any new info on 2019 blu-ray players?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In the market for a good, new Blu-ray player. Been strongly considering the Sony UBP X700. Other than the tease of the new panasonic or Oppo (too expensive for me right now),is there a release cycle when Sony is likely to press an update to their line? (Seems like February is when Sony last released these products.) Anything else I should consider? Should I wait a little longer?

Thank you!

EDIT:
Should I consider having a separate CD transport, or just use the Blu-ray player for all my disc needs... just short of frisbees. :p

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What new Oppo? They're out of the business....

What new features do you anticipate as available in 2019 models, and of those, what are those that you need? I don't see any reason to have a separate cd transport/player these days....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What new Oppo? They're out of the business....

What new features do you anticipate as available in 2019 models, and of those, what are those that you need? I don't see any reason to have a separate cd transport/player these days....
Indeed... only referencing the price point. *shrug

The x700 seems to have everything I want, and more. Nice to have Dolby Vision for when I upgrade the TV. There was a point where they didn't have it listed as HiRes audio, but now says it supports everything. Perhaps the only ding against it is the build quality... so perhaps an upgrade to the x800 to include D.V.?
Regardless, at that point, it seems moot.
Not like I'm gonna be using the unit for disc-golf.
Mainly curious about AV update season... if its worth waiting for an update, or if I should just snag one when I'm able.

Thanks, Lovin!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have the x800. The Sony UHD x800 does SACD and DVD-A over HDMI 2.0a, but no Dolby Vision. The newer Sony x700 doesn’t do DVD-A but has Dolby Vision.

Sony has been very clear that they will NOT be updating the x800 to Dolby Vision.

The x800 remote is lame because no backlight but I just use the Sony phone remote control app. Other quirk is Netflix thru the x800 is only DD not DD+. Amazon Prime is DD+. There are frequent Sony os updates that address any bugs so if you don’t use the player for a couple weeks, expect to wait for an update. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis