another quick calibration question

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
does it matter if the speaker levels are calibrated at 70db 75db 50db, etc......

wouldnt it just self adjust as you move the volume up and down regardless of the setting?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The reason behind calibrating to 75 dB is that the level of the test tones on the receiver are at -30 dB. So when you play something at a level of -30 dB and the meter reads 75 dB, you would have 105 dB (Dolby Reference Level) when the input signal peaks (0 dB).

Yes the output SPL will increase or decrease with the volume control. When the master volume is set at whatever number you used when you calibrated the SPL will be as above. When the master volume is below that number, it wil be less and likewise when the master volume is above that number it will be higher.

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
okay thanks

when i set my reference (receiver) volume to 0db, i could not get the spl to go up to 75db per channel....

i have 2 choices..

i can do 70db on the spl at 0db reference or......

75db on the spl at +5db reference

which one should i do?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Your saying that you just plain cannot even reach 75db period?

That is a problem. What equipment are you using?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
okay thanks

when i set my reference (receiver) volume to 0db, i could not get the spl to go up to 75db per channel....

i have 2 choices..

which one should i do?
Those two are identical. It means you calibrated so that 0 on the volume control yields 70 dB. +5 would be 75 dB, -5 would be 65 dB, etc.

What test tones are you using? Most receivers have a range of +/- 12 dB for the channel trims and that should be plenty unless you have low sensitivity speakers or a large room and your seating position where you have the SPL meter is a long way away from the speakers.

Soundman

Soundman

Those two are identical. It means you calibrated so that 0 on the volume control yields 70 dB. +5 would be 75 dB, -5 would be 65 dB, etc.

What test tones are you using? Most receivers have a range of +/- 12 dB for the channel trims and that should be plenty unless you have low sensitivity speakers or a large room and your seating position where you have the SPL meter is a long way away from the speakers.
It seems like every receiver/processor is different. I started at 75db when callibrating my Emotiva, and it almost blew my ears off. I had to lower it down bigtime. It was just way way too earbleading loud! Maybe this isn't correct, but let me just say that i actually blew one of my tweeters out trying to callibrate it at 75db :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It seems like every receiver/processor is different. I started at 75db when callibrating my Emotiva, and it almost blew my ears off. I had to lower it down bigtime. It was just way way too earbleading loud! Maybe this isn't correct, but let me just say that i actually blew one of my tweeters out trying to callibrate it at 75db :eek:
What test tones did you use? Receiver test tones are pink noise and not full range but an partial octave.
How far was your meter or listening position?
75 dB shouldn't require any more than 1 watt, accounting for the distance loss perhaps. And, it doesn't sound that loud at all to me.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
okay thanks
i have 2 choices..
which one should i do?
What receiver? What was the source of the test tones? How far from the speakers were you measuring from? What is the range of the trim pots/channel volume controls in the setup menu? As MDS indicated, many/most receivers have a at least a +/- 10 dB range.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It seems like every receiver/processor is different. I started at 75db when callibrating my Emotiva, and it almost blew my ears off.
You don't have to actually listen to it at that level. ;)

My volume scale goes from 0 - 80. I set the reference level at 60 but rarely ever turn it up past 40-45.

Soundman

Soundman

What test tones did you use? Receiver test tones are pink noise and not full range but an partial octave.
How far was your meter or listening position?
75 dB shouldn't require any more than 1 watt, accounting for the distance loss perhaps. And, it doesn't sound that loud at all to me.:D
I used the test tones, set it to 75db as a starting point, as recomended by the manufacturer, and man it was loud! AM i MISSING SOMETHING HERE? :confused:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
75 dB of pink noise is pretty annoying so I think your reaction is pretty normal. :)

Now if you'd really like to be blown away, set the volume to the reference level you used when the calibration was done but play a modern remastered *loud* CD like say The Who. The average level on the CD will be 15-20 dB louder than the test tones (-10 dB vs -30 dB) and that will be tough to take - at least I can't stand it for more than a few minutes.

Soundman

Soundman

75 dB of pink noise is pretty annoying so I think your reaction is pretty normal. :)

Now if you'd really like to be blown away, set the volume to the reference level you used when the calibration was done but play a modern remastered *loud* CD like say The Who. The average level on the CD will be 15-20 dB louder than the test tones (-10 dB vs -30 dB) and that will be tough to take - at least I can't stand it for more than a few minutes.
That would be insane on my setup! That's why I thought I may be doing something wrong. I mean, I blew out a tweeter doing test tones. That can't be normal! And this was a tower speaker. So it should have better power handling then say a bookshelf or satelite.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis