Anthony Gallo TR-1 Subwoofer

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
No HT is complete without a subwoofer. Everyone loves a large honkin subwoofer that takes up half the wall, but too many wives squash that dream. Sometimes, a good-looking subwoofer is needed that takes up a small footprint and still sounds good. Enter the Gallo TR-1.

Build Quality
Build quality on the TR-1 is excellent. Constructed from steel in a sealed design and using an A/B amp, this baby weighs a bit. I didn’t see a single flaw anywhere on the subwoofer and it came double-boxed and well-packed. The driver is 10” front-firing and the amp is 100 watts RMS. The TR-1 certainly looks different than your usual wood cabinet subwoofer.

Connectivity
The back of the subwoofer sports the usual connections. R/L IN and speaker connectors for those without an LFE pre-out. Three knobs for crossover, gain, and phase. No bypass switch so for those using a processor or receiver to set the crossover, simply turn the crossover knob on the TR-1 all the way up. There’s also a switch for bass +3db to -3db to help smooth things out if needed.

Sound
I hooked the TR-1 up to a recently setup Denon 590. Right out of the gate, I knew this sub was decent. Getting out my trusty War of the World DVD, I fast forwarded to the scene where the tripod alien comes out of the ground and starts blasting people. Compared with the HSU STF-2, the TR-1 hit almost as low and about as hard unless volume was really pushed. The STF-2 has output to about 25Hz; I’d say the TR-1 is good to about 26-28Hz. Where the TR-1 did well was with music. Considering it had to fill the sound up to 120Hz where the Aperion 4B’s were crossed, it did it seamlessly; blending was non-issue. The Aperion Bravus 8D which came with the package also did well in this regard, but was not able to hit as low as the TR-1. This small sub definitely had some rumble to it.

Conclusion
Will the TR-1 hit as hard and low as the HSU STF-2 or SVS PB10-NSD? No, but without pushing things to somewhat stupid levels, it holds its own and does have an edge when it comes to music. Because of its small footprint, the TR-1 fits just about anywhere which is why the Bravus 8D will head back to Oregon. The Bravus 8D also has a small footprint, but wouldn’t fit in the space needed this time.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Nice review rnatalli. It sounds like a decent little sub. The Gallo gear I have heard and seen has always been impressive. I may not care for the aesthetic of much of their gear but I can appreciate the build quality and design idea they were going for. Only one thing would have made your review better.......A picture of the sub.;)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Ask and you shall receive. Unfortunately, it's the only picture I have. It's my usual spot to test and make sure it actually works before heading to its final destination.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you could comfortably fit either into your room and only planned to use it for music, would you still have chosen the TR-1 over the Bravus?
Thanks,
Kurt

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The sub wasn't for me. The TR-1 hits a hair lower than the 8D, but I think the 8D can outcrank the TR-1 probably due to a more powerful amplifier. The 8D also has a simple EQ built in and also allows for Movie, Music, and Game modes. You can't go wrong with either really and it comes down to ease of placement and aesthetics. The 8D is a lot prettier in my opinion, but more difficult to place. I also found that Audyssey had an easier time tweaking the TR-1 vs. the 8D if that matters.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis