Another 5.1/7.1 debate with questions about upgrad

D

dovplay

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Ok I have a couple of questions as a relative newbie to the world of home theatre...

Recently I purchased a 5.1 receiver. &nbsp;Now everyone is talking about the world of 6.1/7.1. &nbsp;From what I've read about online, it seems to me that the genera consensus among people is that it's more of a marketing scam to the public to get them to spend more money for a new receiver and more speakers. &nbsp;Plus I've heard that the DVD's are encoded in 5.1 anyways and that the extra channels are &quot;matrixed&quot; into it...whatever that means...because there currently are no DVD's released that are encoded in 7.1 discrete channels. &nbsp;Am I correct so far?

Also, I've heard from people who have 7.1 that there really is not much of big difference between 5.1 and 7.1 and that it doesn't seem really worth it to them...mostly what they hear are a few sounds here and there and background music.

My question is this...since I bought this receiver, is there any way to upgrade to 7.1 without buying a new one? &nbsp;Second question: since the sound is not discrete and is pretty much split between the left and right surrounds, is there major harm in just splicing two more speakers into the surround speakers, i.e connecting a right rear to the right surround speaker output on the receiver and a left rear to the left surround...basically running four speakers out of two outputs...I mean from what I hear it seems to me that it'll pretty much sound the same anyways in terms of surround sound and since the outputs on the surround speakers are much lower than the other speakers it doesn't seem to me that it'll do any damage to the equipment...

Any thoughts on this please? &nbsp;Or am I just spouting idiotic babble?

Thanks.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If you enjoy your new receiver, don't worry about the upgrade to 7.1/6.1. Not much of a difference with the rear center. If you want to experiment with the rear center stuff you can hook up and old Doly ProLogic receiver to the stereo rears of you new receiver. Run the Old DPL receiver in PL and use the the center just like a rear center. EX does the same thing as ProLogic.</font>

<font color='#000000'>I've stated this in other threads, but I just built a home and I set it up specifically for 5.1.

6.1 was an option, but I felt that given the nature of the room it wouldn't result in a significant enough audio enhancement.

A well-configured 5.1 room is going to sound fabulous. 7.1 should be configured if you have a room that can greatly benefit from it. 6.1/7.1 crammed into a room that isn't well suited for it will just result in a greater expenditure of funds... with little positive effect.</font>

G

GermanMan

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>If you just recently purchased your setup and are happy with it and it works just fine, then stay with it as it is. &nbsp;5.1 is plenty and sufficient for the theater experience. &nbsp;If you are still sitting on an old system of 10 years ago - a ProLogic system, lets say, and upgrading, then its a different story. &nbsp;While some rooms, do to size and geometry will not benefit from a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver, unless you know you will never move or change your room size/configuration, it can make sense to purchase the most flexible receiver you can get. &nbsp;Going to a 7.1 system would give you the option of having 7.1, if or when some 6.1 or 7.1 sources become available; with new recordings comming out in leaps and bounds, who knows. &nbsp;The 7.1 system, running 6.1 material can be beneficial if you have a very W I D E room so the folks sitting on the ends don't have the rear sound comming &nbsp;from thier actual right or left.

It is a bit of marketing push - there is no 7.1 source (or even 6.1 I think) available - but then will a studio put out such soundtracks if there is no player to support it? &nbsp;A chicken-and-egg situation. &nbsp;Of course we can also argue about the need for more speakers - maybe a speaker below or above would be better?

If the software will be there to support 6.1/7.1, ask me in 1.5 years. &nbsp;If you are going to buy a new system regardless - get one thats most flexible; its better to have and not need than need and not have. &nbsp;If you are not in the market for a new system, going from 5.1 to 6/7.1 is not a reason to be in the market - stick with what you have.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis