Any point in upgrading tvs?

S

Socially_Inept

Audiophyte
Hey

I have a Samsung PN50a650 50" Plasma circa 2008, and like around this time every year I'm seeing great TV deals which will be followed by even better deals in January/February.

I still think the picture quality is great on my old Samsung, not Panasonic VT great but its up there. There's mild image retention but it doesn't stay long. I don't use 3D, it makes me nauseous and I feel like a geek putting on glasses. I don't use Smart TV features as I have a HTPC.

I don't see a big difference in TVs from a few years ago other than manufacturers throwing in a ton of gimmicks which I can live with out? Is there really any point in upgrading other than going bigger?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey

I have a Samsung PN50a650 50" Plasma circa 2008, and like around this time every year I'm seeing great TV deals which will be followed by even better deals in January/February.

I still think the picture quality is great on my old Samsung, not Panasonic VT great but its up there. There's mild image retention but it doesn't stay long. I don't use 3D, it makes me nauseous and I feel like a geek putting on glasses. I don't use Smart TV features as I have a HTPC.

I don't see a big difference in TVs from a few years ago other than manufacturers throwing in a ton of gimmicks which I can live with out? Is there really any point in upgrading other than going bigger?
yes, other than getting a bigger set you should upgrade if you old one dies :D:p:D (that's that I did)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
The only reason I can see for a new tv is to go bigger. I guess I go with the mentality of it ain't broke so why spend the money? Granted, I replaced my old projection with a plasma, but that made a big difference in the room (projection was huge!).

Personally, I'd save the money and leave it alone for now. I just don't see any compelling reason if you are happy with what you have now.

Granted, bigger is almost always better...but at the cost to gain extra inches?? Wait a couple of years for the 70+" units to come down in price.

Just my useless opinion.

R

ratm

Audioholic
Hey

I have the exact same TV and go through the exact same problem as you every christmas. i would love to get a 70 inch pro-elite, or a 65 vt50, or even a 64 D8000, but I agree with you regarding the features, I wont use many of them.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If you have not calibrated the TV, (self calibration is good but pro calibration is on another level) you are not ready to upgrade.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey

don't see a big difference in TVs from a few years ago other than manufacturers throwing in a ton of gimmicks which I can live with out? Is there really any point in upgrading other than going bigger?
Answer to second question, definitely yes. However, the extent of how much you would enjoy these points depends on circumstances that you didn't explain, such as source material, and distance from display, for example.

Now if my quick google wasn't mistakenly made, your display cannot playback 24p at a native rate. It still applies 3:2 pulldown just like the TVs of old. We've had 24p capability for well over half a decade, I wonder even how close to a decade we even might be getting (not sure). Yours can't.

But if you watch mostly TV, and/or play video games, who cares. If you watch mostly movies like I do, it makes a big, I'd even say huge difference with the large viewing angle I watch with my PJ. 3:2 on my system looks "gross", that is the best word I can come up with.

But if my viewing angle was say reduced all the way down to about 1/3 of what it currently is, let's say a 50" from 15', then it wouldn't look nearly as gross to me.

Outside of that feature, I do typically vote for size over quality, just because of what most people watch in the conditions they watch them in, whereas resolution really makes a huge difference in most any circumstance. Black levels for example, if you don't watch with all the lights killed (you can't see your own hand in front of your face when the TV isn't turned on yet), then you might be paying extra for performance that won't be appreciated.

I believe a 65" should be about a 69% increase in display size over your 50", and that is a pretty huge increase.

Once you get past only the modest distance of approximately 6' from your 50" display, you can no longer resolve the full 1080p anymore (outside of having vision that exceeds 20/20).

S

Socially_Inept

Audiophyte
Hey

Answer to second question, definitely yes. However, the extent of how much you would enjoy these points depends on circumstances that you didn't explain, such as source material, and distance from display, for example.

Now if my quick google wasn't mistakenly made, your display cannot playback 24p at a native rate. It still applies 3:2 pulldown just like the TVs of old. We've had 24p capability for well over half a decade, I wonder even how close to a decade we even might be getting (not sure). Yours can't.

But if you watch mostly TV, and/or play video games, who cares. If you watch mostly movies like I do, it makes a big, I'd even say huge difference with the large viewing angle I watch with my PJ. 3:2 on my system looks "gross", that is the best word I can come up with.

But if my viewing angle was say reduced all the way down to about 1/3 of what it currently is, let's say a 50" from 15', then it wouldn't look nearly as gross to me.

Outside of that feature, I do typically vote for size over quality, just because of what most people watch in the conditions they watch them in, whereas resolution really makes a huge difference in most any circumstance. Black levels for example, if you don't watch with all the lights killed (you can't see your own hand in front of your face when the TV isn't turned on yet), then you might be paying extra for performance that won't be appreciated.

I believe a 65" should be about a 69% increase in display size over your 50", and that is a pretty huge increase.

Once you get past only the modest distance of approximately 6' from your 50" display, you can no longer resolve the full 1080p anymore (outside of having vision that exceeds 20/20).
Excellent post, I never considered native 24p.

I used to use a 100" projection and I really miss the size, but since I'm an an apartment now 50" is more than enough. Maybe I'll just hold off until I have a better viewing room to jump back up to at least 65"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis