Any suggestions for a sealed, front firing subwoofer?

B

billw

Banned
Hello,
Looking for a good sealed, front firing sub for a cabinet enclosure. I know its not ideal but its what I want.
The room is big, say 22x18x10.
Thinking of (2) 10" subs, but could probably fit (2) 12" subs as well.
Budget $2K.

What about these?
http://infiniteelectronix.com/item.asp?cID=102&scID=139&PID=12020

The problem is, I cant find them for sale anywhere else. That worries me. Are they still in business?
Thanks in advance.

D

df4801

Banned
How about a couple of ACI forces's or titan's? Check out audioc.com

What I am unsure of is whether a pair of 10" subs or a single 15" sub would be better for you.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
df4801 said:
How about a couple of ACI forces's or titan's? Check out audioc.com

What I am unsure of is whether a pair of 10" subs or a single 15" sub would be better for you.
Cabinet install subwoofers have to be front firing and(if applicable) front ported.

SheepStar

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
A few ideas.

BG has a sub for $1,499 list (model 210i) that is really really nice. It has 2 10" firing drivers (Kevlar). Jamo makes 2 THX Ultra 15" models in that price ($1,499 - $2000) range that are killer. Two of my favorites. I put a Jamo D6 in recently for a releatively conservative, serious, and straight faced customer of mine. For the grand unveiling I played the Echo Game scene from "House of Flying Daggars". When the base hit, to my pleasant surprise, the guy looked at me and yelled (because he had too) "Holy ****! I can feel it!" Made me smile ear to ear. He was more than happy. King Kong really rocked as well. I can attest that the Jamo D6 or D7 will blow you up. You will not need two. No joke.

I'm a BG & Jamo dealer and can personally attest to them making great products. I have the D7 on one of my systems at home. I'm keeping it and that is a rare thing as I like to burn through demos faster than you can spit. I have installed and sold subs from other brands as well.The RBH 1010-SEP is a monster but might take up too much floor space in a room that size. If it were me I would go for the BG or Jamo with a lean towards tha Jamo. I promise.... you will feel it.

ricocetj

ricocetj

Junior Audioholic
About that earthquake, I've read some good things about the 15 inch version (MKV15), but I haven't heard a lot about the 10"er. That company is still in business, it simply is a smaller company that tends to sell mostly through a network of dealers and custom installers.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
BMF sub.

If I were in your shoes, I would get on the preorder list for the upcomming BMF sub designed by Mark Seaton for av123. It is priced at $2k and will have a 15" driver and 3 18" passive radiators for much more power than 2 or their 12" models.

In the mean time, get one of the sealed 12" subs on special for $700.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=13.1

You will be able to trade it in for a $650-700 credit on the BMF when it comes out in a few months.

M

Mike Dzurko

Audioholic Intern
BillW:

If you're interested, we might have a front firing Maestro B-stock (cosmetic, full five year warranty etc. etc) that would meet your budget and do an awesome job in your room. email me if interested.:)

D

df4801

Banned
Mike,
Do you think he would be better off with 2 smaller subs, like 2 titans?
Or is a single, but bigger, sub better. It seems that your subs have similar extension. Is that correct?

Billw,
List the size of the cabinet you need a sub for.
I helped a friend to do the same thing a while back.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the Velodyne HGS models. I simply have never heard a speaker that is tighter and cleaner with as much rumble... except maybe Sunfire.

Audiogon and eBay can score you some deals as well.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I would've suggested the Velodyne DD series, due to the positioning constraints the EQ facility would come in very handy.

But I'm not sure on the prices over there, maybe the DD10 could fall into budget(although if your going to pull the trigger on one of these, I'd suggest at least the DD15).

cheers:)

M

Mike Dzurko

Audioholic Intern
df4801 said:
Mike,
Do you think he would be better off with 2 smaller subs, like 2 titans?
Or is a single, but bigger, sub better. It seems that your subs have similar extension. Is that correct?
A single Maestro has the same "sound" as the Titan, but four times the acoustical output :) The Titan is rated -3db at 20Hz and the Maestro is -3db at 19Hz . . . hardly worth talking about but the output capabilities are very different.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jcPanny said:
If I were in your shoes, I would get on the preorder list for the upcomming BMF sub designed by Mark Seaton for av123. It is priced at $2k and will have a 15" driver and 3 18" passive radiators for much more power than 2 or their 12" models.

In the mean time, get one of the sealed 12" subs on special for $700.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=13.1

You will be able to trade it in for a $650-700 credit on the BMF when it comes out in a few months.
Passive rad systems (IE: Bass Reflex) cannot go in a cabinet. Unless that subwoofer has 4 drivers (3 passive) on the front, he would be SOL.

SheepStar

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sub options

The cabiniet location is definately a perfromance limitation.
Maybe when the wife sees the real rosewood finish on the BMF or UFW-12 sub she will let you take it out of the cabinet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis