R

Raptor

Audiophyte
Guys: I am confused, lost and frustrated ... and need help. I have the following arrangement:

Sony KDE-50XS955 HDTV http://www.crutchfield.com/S-utfDfJpF9dw/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&id=morephotos&i=15850XS955&pi=12&display=XL#Tab

Yamaha YSP-800 Digital Sound Projector http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/owner_manuals/YSP-800.pdf

Motorola DCT-6400 HD DVR Cable receiver http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/DCT6412/downloads/DCT6412_User_Guide.pdf

The video is connected from the DVR (DVI) to the HDTV (HDMI)
The audio is connected from the DVR (SPDIF out) to the YSP-800 (SPDIF in)
The units art controlled with a Logitech Harmony Remote

Basically, 1 video cable, 1 audio cable and 1 remote. Pretty fundamental. But, ...

It has been working ok (although that the audio is somewhat mutedand not as sharp as it should be) EXCEPT that I would like to use the TV speakers with the YSP and cannot get them to output. How can I get the TV speakers to output with the YSP?

I sure would appreciate help from you guys. This forum is great, but I just came accross Scooterman's newbie post and realized I might be able to get help from someone. ANy assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I presume you mean that you want the TV sound to come through the Yamaha YSP-800. You will want to shut off the speakers on the TV (consult the manual for how to do that) and you will want to hook up an audio output from the TV to the Yamaha YSP-800; use the optical digital output on the TV. If standard TV sound does not come through that (the HDTV audio output definitely should), then you will also need to hook up the RCA analog audio output on the TV to an analog input on the Yamaha YSP-800.

As for muted sound, I am not sure what you mean. You may want to take a look at the manual for the Yamaha YSP-800 and go through the setup procedure again.

Also, if you want deep bass, you need to add a subwoofer. If you don't want deep bass, ignore this paragraph.

R

Raptor

Audiophyte
Pyrrho: Thanks so much for the input. I've been off forum for awhile - hence the delayed response and thanks. I currently have a DVD with HDMI connection to the SONY TV through an HDMI switch. I have the DVR with HDMI connection thru the switch. The switch works with IR. Both the DVD and DVR have separate Toslink connections to the Yamaha. SONY speakers don't work in this set-up.

When I try to link the fibre from SONY to Yamaha (YSP), it won't work. Apparently SONY in its infinite wisdom only enabled the fibre-out if it detects analog audio-in. With HDMI audio in the SONY won't send a fibre signal out. WHen I connect the Yamaha with analog from the TV it is not 5.1 or even 3.1 and is not sharp.

The YSP has no way to pass the signal along to the SONY.

In retrospect it was a mistake to impulsively get the YSP - it just seemed so simple, though.

I have tried to also run analog from DVR to SONY but the Motorola Cable Box has an auto-detect I guess and won't send an analog and a fibre signal. (I may be all wet on this, but it looks that way - I hope I'm not so stupid as to have missed an obvious solution.)

Looks like I'm SOL!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
From rereading your original post, I think I may have misunderstood you the first time. Do you want the sound to come from both the Yamaha and the Sony at the same time? For the Yamaha's sound modes to work properly in artificially creating the illusion of surround speakers, you need to have the speakers from the Sony off. But if you want to do it anyway (which I would advise against), you will want to read the manuals for everything, and you will need to make sure that you are sending an audio signal to both the TV and the Yamaha at the same time. If any device cannot send an audio signal to both at the same time, then, from what you say, you are simply out of luck, since you say the Yamaha has no audio outputs, and you say the Sony will not output via optical when receiving audio via HDMI.

If you just want the sound for everything to come from the Yamaha: As for the sound when watching cable or DVR, you should be getting sound from the Yamaha as you have the DVR connected directly to the Yamaha. And when watching a DVD, you should be getting sound from the Yamaha as you have the DVD connected directly to the Yamaha. If you are also using an antenna with your TV's internal tuner, you would want to use a digital connection from the TV to the Yamaha. Otherwise, it will be unnecessary for such a connection.

I am still not sure that I have understood exactly what you want. Does the above answer your question?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis