass

Junior Audioholic
I currently use cyberlink powerdvd ultra. Never used anything else, but that's because I haven't had the time to try them, not because I like cyberlink that much. look like I have v7.3.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also have the LG BD/HD DVD combo drive.

I use the TMT3 to play my HD DVDs. Works like a charm!

B

bluebirdy

Audioholic Intern
Blue ray can be played in lot of player on your PC even on Windows Players just install some codecs and blue ray and hdtv would be running on your system. Also check out Vlc player and jet audio they are also good.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Powerdvd will play them, as well as Total Media Theater 3.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Powerdvd will play them, as well as Total Media Theater 3.
I think PowerDVD version 7 will play HD DVD (but only 2.0 stereo), but not v8 or v9.

TMT3 will play HD DVD in 5.1 DD or DTS, but not TrueHD or DTS-HD.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think PowerDVD version 7 will play HD DVD (but only 2.0 stereo), but not v8 or v9.

TMT3 will play HD DVD in 5.1 DD or DTS, but not TrueHD or DTS-HD.
From Wikipedia:

HD DVD support was included in some versions of PowerDVD 7 but was removed from PowerDVD 8 because there will be limited new releases in this format as it is no longer supported by any major studio. It can be re-enabled through a workaround.[5] Cyberlink advises users who want to keep HD DVD playback to buy the Ultra editions of PowerDVD 7 and 8 which can be installed together on the same system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerDVD

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I still have a copy of PowerDVD 7 Ultra on disc, but no need to have it installed along with PowerDVD 9 Ultra since I don't own any HD DVD's, and will likely never see another one again.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I still have a copy of PowerDVD 7 Ultra on disc, but no need to have it installed along with PowerDVD 9 Ultra since I don't own any HD DVD's, and will likely never see another one again.
Yeah, me too.

Before I knew about TMT3, I actually installed PDVD7 and was able to play HD DVDs, but only in 2.0 stereo.

Then I found out about TMT3, and now I can play HD DVDs in 5.1 DD & DTS.

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
Thanks for the input guys. I picked up a copy of TMT3 for my HD DVDs and am using PowerDVD 9 for BD since I already had it installed.

R

redass

Junior Audioholic
oh the irony. so after posting in this topic, I went to play an HDDVD with powerdvd ultra 7, and I followed the update prompt and it pretty much ruined HDDVD audio / video sync. apparently this is an issue with the software, so I take back my previous statement about being happy with powerdvd. argh :mad:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis