Anthem MRX 1140 vs Denon AVR-X8500H

N

NCAV

Audiophyte
Anthem has some very loyal followers. The whole superior “sound” like you say is not measured by them—just a given to their confirmation bias. Denons test better and have much much fewer bugs upon release. Just glance over the AVS forum owner’s thread for AVM 70/90. Oh my gosh was that an embarrassing clumsy release early on. Whew.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Read through this thread as I'm trying to find out what suits my needs, I actually have a Denon 6700 and a Anthem 1140 testing. I would agree on the comments on Denon and setup, but for sound, I can't discern that much from a $1,000 set of speakers to an $11,000 speaker but I was planning on going with an Integra 5.4 or Denon 6700 and the store just happen to have the Anthem 1140 so I purchased it as well to test. The sound quality is pretty significant on the Anthem. For sound stage accuracy, find all 3 about the same. For low to mid decibel listening, they are comparable but my ears give the Anthem the edge and my wallet would prefer the Integra or Denon.

But mid to upper decibels, the anthem is just a whole other sound. I would describe it as it sounds like I added a sub and properly adjusted the levels from lows to highs, just a more solid, robust sound throughout. And I'm running on JBL 590's and 580's which some scoffed at but I couldn't be happier. But alas Anthem doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and various HDMI issues trying to get my gaming console to work because it's for gaming and movies, I'm not sure I'll end up with it. I also wish they at least had a mobile app to control inputs and volume and change input profiles based on input.

Curious what the OP ended up with and how they like it. If still deciding, recommend get the units you are considering in your room and switch back with the same source and media to decide.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also wish they at least had a mobile app to control inputs and volume and change input profiles based on input.
One of the reasons I love about Yamaha - best WiFi Remote Control app in the world (MusicCast).

Pros and cons. Can’t win them all. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis