Any reviews/thoughts of Seymour AV’s Glacier white PS screen material?

F

Filmgeek47

Enthusiast
Considering purchasing for a DIY screen in a fully light controlled space. Currently using some silver ticket 1.3 raw material that I’m having issues with.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is some relevant information here...

I hate sending people off site, but really, the AVS DiY forums are much deeper overall than what you are likely to find here. Keep in mind how pedantic they can often be over there before wading into their waters. There are a ton of opinions that go along with facts as well.

Would be great if you could detail what issues you have run into with SilverTicket screens, as they are an excellent go-to first screen for many people. I guess, I wouldn't likely use them for just raw material though. I would more likely go to Carl's Screens.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I hate sending people off site, but really, the AVS DiY forums are much deeper overall than what you are likely to find here. Keep in mind how pedantic they can often be over there before wading into their waters. There are a ton of opinions that go along with facts as well.

Would be great if you could detail what issues you have run into with SilverTicket screens, as they are an excellent go-to first screen for many people. I guess, I wouldn't likely use them for just raw material though. I would more likely go to Carl's Screens.
Never heard of Carl's Screens. May have to use their AT material to replace my DIY spandex screen once I finally get a new PJ.

Have you used their AT material?

F

Filmgeek47

Enthusiast

I appreciate the reply. I'm actually a more frequent poster over there. The trouble is, Seymour recently updated their material (the old Glacier white had issues with texture, the new one is smooth but lower gain). I've only found one person who's actually using the new GW with their screen. Having just wasted $100 on screen material I'm trying to do my homework before buying again.

The issue I'm having with the ST material is specifically with their higher gain 1.3 white, which they only sell raw.

It's sort of tragic, because it's almost perfect. Nice and bright, color neutral etc. The problem I'm having is subtle but it's now all I can see. Any bright uniform highlights in an image (like say, sky) gets a kind of shimmer that draws your attention to the surface of the screen.

Silver Ticket support suggested the problem is due to my PJ being near the minimum throw range, but my room is small enough that I can't move it back.

I have a sample of the Carl's Flexi-white, but it appears to have the same highlight shimmer in my setup.

I was pretty happy with the Silver Ticket 1.0 material in my original non-DIY screen, but it's too beaten up to be used now. Kind of frustrating to re-purchase the same material twice, but I may just end up sticking with what I know will work, even if it's not the best option.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That's a lot of good information. I must say that I've only built a screen once, and I didn't find it to be worth my time. Prefab screens are of completely acceptable quality and save a ton of time overall. I did a blackout cloth screen, and it really looked solid when I was done, but it can't be broken down and took hours upon hours to put together properly. Stretching fabric to get a drum tight screen is no joke. Anyway, I decided at that point to only buy screens, and I've had good luck with both SilverTicket and Elite, but I stick with their pretty basic screens.

A real issue remains in the market with shimmering, and I think it is always something to watch out for with different fabrics and different manufacturers and certainly is an issue with any screen which adds some gain. I was always very happy with the Carada screens, but I think their gain rating was a bit higher than they delivered and this contributed to a very smooth image. I have gotten to a point where I do look for shimmer, especially since I see ALR screens with huge amounts of shimmer in their material and reviewers that never seem to see ANY issues when they look at the screen.

I'm not a DiY type of person, and I haven't played with any, let alone a bunch, of DiY flavors out there. I think it's cool that some people love to experiment with all the different stuff there is, but I just stick with pretty basic setups when I can and it seems to work quite nicely for the needs of my clients, and myself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis