Matt34

Matt34

I've finally started using the PS3 as a gaming system but my controller is driving me insane. While playing Fallout 3 and Star Wars Unleashed my screen automatically starts to spin to the right for no reason. I can correct and stop it with the controller but after a few seconds it does it again.

Is it my controller or what?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What controls are you pressing when that happens and what buttons do you press to stop it. Do these games utilize the motion sensing capabilities of the controller?

Matt34

Matt34

What controls are you pressing when that happens and what buttons do you press to stop it. Do these games utilize the motion sensing capabilities of the controller?
I haven't noticed a pattern. I though it was just Fallout3 which I played first but it does it in the Star Wars game also. I'm not sure on the motion sensor thing.

To pan left and right in both games you have to use the right thumb stick.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I've finally started using the PS3 as a gaming system but my controller is driving me insane. While playing Fallout 3 and Star Wars Unleashed my screen automatically starts to spin to the right for no reason. I can correct and stop it with the controller but after a few seconds it does it again.

Is it my controller or what?
It looks like the controller is shutting off and reconnecting when the analog stick is not dead center. Analog controllers always auto calibrate when powering up so if u have the stick in a position that is not dead center it will think that is the center so when you have it in the middle it thinks its not really in the middle.

There is really no fix for this other than getting another controller.

Edit: Since the PS3 controllers connects via bluetooth at all times and the usb cord is only to charge it, it won't matter if it's plugged in or not. Something is causing the bluetooth to interfere and cause a disconnection in the signal while you are playing. The disconnection can happen for less than a second and that is why you are not seeing the controller go dead.

Matt34

Matt34

It looks like the controller is shutting off and reconnecting when the analog stick is not dead center. Analog controllers always auto calibrate when powering up so if u have the stick in a position that is not dead center it will think that is the center so when you have it in the middle it thinks its not really in the middle.

There is really no fix for this other than getting another controller.

Edit: Since the PS3 controllers connects via bluetooth at all times and the usb cord is only to charge it, it won't matter if it's plugged in or not. Something is causing the bluetooth to interfere and cause a disconnection in the signal while you are playing. The disconnection can happen for less than a second and that is why you are not seeing the controller go dead.
I just tried it again while keeping the controller plugged in and resetting the system and it continues to spin. Looks like I'll get another controller tomorrow.:mad:

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
Sorry Matt that stinks. Those are friggin expensive. Might as well go for the duel shock 3.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Matt34

Matt34

I got a new Dual Shock 3 controller and the problem has gone away. I completed the Star Wars: Unleashed demo and just may have to buy it. I actually had quite a bit of fun with it. I need to get back to playing Fallout 3 now that my controller problem is fixed.;)

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I got a new Dual Shock 3 controller and the problem has gone away. I completed the Star Wars: Unleashed demo and just may have to buy it. I actually had quite a bit of fun with it. I need to get back to playing Fallout 3 now that my controller problem is fixed.;)
I guess your PS3 controller was disconnecting over and over. Were you able to get a replacement controller or did you have to trash the one that didn't work?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you plug it in, it makes direct connection - the cable is not just for charging, however if the stick has a problem with the sensors inside, connected or not connected is not going to make a difference.

Were you able to return/exchange that one or did you just buy a new one?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
If you plug it in, it makes direct connection - the cable is not just for charging, however if the stick has a problem with the sensors inside, connected or not connected is not going to make a difference.

Were you able to return/exchange that one or did you just buy a new one?
The PS3 controller connects via bluetooth no matter if it's plugged in with the USB cable or not. All the USB cable does is charge the controller. There is no such thing as a bluetooth connection over usb.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Only in a recent firmware (2.3x or 2.4x) update did they even make it so that you could do an update without the controller plugged in. And these controllers DO have to be connected with the cable at least once for the system to recognize it as a local device, which is a little different than other devices that have to be added via the BT menu. I know this because I bought a used controller from someone and it would not connect to my system until it was plugged in, as well as my son's friend brought one of his over to play COD4 and we had to do the same. While there may not be much going on between the system and the controller, it isn't simply for charging, and you can charge the controllers other ways without the PS3.

Matt34

Matt34

I guess your PS3 controller was disconnecting over and over. Were you able to get a replacement controller or did you have to trash the one that didn't work?
I can't seem to find my receipt for it. It's somewhere around here in one of my packed deployment bags I'm sure. I've still got the broke one, may take it apart and mess with it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Google it - there are some write ups of how and what to take apart and be careful of when doing so for the controllers. One was a mod to have the PS button light up and it was fairly well written with a lot of pics. Was the one that broke a DS3 or a regular Sixaxis?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis