Any opinions on Dayton Cables?

D

docferdie

Audioholic
I was interested in replacing some analog cables in my system with the non-snake oil kind. I actually had really cheap MCM component cables that looked well built ($6 for a 3 foot length) but I get some ghosting with it(this is actually recent as I didn't have this at the start; i suspect that the wire is damaged on the inside as a result of faulty construction and this defect worsened through time and became apparent in the video image.). From what I know ghosting on the component input is a function of the resistance of the cable. This is just one of my horror stories with MCM cables. The other being that I got 3 sets of 1 foot audio interconnects only to realize that one of them is actually just 10 inches. This type of quality control makes me want to get each and every MCM cable out of my system. I was actually able to get rid of the ghosting with a 4 foor Monster THX component cable but at 29.99 I think that I am still paying too much.
I would have bought the GE cables at Circuit City but the shortest they had was a 6 foot cable (at a reasonable price of 14.99).
I was browsing the partsexpress website and saw the dayton line of cables. Does anyone have any experience with these? I know that a number of us probably have their Banana plugs as a result of that very nice speaker wire DIY article.
I would also buy radio shack but again they don't have 3 foot or even 4 foot lengths. I like to keep my interconnects short to minimize the jungle behind my TV plus I'm sharing the 480p input on my TV through the use of an AV switcher so cable lengths are doubled.
The one thing I can say about Monster cables is that they know how to pick their RCA connectors as I have yet to encounter one which was difficult to plug in or remove.
In the end I might end up with the 29.99 Monster's as these are the shortest ones I can pick up at retail and I'm tired of experimenting with unknown Internet companies for cables.

Last edited:
Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I do not have any Dayton cables but I have read reviews that state they are good quality cables. I have seen many people recc. them on these forums and others.

I mainly use Radio Shack Gold Series and I can attest to their very good build quality. Unfortunately, like you said, 3ft is hard to find.

Shinerman

X

xrayeyes

Enthusiast
radioshack cagles

The Radioshack gold AudioVisual cables come in 3' legnths. According to tech support these are technically the same as those labeled "Component" cables but from a different vendor (and 1'2 the price). Only the color codes are different.

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
Does RS still sell their own house brands of cables?

They are a recent convert to Monster Cable.

I used to like RS cables, as they were very good quality and not too expensive.

I just bought a set of Dayton Cables from partsexpress, and they seem like they are pretty well built cables!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis