Anthem Statement D-1

A

ASI36AH

Audiophyte
Thinking Buying The Anthem Statement D-1 Can Anyone Help With Some Advice. Also Anthem Statement A-5 Multi Channel Amp.

M

Mobius

Junior Audioholic
What kind of advice are you looking for?

It's a great unit, in fact the whole Anthem line is great.

J

jazzwith

Audiophyte
Advice?...

I've been eyeing the D1 for months now. I'm having a tube amp built and need a new processor.

1) My first question would be...'Who' is the Statement D1 for (in terms of their needs)?

2) I've gotten info from Anthem regarding the HDMI/Scaler upgrade (with its original December 2004 release date and now "Spring 2005" release date). Wondering if we'll see a price jump?

3) Last piece of info...I hesitate to go ahead and mention this, because I'm interested in a 'general' response to question #1. My interests/needs are: Two-channel audio for music and movies & mulit-zone. No mulit-ch, but never say "never". All digital audio (need a great DAC). Conclusion: Want a great control center that I'm not going to want to replace for a long time.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You might want to hold off on your purchase until you check out my review of the Integra Research RDC-7.1. I will be posting it in about 2 weeks. Its in the same price range as the Anthem and has a few extra goodies in it.

A

ArtV

Enthusiast
Gene.

I have been agonizing between the D1 and the RDC7.1 and am ready to make my move. Any chance of a hint at what you think? I believe I have decided on the RDC 7.1 but have no chance to hear it before I buy it. You guys always tell it like it is so a brief opinion on the unit would be most appreciated. Thanks

ArtV

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Art;

The RDC7.1 is a more flexible platform IMO. It is a great design that shows much potential with future upgrades that I am confident Integra Research will support in a timely manner. Aside from the performance, the build quality is second to none. I don't want to give away too much. This will be a benchmark review for us since I just scored a $35k Audio Analyzer from Audio Precision to do some trick measurements.

A

ArtV

Enthusiast
Gene,

From all I've read, it does appear to be ready for many years of upgrades and short of more cards, I cannot imagine a more flexible set up. Also, it appears to have some powerful hardware. I don't know much about the Wolfson D/A converters however.

I know that sound is subjective but..........

It is now in your 'Staff Reference System 1'. Do YOU like the way it sounds? Your opinion sure helps when shelling out this kind of coin for a pre/pro without hearing it.

ArtV

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yes its in my reference system and so is the Denon AVR-5805! I haven't had a chance to play with the 5805 yet but as you can see I am up to my armpits with product right now.

A

ArtV

Enthusiast
Gene,

I guess if your going to have a problem, that's a good one to have! Do you like the sound?

ArtV

R

Razvan

Enthusiast
RDC-7.1 vs D1

I had the D1 for 6 months and then, after I saw and heard the RDC-7.1, sold it and bought the RDC-7.1. In my opinion the RDC-7.1 is far superior both sound wise and feature wise. Not to mention the RDC-7.1 build quality which is the best I have ever seen in a peamplifier.

Both the RDC-7.1 and the D1 were pretty buggy when they were released - the D1 in May 2004, the RDC-7.1 in December 2004 - but now, after a few firmware revisions, both seem to be quite stable.

R

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
Razvan said:
In my opinion the RDC-7.1 is far superior both sound wise
Raz. I think you are exagerating a little bit here... :D And when you say that, is it for the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd or the 4th unit you got in the last month (because you got 3 buggy and DOA IR 7.1...)? It's kind of confusing because your opinion is switching form bright, to warm, then another thing, with each unit you got in the last 1 or 2 months... I think the 1st was bright, the 2nd was warm, the 3rd was DOA... so the 4th is what: bright or warm?

The guy had to swap 4 units in the last month... Unbelievable. I think IR is using early adoptors to do beta-testing for them....

Last edited:
R

Razvan

Enthusiast
LEVESQUE said:
Raz. I think you are exagerating a little bit here... :D And when you say that, is it for the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd or the 4th unit you got in the last month (because you got 3 buggy and DOA IR 7.1...)? It's kind of confusing because your opinion is switching form bright, to warm, then another thing, with each unit you got in the last 1 or 2 months... I think the 1st was bright, the 2nd was warm, the 3rd was DOA... so the 4th is what: bright or warm?

The guy had to swap 4 units in the last month... Unbelievable. I think IR is using early adoptors to do beta-testing for them....
In fact all 4 units sounded better than the D1, even the DOA one! If you want your ears to bleed buy the D1. If you like a rich, full sound get the RDC-7.1.

Talking of beta testing I owned 2 D1's: the first was defective and the second was so buggy and sounded so bright that I had to get rid of it. I had a lot more problems with the D1 units than I had with the RDC-7.1 units.

The IR units now ship with master firmware version 1.06 and they work fine.

Razvan

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
Razvan said:
In fact all 4 units sounded better than the D1, even the DOA one! If you want your ears to bleed buy the D1. If you like a rich, full sound get the RDC-7.1.
Like I already told you, because your room has no room treatment at all, you're hearing your room alot more then the 2 pro/pros... By choosing the "warmer" pre/pro, you are just compensating for the lack of proper room treatment in your room.

My room is fully treated, and the D1 has a rich and full sound, w/o any "brightness" or ears bleeding.

Like I always said, individual reviews of different products are somewhat meaningless when the room is not treated.

I will trust Audioholics reviewers opinions tough, because I know they are really pushing the enveloppe about room treatment and related topics. So I assume they probably compare 2 products like those in the same room, in a properly treated room. Or else, like I said, it's somewhat meaningless...

J

jazzwith

Audiophyte
Will be looking for the review of the Integra, but a question of mine has been: Anthem AVM30 vs. Statement D1/Integra RDC-7.1

Setup: Two-channel, Tube Amp

I can go the route of an external DAC, so I'm curious if the difference in internal DAC's worth it: Anthem AVM30 (AKM 4382) vs D1 (AKM 4395)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis