Anxiety attack over buying decisions!

D

dezracer

Audiophyte
I am hoping some of you pros out there can help me with this before I go crazy thinking about it.

CURRENT EQUIPMENT.

-Adcom GFA555 amplifier (200 watt Into 8 ohm,325 into 4 ohm)
-Adcom GTP 400 Preamp
-Adcom GCD 575 CD player
-MB quart 280 speakers (2-way 8inch bookshelf 4ohm)
-Outlaw audio LFM-1 Subwoofer (325 watt 12 inch)
-Sony DVP S360 DVD player
-A plain ol Magvavox 27 inch TV

Decent equipment,good clean sound,but I want to enter the surround sound arena.(I know ....Im way late)Anyway..I cant do rear speakers because of room issues.SO...Im thinking center channel and program for "Phantom surround sound" which Ive heard can sound pretty good.(with the right equipment)

I would sell the Adcom amp and preamp and replace with a Denon AVR 2805,then purchase a MB Quart QLS 330 center speaker.If I can get $400 for my Adcoms I figure I will be into the new stuff for around $800.

OK...enough...heres the million dollar question. Will I be happy,or am I kind of going backwards?My Adcom stuff is 12 years old..has tecknology increased so much that a receiver with less power will sound better better than my separates?The only thing Im really gaining here is a center channel and sub-out jacks right?Movies might sound better with this setup but will Good,acurate,pure stereophonic music suffer?

Any and all thoughts,advice,etc, will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Adcom makes a very nice pre-processor. Add a couple more channels of power some rears and maybe even a center channel speaker. I don't think you're going to get better power amlification in any receiver. Also, if you're into video a nice hi def wide screen monitor would sure look nice. If you decide to sell your Adcom stuff you'll have no problem doing so on e-bay or Audiogon. That should tell you something about Adcom gear. Try selling a ???? receiver 2 or 3 years from now and see what kind of response you get.:cool:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis